athlete with few others EC's - do I have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tracklete

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, if anyone could help inform me of what my chances are of getting accepted into medical school, and where I could improve my chances, I'd be very grateful.

I just finished my sophomore year, I'm doubling in neuroscience and chemistry, and I'm an athlete (I run track, if you couldn't tell by the name).

GPA - right now is about a 3.5. My first semester I wasn't very serious about school, got a 3.0, and have been working very hard to improve it (and have!). I'm confident I can improve it a little more, however, I only have limited time to do so. My grades have shown a wonderful upward trend, and I've continued to take classes in the subjects I originally struggled in, and done very well.

Track - is another large portion of my life. To be honest, it sort of controls it during the school year, and has large influences over the summer as well. I've ran track my entire life, and love the sport. On our team I've stepped into a leadership role from early on, and made my fair share of contributions to the organization. I've heard mixed things about sports as EC's, but it is what it is, and takes up so much time and energy I can't really participate in others.

That's what really concerns me - my lack of other EC's. During the school year, when training takes up a few hours a day all year long, it's hard to do a lot else and keep up with grades. During the first semester, which is off-season, I work as a calculus TA and do a lot of other math tutoring. Spring semester all I do is track and school. We travel every other weekend, sometimes weekends consecutively, all over Texas and the rest of the country, and I just don't have time for much else. Long story short - Track and Field is essentially my only significant extracurricular.

So once again, if anyone has any idea of where I stand, I'd love to hear your opinions. I've left out a lot of stuff too, so if I need to elaborate further, just ask. Also, if you have any ideas on where/how I can generally improve, that'd be great too.

Members don't see this ad.

You have teaching, leadership, and athleticism that tells many adcomms that you can rise above your own self interest to be a team player and dedicate yourself to something you're passionate about (altruism). I think you'd be forgiven for having no research, but you might try it during a fall semester just to have it on the application.

That leaves you with needing about 150 hours over 1.0-1.5 (the latter is about average) years of clinical experience and some shadowing. If you could give 2 hours a week or 4 hours every other week or 8 hours a month for the next one to two years to volunteering in a medical environment where you have patient contact, you'd be in good shape for clinical experience. If this is truly impossible for now, then don't feel it's essential to apply to med schools right out of college. It's OK to take some time and build your ECs so you have a decent shot at an acceptance. Average age of matriculation is 24.

Shadowing can be done at odd times over breaks and need not be a regular activity. I'd aim for 60-80 hours split among 2-3 docs, of which one is primary care.

Good job on raising your GPA. Keep up the good work.

I do track too...i'm doing my volunteering now during the offseason and i'm just gonna keep going; i'm gonna start doing research too in the fall. for the season though, i'll keep doing everything but just cut down the hours (volunteering will be just once every 2 weeks per month since track meets will be the other 2 most likely). research is just during the week.

i might end up not doing next season anyways since mcat is looming.

if anything though, do not lot school work stop you from working out!!! and don't let working out stop your from studying!!!

i don't know what you run, but i do 800m... my training takes longer since it's longer distance than a 1 or 2 or 4 guy, but much shorter than a 12 or 15. Basically takes me about 1 hr and a half for out at the track + weight room. that leaves me the other hours for class and stuff. studying comes whenever possible... whether it's my notecards i made that i just keep looking at.

pure fun is on weekends every like...month