ATP Production

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Glycolysis Net = 2
Krebs+ETC Net = 34.

I have to know this for my physio exam coming up, but I can't find it anywhere in my text. What is the net ATP for Krebs and ETC individually?

Members don't see this ad.

Glycolysis Net = 2
Krebs+ETC Net = 34.

I have to know this for my physio exam coming up, but I can't find it anywhere in my text. What is the net ATP for Krebs and ETC individually?

1 glucose --> Glycolysis = 2 pyruvate = 2 acetyl-CoA = 2 turns in krebs = 6 NADH, 2FADH2, 2GTP = 24ATP.

so...if there's 34 net ATPs for krebs and ETC then ETC should produce 10 ATPs?

I don't have my book in front of me but for some reason i remember kreb being 2 and ET being 32?

Glycolysis Net = 2
Krebs+ETC Net = 34.

EK says "Each turn of the Krebs produces 1 ATP, 3NADH, and 1 FADH2"

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses. Just reread the section in my A&P book and it says that Glycolysis nets 2, Krebs 2, and ETC the rest (32 or 34 depending on certain things).

I guess the NADH and FADH2 created by Krebs gets used in the ETC so technically they don't count as ATP produced by Krebs.

Straight from Kaplan: The "rule of 2"/ Every energy output per glucose associated with cellular respiration is "2" except that there are 6NADH from the TCA cycle

Per glucose:
2 ATP (from glycolysis)
2 NADH (from glycolysis)
2 NADH (from decarboxylation to pyruvate)
6 NADH (from TCA)
2 FADH (from TCA cycle
2 ATP (from TCA cycle

Oxidative Phosphorylation
34 ATP from ETC

Each turn of the citric cycle generates one ATP via substrate-level phosphorylation and a GTP intermediate, for a total of 2 ATP per glucose molecule

Straight from Kaplan: The "rule of 2"/ Every energy output per glucose associated with cellular respiration is "2" except that there are 6NADH from the TCA cycle

Per glucose:
2 ATP (from glycolysis)
2 NADH (from glycolysis)
6 NADH (from TCA)
2 FADH (from TCA cycle
2 ATP (from TCA cycle

34 ATP from ETC

That's pretty awesome. Thanks!

Niiiiiccceeee.... gunna put that one in my back pocket for later. :thumbup:

Per glucose:
2 ATP (from glycolysis)
2 NADH (from glycolysis)
6 NADH (from TCA)
2 FADH (from TCA cycle
2 ATP (from TCA cycle

34 ATP from ETC

Per glucose:
2 ATP (from glycolysis)
2 NADH (from glycolysis)
6 NADH (from TCA)
2 FADH (from TCA cycle
2 ATP (from TCA cycle

34 ATP from ETC

But remember, some NADH are stupid and don't use the more efficient shuttle ;)

stupid = not in the liver? (2.5 per Liver shuttle, and 1.5 per non-liver shuttle) i forget where the more efficient shuttle is.

stupid = not in the liver? (2.5 per Liver shuttle, and 1.5 per non-liver shuttle) i forget where the more efficient shuttle is.

Who cares, just know that energy is derived from the proton gradient, and that some shuttles (mal/asp) generates more energy due to pumping more protons across the inner mitochondrial membrane, and that some shuttles (gly3p) generate less energy because they pump LESS proton per NADH.

NADH is the reducing equivalent, the currency that allows oxidation to pump ATP across the inner mt membrane.

ATP generation is due to the electrical potential energy of the proton gradient being harnessed via the ATP synthase.

For the MCAT, think general terms and general principles.

Oh, and some energy is lost as heat too, so the number is not perfect. Thermogenesis and all that uses up a lot of ATP.

Who cares, just know that energy is derived from the proton gradient, and that some shuttles (mal/asp) generates more energy due to pumping more protons across the inner mitochondrial membrane, and that some shuttles (gly3p) generate less energy because they pump LESS proton per NADH.

NADH is the reducing equivalent, the currency that allows oxidation to pump ATP across the inner mt membrane.

ATP generation is due to the electrical potential energy of the proton gradient being harnessed via the ATP synthase.

For the MCAT, think general terms and general principles.

Oh, and some energy is lost as heat too, so the number is not perfect. Thermogenesis and all that uses up a lot of ATP.

Yea, my A&P book said net 36 in brain and 38 in Liver/Heart, but that the number is more like 30 since some of the ATP gets consumed.