attempting to apply/match for psych this year, am I nuts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freudianslip908

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to get a couple of opinions on my plans for this year and if they seem totally unattainable or not.

I'm an IMG, graduated April 2014, and just moved back to the states in June. I REALLY want to try to go for the match this year, I know it's a long shot, but I figure I might as well go for it.

I've got 6 months of US experience, got 4 LOR's all lined up (3 from psychiatrists in US), started my personal statement, got my dean's letter sent, etc...
Taken my Step 2 CS.
Undergrad in Psychology from a US school.
US Citizen

BUT...I still haven't taken my Step 1 or Step 2 CK. I'm planning on taking my Step 1 in early September (<2 weeks), and Step 2 CK in Mid October.

I wouldn't have even bothered going for it this year, but I spoke to the program director where I did my psychiatry rotation and he said that I should definitely go for their program this year since they liked me and the closer to graduation I was the better. He said latest I could apply is Nov-Dec since they don't interview until Jan.

Is this plan too crazy/unattainable? Do other psych programs interview late? There is no other field I would want to go into and I love psychiatry, but I kinda feel like I might be putting all my eggs in one basket. Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just wanted to get a couple of opinions on my plans for this year and if they seem totally unattainable or not.

I'm an IMG, graduated April 2014, and just moved back to the states in June. I REALLY want to try to go for the match this year, I know it's a long shot, but I figure I might as well go for it.

I've got 6 months of US experience, got 4 LOR's all lined up (3 from psychiatrists in US), started my personal statement, got my dean's letter sent, etc...
Taken my Step 2 CS.
Undergrad in Psychology from a US school.
US Citizen

BUT...I still haven't taken my Step 1 or Step 2 CK. I'm planning on taking my Step 1 in early September (<2 weeks), and Step 2 CK in Mid October.

I wouldn't have even bothered going for it this year, but I spoke to the program director where I did my psychiatry rotation and he said that I should definitely go for their program this year since they liked me and the closer to graduation I was the better. He said latest I could apply is Nov-Dec since they don't interview until Jan.

Is this plan too crazy/unattainable? Do other psych programs interview late? There is no other field I would want to go into and I love psychiatry, but I kinda feel like I might be putting all my eggs in one basket. Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated, thanks!
The vast majority of programs won't give your application any consideration until they see the Step 1 and CK scores. Assuming CK results are not available until mid to late November, there will not be a lot of interview slots available to you this year. If you do exceedingly well on your Boards you might catch the eye of another program that late in the game but an average score, even though respectable, won't help that much when you are that late (because people with similar scores have already been invited and taken the available slots). Thus, if you apply this year it is mainly with the goal of getting an interview at your "local" program.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many programs are you planning on applying to?

Last edited:
So my step 1 results should come in hopefully by end of September, and results of Step 2CK HOPEFULLY by early November. I was planning on applying to 100 programs but may cut it down to 50 . Do you think it would be wise/unwise to apply to that many programs so late in the game aka a waste of money? Thank you for your responses!