Attack of the Killer Research Day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Supersheep

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A funny story (in hind sight at least ;) )

So today was our community wide research day and like any good (?, nuts?)3rd year medical student going into path, I prepared an oral presentation on some of the research that I've been working on... little did I know...

1. On the way to the auditorium, I got the funny feeling that the SUV behind me was following me and after I pulled into the parking lot, the guy pulled right in front of my car and got out. I must have looked even paler than normal as he then just waved and pointed to my rear tire- I guess one of the lugnuts was sticking out a bit- (HR=200, BP 180/100)

2. At about 50 yards from the door, all of the sudden it started downpouring with thunder and lightning. Wow, a free shower- how exciting!

3. I even went last night to set up and run through the presentation and everything worked (ah, note the past tense) great. I was the first presentation of the day and at about the 3rd slide, I noticed confused looks on peoples' faces. Looking back at the screen, the slides were advancing on the computer, but not on the monitor. After 10 minutes with IT in the room, they finally got it working so that the screen was showing the slides, but not the computer monitor (HR 250, BP 200/110- ready to explode). Doh... that'll put a crimp in the presentation.

4. Halfway through my presentation about 20 people decided to enter from the front of the room, walk in front of me, and find seats in the audience while crinkling their plastic drug rep goody bags (Forget the vitals, now I'm just angry).

At that point I considered jumping out the window, but to my luck, there weren't any in the room :D Please tell me that these things get better- please! I just don't think that my cardiovascular system can take much more of this :)

Members don't see this ad.

Supersheep - I think things can only get better from here! If you survived all that, you can survive anything! :D

My random story contribution:

So apparently this guy phoned my parents' house earlier this week because he thought that deschutes the prodigal daughter had returned.

Mum says he sounded very excited when he asked for me, and was disappointed to hear I wouldn't be home for another month. (But then again, of course she would say that.)

He gave his name as Richard and claimed to be an ex-schoolmate.

The thing is - I don't know any Richards, whether from school or from the rest of my life.

I wonder if this is the same guy who text-messaged my cellphone when I was home 2 years ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
That deal with the computer screen and the display screen not being synched has happened to me as well - there are all kinds of settings that can provide that, and they are not all intuitive. And the problem with computers is that they are too smart and try to predict what you want, but then they make changing what it selects complicated and difficult.

deschutes said:
Ya think? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm a SmellyHungryCrankyBitch. I don't usually make guys want to stalk me.

This does not help. I am a FatSmellyHungryCrankyBitch and I still got stalked once. Had to end up getting a new unlisted phone number and other stuff like that.

interesting how "killer research" relates to being stalked by weird guys. please do elaborate...i wanna hear more.

AndyMilonakis said:
interesting how "killer research" relates to being stalked by weird guys. please do elaborate...i wanna hear more.
It's actually a fairly linear association.

Killer = weird guys
Research = stalked

My sister-in-law got stalked by her brother's girlfriend. The girlfriend didn't feel accepted by my sister-in-law's family, and she wanted somebody in the family to feel as much pain as she did. (This is how she explained it later). We are talking serious stalking here. The police ended up involved!! (She didn't know who the stalker was for a long time). So after the police were involved, the stalker got caught. To make it even crazier, her brother ended up marrying this girl anyway!! :confused:
If I were dating a guy who started stalking somebody (in my family, nonetheless!) that would be an automatic dealbreaker.

deschutes said:
"More" stalking stories? You subscribe to them?

Hey is your name Richard?
actually that's my roommate's name. oh shoot...i've said too much. :laugh:

seriously though, you know, i know, the american people know that my name is not richard.