ATSU-KCOM Class of 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dntke1518

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Feel free to post a bit about yourself, and congrats!

Not sure if there is a facebook group yet or not...

Members don't see this ad.

Just sent in my deposit!! Can't wait for next year! Kirksville, here we come

Members don't see this ad :)
is there a facebook group yet??? im excited to meet everyone!

No facebook group yet. I will start one today!!

That would be great! Can't wait to meet you all!

I have created a facebook group. PM me if you would like to be added!

Great, could you link to the group? I can't seem to find it

Well its official, my wife and I have decided to commit to KCOM! I will send in the deposit tomorrow. Congrats to everyone! Soon we will begin the next leg of our journey to become physicians!

Also sent request to join FB group.

Well I hope everyone had a great thanksgiving! FB group should be up to date!

Anyways, back to the grind of work again...

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be sending my deposit in either today or Monday. I've requested a couple times to join the FB group. Can someone accept my request? Looking forward to meeting everyone soon!

Why is this thread at the bottom?

Congratulations, everyone! I am an ATSU-KCOM OMS I as well, and would like to extend an early welcome to you all! Enjoy the remainder of your time to the fullest, and do not hesitate to let any of the current students know if you have any concerns /need any tips, help moving, ect. Best of luck in your new beginning!

- Jennifer Bubel
ATSU / KCOM - OMS I
University Sudent Association - boardmember
[email protected]

Congratulations, everyone! I am an ATSU-KCOM OMS I as well, and would like to extend an early welcome to you all! Enjoy the remainder of your time to the fullest, and do not hesitate to let any of the current students know if you have any concerns /need any tips, help moving, ect. Best of luck in your new beginning!

- Jennifer Bubel
ATSU / KCOM - OMS I
University Sudent Association - boardmember
[email protected]

Thanks! It's always nice to see current students at KCOM enjoying themselves and being so welcoming to us noobs.

Definitely looking forward to this August...

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Thanks! It's always nice to see current students at KCOM enjoying themselves and being so welcoming to us noobs.

Definitely looking forward to this August...

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

:thumbup:

Hello newly anointed KCOMers! You all should be very proud. I hope that you are enjoying the next few months.

My name is Andy Horine and I am a 4th year, so very close to graduation. I am about to move away from Kirksville to complete my residency in Family Medicine. When I enrolled in KCOM and moved ot Kirksville I decided to purchase a house. As I am now leaving I will be selling that house soon. There are many reasons I am glad I bought. For one, it is much much much cheaper to pay a monthly mortgage and I built equity along with a great credit score being a home owner.

Before I formally post the house with a Real Estate Agent I am making attempts to sell it to incoming KCOM students as a For Sale By Owner. If you are familiar, you know that selling a house yourself is better than having to pay 6% commission to a realtor. I can say that my house will only be more expensive on the open market due to me having to pass this 6% on to the buyer.

My house is a 2 bedroom 1 bath less than a mile from the school/hospital. I am looking to just get out of it what I put in, not "flipping" it for a profit. I would recommend to you all not to waste money renting in Kirksville and buy. Houses are very affordable here.

Email me at [email protected] or call me at 660-234-5043 anytime. I would be willing to show the house to you at an agreed time and I could send lots of pictures.

Thanks for reading!

I heard from a current med student at another school that a friend's husband is at KCOM and was telling everyone that the curriculum is all screwed up and such. Has anyone heard anything of the sort?

I heard from a current med student at another school that a friend's husband is at KCOM and was telling everyone that the curriculum is all screwed up and such. Has anyone heard anything of the sort?
I have heard that they have been changing a few aspects of the cirriculum due to them adopting the block testing, but I haven't heard that it is screwed up by any means.

I believe the current 2nd years had a bumpier transition to block testing. As a current 1st year, I like the curriculum lineup. It makes sense studying muscle tissue in chemistry, physiology, and histology all at the same time.

Last edited:
AT_still.7595850.jpg

;)

I believe the current 2nd years had a bumpier transition to block testing. As a current 1st year, I like the curriculum lineup. It makes sense studying muscle tissue in chemistry, physiology, and histology all at the same time.

Yes, there are changes. For example, the method for us getting our test scores back after blocks seems to change a little each time. The general consensus seems to be that we have had a more consistent experience than the current second years, mostly because we started with block tests from the very beginning.

