Atlantic Bridge 2020 Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got an invite from RCSI! I've already committed to another school state-side, but I was super excited they were interested in me at all. Would've love to go there, just wasn't the best financial option for me in the long run. Posting to offer hope to some of the low stat apps that often get screened out from US schools (GPA 3.2; MCAT 510 --post bacc 4.0 w/ 40+ units and strong research/publications though). Good luck everyone!
What was your masters in? Would you recommend a specific postbacc program? MD or DO stateside?

Members don't see this ad.

Could anyone on this thread with applying experience advise me?
WAMC?
Low sGPA (2.4), high upward trend of cGPA (3.0) [I got a 4.0 each year after science grades]. Still have to take org chem 2, bio 2, and English prereqs.
Nursing student at Canadian uni. Clinical experience, volunteering, 3 years of clinical research, tour guide, health policy, first author pubs, good LOR

Has anyone heard from schools this week or recently?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received an offer for the 5 year program from more than 1 school?

I got offers from both rcsi and ucd.
I am still in a dilemma of choosing one of them. In my country, people see rcsi more prestigious than ucd but I don't care about that too much.
Education quality is my priority.... What should I choose?

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone received an offer for the 5 year program from more than 1 school?
Nope, just received an offer from NUIG for the 5 year program back in April, but I declined. Really want to hear something from TCD, it’s driving me insane!

What was your masters in? Would you recommend a specific postbacc program? MD or DO stateside?
My journey is not a good map to follow, just trying to say it is possible to get admitted with low stats if you know this is your dream. My Masters was in Pharmacology and Toxicology and was research based. I had no intention of doing medicine when I did the program, I just really like science and the project I muscled my way into. The post-bacc courses where at a local community college and was mainly to show I can pull out a 4.0 with a full course load and two full-time jobs. I'm starting at a MD program in the fall, but I was admitted to both MD and DO programs.

Reactions: 1 user
I got offers from both rcsi and ucd.
I am still in a dilemma of choosing one of them. In my country, people see rcsi more prestigious than ucd but I don't care about that too much.
Education quality is my priority.... What should I choose?
Depends on your goals and what country you want to pursue medicine after. If you want to go back to your country, go with the more prestigious. If you'd rather practice elsewhere (Ireland), go UCD.

Hi!
Wondering if anyone who stayed at Glenomena at UCD last year would be willing to chat with me?
Thanks!

Does Atlantic Bridge allow Interfolio LORs? When does the window for applications open for the 2021 school year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on your goals and what country you want to pursue medicine after. If you want to go back to your country, go with the more prestigious. If you'd rather practice elsewhere (Ireland), go UCD.
It won't make a difference if I graduated from rcsi or ucd when I go back to my country.....people see rcsi more prestigious just because of the name (royal college). That's why I said I don't really care that much about it.
The dead lines are close.... But I still can't choose!!!
My head is gonna explode

It won't make a difference if I graduated from rcsi or ucd when I go back to my country.....people see rcsi more prestigious just because of the name (royal college). That's why I said I don't really care that much about it.
The dead lines are close.... But I still can't choose!!!
My head is gonna explode
Consider the tuition and the peer factor.

UCD is more prestigious in Ireland, a lot of Irish students would rank this school first on their order of prefereces when they apply. It's also in South Dublin (the poshest area) and affiliated with a D4 public hospital called St. Vincents. The postcode D4 is considered upperclass with very expensive real estate.

Meanwhile, RCSI has sold its name to Bahrain and Malaysia, to attract international students who are willing to pay $60 000 per year for medical school. It's absurd money, considering locals are paying $17000 per year. Local students are subsidized for $10 000 by the Irish government, so in reality our local tuition is $27 000 per year. Why foreign students are charged $60 000 is beyond me.

Reactions: 4 users
Hello! I was just accepted into Galway through Atlantic Bridge for their 5 year program today for Fall 2020. I was wondering if anyone else was accepted?
Hello! Would you be able to share your stats? I just want to gauge the level before I apply. :) Thank you!

Hey! I had a Skype interview on March 10th and then got an offer on the 12th. How about you?
Hi! I’m also a high school student from Canada and I was wondering if you could share your stats as the admissions has said that the acceptance rate for international high school students is very low.

