Athletic Training Student- can I make it into med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjone4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! New to the forums and looking to get some advice.... Lots of information on here with a lot of people willing to help but I can't seem to find anything on my unique situation....

I am currently an Athletic Training major and have taken several science based classes (anatomy and physiology, injury assessment) that I believe would strongly benefit me with my application process but have limited coursework in the typical pre req classes (Physics I and II, Calc I and II, but have AP credit in Chem and Bio). This makes me believe I would be a possible candidate for the Career Changer Programs....

I currently have around a 3.5-3.6 cumulative GPA and was wondering how good my chances are getting into a program like Bryn Mawr or another top Career Changer Program

Thanks again for any advice you could give!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! New to the forums and looking to get some advice.... Lots of information on here with a lot of people willing to help but I can't seem to find anything on my unique situation....

I am currently an Athletic Training major and have taken several science based classes (anatomy and physiology, injury assessment) that I believe would strongly benefit me with my application process but have limited coursework in the typical pre req classes (Physics I and II, Calc I and II, but have AP credit in Chem and Bio). This makes me believe I would be a possible candidate for the Career Changer Programs....

I currently have around a 3.5-3.6 cumulative GPA and was wondering how good my chances are getting into a program like Bryn Mawr or another top Career Changer Program

Thanks again for any advice you could give!

I'm guessing you're in your senior year?Why not take an additional year at your current university? Career changer programs are generally targeted at exactly that, career changers. Your career has yet to start. How are your ECs? Any clinical exposure? Volunteer Experience?

I have extensive experience working with athletes on campus providing treatments and injury evaluations, but this isn't under direct supervision of a physician. We work closely with one, and he approves all our day to day activities, but he only is in once a week.

I plan on working with a MD over the summer to gain volunteer experience.

What really drew me in to the post bacc programs were the structured environment, the linkage programs, and the ability to get the committee recommendation letter.

Maybe I'm getting too far ahead of myself, but med school is something I'd really like to consider. I'm not the average pre-med applicant so figuring out how I should make my goals happen is just requiring a little extra effort.