I really like what they are doing with the curriculum alignment. It makes it much easier to find the cross-connections between subjects that make real learning stick with you. Each block varies on how well this is accomplished; certain topics are better at "playing nice" with others. At any rate, the administration seems to have a relatively clear goal that is guiding their changes, so even though not everything is completely settled down yet, the changes that do keep showing up are minor and consistent with what they are trying to do. I haven't felt like my education has been compromised in any way.

BTW, congratulations. It will be great to meet you all come fall.

Hey KCOM students, I asked this in the pre-med forum, but didn't get a response:

Does anyone know anything about the rotations in MN? I (when I get to that point) may be applying for away rotations there, do you guys know if they offer all the different core rotations there or just some?

Hey KCOM students, I asked this in the pre-med forum, but didn't get a response:

Does anyone know anything about the rotations in MN? I (when I get to that point) may be applying for away rotations there, do you guys know if they offer all the different core rotations there or just some?
http://www.atsu.edu/kcom/clinical_rotations/index.htm
St. Cloud is listed as a core site, maybe a current student can chime in...

That's what I'm hoping for. My family is there, it's where I'm from, I figure a couple rotations back there would be nice :) good way to spend some time with my family :)

That's what I'm hoping for. My family is there, it's where I'm from, I figure a couple rotations back there would be nice :) good way to spend some time with my family :)
Are these rotations that you are planning on for 4th year?

I will see if I can do them at any point. I am not picky, I just want to use the time to see my family :) and my mentor works in St. Cloud :)

The core rotations sites are like your "home base" for 3rd and 4th year rotations. You complete all of your core rotations at this site, then you can arrange rotations at other sites as you wish.

St. Cloud is the only core rotation site in MN and it has spots for a few students, but even if you don't end based there for 3rd and 4th year you will have the opportunity to set up rotations (especially during your 4th year) in MN programs.

Thanks for your help! :)

Congrats to all! Just letting you know, OMS3 here and will be lurking from time to time, feel free to ask any and all questions as I'm sure I'm not the only current student who wastes their study time on this website.

I guess this message really pertains to KCOM students who have gone through the new changes in curriculum:

I was wondering how exactly the block system was setup. How many weeks are in a block? Are the cumulative tests at the end of each block or semester? I would greatly appreciate any additional information you have regarding the curriculum. Also could you give me your overall opinion on whether you think this system is adequately preparing you for boards.

I guess this message really pertains to KCOM students who have gone through the new changes in curriculum:

I was wondering how exactly the block system was setup. How many weeks are in a block? Are the cumulative tests at the end of each block or semester? I would greatly appreciate any additional information you have regarding the curriculum. Also could you give me your overall opinion on whether you think this system is adequately preparing you for boards.

Each block is usually 3 weeks worth of lecture material and a day of block tests (usually on a Monday after the weekend you have been dreading). Then after 3-4 sets of 3-week blocks, you take the last block test on a Monday as usual, and then have block finals that same Friday. So you have that whole week to study without any classes. The block finals are cumulative and only include the sciences, not the OTM course or The Complete DOctor course. It's more of them testing your stamina on finals because you literally are nonstop testing from 8 to around 5 with a 20 min break every hour and a lunch break. So the last few sections of tests I tend to care less and less and just want the thing to be over with. I dunno if I can answer about which system I like better because I wasn't here for the old system of tests spread out and not all in one. With that system I heard they had a test or two every week and there was NO downtime. At least with blocks you get a small break after each big block test. Though we just had blocks 2 days ago and I'm in that "break" mode so my opinion may change in 2.5 weeks when the next doomsday is approaching....

Any newbies gonna be living in Kirksville this summer?

Mbeas will be up there towards the middle/end of july.

Get pumped... just a few months away.

My girlfriend and I get up there around august 2nd.

Sent from my PG86100 using SDN Mobile

lmfao-party-rocks-o.gif

Super pumped and ready to get this show on the road. Oh, and I'm moving in on July 24th, so if anyone else is gonna be there, we can meet up

Last edited:
I'm all moved in now to the "big" town. So far, my neighbor has pulled in to his driveway on a horse the past couple of days and an old lady down the street drives her lawnmower to work every day. Needless to say, this place is pretty great.