Just got my rejection letter from TCD :(. Hope all of you still waiting for a decision have better luck!

Just got my rejection letter from TCD :(. Hope all of you still waiting for a decision have better luck!
Received my rejection letter from TCD as well. :( Was going crazy the last few weeks waiting for a response. Oh well. At least no more waiting to hear from them.

Those are 5-year or 6-year applications?

I just got accepted to TCD and I am currently debating between a couple of schools.

Did anyone figure out their loans CIBC just denied my loans. I have no parents just my sister? Have anyone tried another bank like nbc or bmo . TD told me that I need strong cosigners with lots of assets ?

I just got accepted to TCD and I am currently debating between a couple of schools.

Did anyone figure out their loans CIBC just denied my loans. I have no parents just my sister? Have anyone tried another bank like nbc or bmo . TD told me that I need strong cosigners with lots of assets ?
You have no parents but your sister? ....I did not understand the severity of your situation but since you have made to med school it is a success! Ask your foster parents if they can help you (do you have those?) Do you have mentors or someone who understands your situation? You can try them. Or ask for help from TCD if they are responsive.

I saw a post here a while ago about someone asking for a co-signer last minute and they got it at the end. (That is on sdn).

I am not too clear about 5 year application details but if you do another year of college, can you have a try at it again?
I'm planning to do a 1 year Master's for 2020-2021, apply again to Ontario med schools in this upcoming cycle and also apply to Ireland again. The Caribbean crosses my mind, but have not done enough research into it as yet. TCD would have been ideal for me as I have some family in Dublin who are faculty, but everything happens for a reason. Trying to hold on to some hope! Best of luck to anyone still waiting, and all who are starting their med journey this year! :)

You have no parents but your sister? ....I did not understand the severity of your situation but since you have made to med school it is a success! Ask your foster parents if they can help you (do you have those?) Do you have mentors or someone who understands your situation? You can try them. Or ask for help from TCD if they are responsive.

I saw a post here a while ago about someone asking for a co-signer last minute and they got it at the end. (That is on sdn).

thanks for the TCD suggestion ! I will contact them and see ?

The tuition deadline for GEM is July 1st. Some people might not inform AB they will not matriculate but will simply not pay the rest of the tuition..You can ask UCC after July 1st, they might have some seats unfilled.

Just got my MCAT score back and sent it to AB All about shooting your shot for what you want haha
Adjustments.jpg

• Haha
Hi!! I'm applying for the 2021 year. I need a shot of some cold hard truth from you guys, because my academic history is not impressive. I'm a junior neuroscience student at tennessee. I had a highschool gpa of 4.35 and currently a college gpa of 3.3. I have not taken the MCAT but I made a 31 on the ACT. I feel like my personal statement and rec letters will be good but my resume is lacking because due to corona I lost my job and was unable to find one in the health field. Becoming a doctor is my only dream and I want to be in Ireland badly, away from where I am now. BUT I understand that I may have to wait a year to be able to compete. What do you guys think?

Hi!! I'm applying for the 2021 year. I need a shot of some cold hard truth from you guys, because my academic history is not impressive. I'm a junior neuroscience student at tennessee. I had a highschool gpa of 4.35 and currently a college gpa of 3.3. I have not taken the MCAT but I made a 31 on the ACT. I feel like my personal statement and rec letters will be good but my resume is lacking because due to corona I lost my job and was unable to find one in the health field. Becoming a doctor is my only dream and I want to be in Ireland badly, away from where I am now. BUT I understand that I may have to wait a year to be able to compete. What do you guys think?
I haven’t followed this thread in a while, but I saw your post so I figured I’d chime in.

If you want cold hard truth, a 3.3 gpa isn’t very competitive. That being said, gpa is only one part of the equation. Now more than ever, schools want well rounded students with extracurriculars that make them stand out. I made it to RCSI and I’m headed there in a few weeks, but I struck out entirely applying to US schools with a gpa of 3.92 and a 515 MCAT. I’ll admit my extracurriculars were lacking for personal reasons (won’t bore you with the details lol) but I do know of other applicants who did much better than me with lower scores but better experiences.

