Athletic Trainers in PT school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ATCandDPT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I majored in athletic training in college, and I'm currently certified and licensed. I decided to go to PT school my junior year of college because my favorite part of athletic training is rehabbing patients. I've worked in the PT world as a tech and I enjoy it. I love both athletic training and physical therapy. There are pros and cons to both. Right now I'm not sure what I want to do. For those students who are athletic trainers, what made you decide to go to Physical therapy school? What are some things you can do with both an ATC and a DPT?

Members don't see this ad.

PT hours are much much better. so is the pay generally. you don't have athletes call you at three in the morning after spraining their MCL in the mosh pit at a concert and expect you to treat it right then.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, with both, you are more qualified to provide event coverage and that translates to marketing/advertising for the business you work for.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, with both, you are more qualified to provide event coverage and that translates to marketing/advertising for the business you work for.
I appreciate your advice! But I wouldn’t say I would be more qualified to work event coverage. I understand PTs go through more school but ATs are well qualified to cover sidelines.
I think as long as I can do both, I’ll be happy. I love both worlds.

What I meant was with the ATC credential you are more qualified to cover events that you would be as a PT without the credential. PTs should not cover events unless that is all that the school has access to.
sorry for the confusion. I was trying to say that with both, you are more marketable to a potential employer than you would be with either credential by itself.

What I meant was with the ATC credential you are more qualified to cover events that you would be as a PT without the credential. PTs should not cover events unless that is all that the school has access to.
sorry for the confusion. I was trying to say that with both, you are more marketable to a potential employer than you would be with either credential by itself.
Okay! Sorry I misinterpreted what you were saying!

I think 1/4 of my class was ATC's who didn't want to work 80 hours a week and make $35k a year.