If becoming a physician is truly your only dream, then you have to work for it. Do your best to finish college with straight A’s to bring up that gpa a bit, and look for opportunities wherever you can. With covid I don’t think anyone really knows how that will affect applicants in the future, but the more experience you can get the better. I graduated a couple years ago, so you don’t need to apply right away if you can significantly boost your resume by taking a year or two to do other things. Good luck!

Hi guys! I'm thinking of applying to UCC, UCD, NUIG, and RCSI. I wanted to get some insight into my stats if you think I'd actually make it cause I'm honestly really nervous.

I'm a non-trad student but I graduated with advanced placement and honors at my high school in 2016 with a GPA of 3.54 (I think that's unweighted?). I took a gap of a few years since then but I did 200 hours of volunteering in a hospital, 100 hours in a VA hospital, some shadowing at a pediatric clinic, and I will be shadowing at a primary/urgent care soon. I've also done 200+ hrs of community service, I was trained for a summer in a research lab, and I will be doing neuroscience research at a neuroscience institute this upcoming summer. I took a couple of classes of psych, developmental psych in university but that's about it.

What do you think my chances are?? And do you think I would be counted for the 5 yr program if I am currently taking physics, chem, and bio in college?

L
Hi guys! I'm thinking of applying to UCC, UCD, NUIG, and RCSI. I wanted to get some insight into my stats if you think I'd actually make it cause I'm honestly really nervous.

I'm a non-trad student but I graduated with advanced placement and honors at my high school in 2016 with a GPA of 3.54 (I think that's unweighted?). I took a gap of a few years since then but I did 200 hours of volunteering in a hospital, 100 hours in a VA hospital, some shadowing at a pediatric clinic, and I will be shadowing at a primary/urgent care soon. I've also done 200+ hrs of community service, I was trained for a summer in a research lab, and I will be doing neuroscience research at a neuroscience institute this upcoming summer. I took a couple of classes of psych, developmental psych in university but that's about it.

What do you think my chances are?? And do you think I would be counted for the 5 yr program if I am currently taking physics, chem, and bio in college?
sent you a reply

I cant really tell you exactly about GPA but depends where you are coming from and the average of your program. In general, I suggest at least 3.5 and above
I asked the bridge program and they said the only schools that have a minimum gpa is University in Dublin (3.08) and Trinity(3.3)

I cant really tell you exactly about GPA but depends where you are coming from and the average of your program. In general, I suggest at least 3.5 and above
I asked the program and they said only University in Dublin(3.08) and Trinity(3.3) had minimum

Hello everyone,

im back in Canada from Ireland due to COVID-19 situation and my exams are all online now lol. If anyone needs any info regards to medical applications, or specifically UCC, send your reply here so everyone can benefit from it! Good luck! <3

PS. i just finished first year in UCC :)
Hi there!
If you dont mind me asking, what were your undergrad stats? as well did you take the MCAT?

Hello ,
Are you on a five or four year program?
Have you already completed an undergrad?

Thank you

Hi everyone, I know this is an older thread but wondering if anyone could give me some insight. I recently received an offer for UCD GEM which I am seriously considering accepting. I'm wondering if anyone can speak on how this year went online, and if they have any ideas of whether next year will be online as well. Additionally, are there any NA students who signed up for residence placements at their schools and then the entire year ended up being online - were you able to get a refund? (lol this might be me thinking too optimistically but I will be upset if I pay for residence and then we don't even have to be there).

Hi everyone, I know this is an older thread but wondering if anyone could give me some insight. I recently received an offer for UCD GEM which I am seriously considering accepting. I'm wondering if anyone can speak on how this year went online, and if they have any ideas of whether next year will be online as well. Additionally, are there any NA students who signed up for residence placements at their schools and then the entire year ended up being online - were you able to get a refund? (lol this might be me thinking too optimistically but I will be upset if I pay for residence and then we don't even have to be there).
I am a student in UCD,
All is going well online.
Yes UCD refund all money owing .
Not sure about next semester. I believe that you will be joining my year .

Reactions: 1 user