Attending CCNY this fall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bestofluck

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I decided on CCNY for the fall of this year. I gotta register in August. Anyone else going there? If you are, see you in the fall !

Members don't see this ad.

bestofluck said:
Hey I decided on CCNY for the fall of this year. I gotta register in August. Anyone else going there? If you are, see you in the fall !
I am sorry, what school is CCNY?

Due to financial constraints I do believe I am in the same boat. I am considering Queens or Hunter (those are closest to me). Here is what I found out though when I talked to the advisor there:
1.be sure that the CUNY has the class that you need open
2.apply as a transfer for a 2nd degree (this is because if you apply as non-degree the cost is higher)
3.Speak to an advisor there to ensure that you are taking the correct courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
MIT2MD said:
Due to financial constraints I do believe I am in the same boat. I am considering Queens or Hunter (those are closest to me). Here is what I found out though when I talked to the advisor there:
1.be sure that the CUNY has the class that you need open
2.apply as a transfer for a 2nd degree (this is because if you apply as non-degree the cost is higher)
3.Speak to an advisor there to ensure that you are taking the correct courses.

MIT, I really would consider a 4 year institution, unless you have a 4.0 gpa and plan on getting amazing MCAT's. ADCOM's look down on CC. I hate to say this, but its true.

Reconsider this option. Look, I am 64,000 in debt already, from under and grad programs, but, its worth it. Invest in your future!

jules0328 said:
MIT, I really would consider a 4 year institution, unless you have a 4.0 gpa and plan on getting amazing MCAT's. ADCOM's look down on CC. I hate to say this, but its true.

Reconsider this option. Look, I am 64,000 in debt already, from under and grad programs, but, its worth it. Invest in your future!

The majority of CUNYs are not community colleges, but 4-year colleges.

CUNY: The City University of New York

learss79 said:
The majority of CUNYs are not community colleges, but 4-year colleges.

CUNY: The City University of New York

Right on learss79, most CUNY's are 4-year Colleges... Those community colleges would include Kingsboro, Queensboro Community, BMCC (borough of manhattan CC), bronx CC, and Laguardia CC.
Queens, Hunter, Baruch, John Jay, the graduate scool, city college, bklyn, CUNY Medical, Staten Island, and York are 4-year universities.

MIT2MD said:
Right on learss79, most CUNY's are 4-year Colleges... Those community colleges would include Kingsboro, Queensboro Community, BMCC (borough of manhattan CC), bronx CC, and Laguardia CC.
Queens, Hunter, Baruch, John Jay, the graduate scool, city college, bklyn, CUNY Medical, Staten Island, and York are 4-year universities.

Damn, alright guys, I didnt know that! People on this forum love to bite your head off when you make a mistake! Nevermind. :smuggrin:

jules0328 said:
Damn, alright guys, I didnt know that! People on this forum love to bite your head off when you make a mistake! Nevermind. :smuggrin:

No, No. We always support each other in the post-bac forum. Biting off people heads is not permitted in this forum. :D

jules0328 said:

Never! I find things to just be informative not negative. Do you know where you want to go yet?

I'm attending QC ( Queens College) registered bio I for fall 04. anyone else attending queens colleg?

I went to CCNY this spring and just finished up my summer session. I will be going to Queens in the fall. I took Inorganic (103 & 104). Great school for sciences, as far as I know, highly regarded. I'm leaving because Queens is simply closer and takes an hour or so off my commute. Not important though. Any questions about the Chem department, let me know. Good Luck.

jules0328 said:

What about if you take like half the prereqs at a CC and the upper level classes at a 4-year? If you do well at both won't ADCOMs see that as a good sign?

RNnowDoclater said:
What about if you take like half the prereqs at a CC and the upper level classes at a 4-year? If you do well at both won't ADCOMs see that as a good sign?

That is what I am doing. I just finished taking bio I, chem I and physics I at a CC and now plan on finishing the rest up at Hofstra's Post Bacc program. Honestly, the reason I did this was because I did not know that medical school was truly what I wanted to do, so, I wanted to make sure that I was going to succeed at the sciences first before embarking on the long journey. And then someone told me that adcom's looks down on CC.

Just do the best you can do, and while some people on this forum will tell you that is not good enough, that is all you can, do your best. Unfortunately, I cannot go back and will not retake these sciences again at Hofstra, I will most likely start with the rest of the sciences and then perhaps take genetics and anatomy to fill up my course work. Nothing more to say about that. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
bump..Anymore CCNY post baccers?

Me, I went to Hunter. :D

I recommend it because it is right in Manhattan and pretty central if you're also working or whatever. Also, Cornell and Rockefeller/MSKCC are right down the street.

I got into two medical schools with Hunter and I loved the Chemistry/Bio people !

I was desperately seeking the Hunter Program but I couldn't find it anywhere online. Do you have a link?? Maybe it's not too late.

nico05 said:
I went to CCNY this spring and just finished up my summer session. I will be going to Queens in the fall. I took Inorganic (103 & 104). Great school for sciences, as far as I know, highly regarded. I'm leaving because Queens is simply closer and takes an hour or so off my commute. Not important though. Any questions about the Chem department, let me know. Good Luck.

Hi! How difficult is it to get in the science classes at CUNY?? Do you have to register super duper far in advance? It sucks because the registration date sometimes is so close to the beginning of class and no seats are ever available! Thanks!

Paws said:
Me, I went to Hunter. :D

I recommend it because it is right in Manhattan and pretty central if you're also working or whatever. Also, Cornell and Rockefeller/MSKCC are right down the street.

I got into two medical schools with Hunter and I loved the Chemistry/Bio people !

Hi! Can you tell me the intensity of the science courses at Hunter? I have heard that they are extremely difficult there. Thanks!

JUELS1980 said:
Hi! How difficult is it to get in the science classes at CUNY?? Do you have to register super duper far in advance? It sucks because the registration date sometimes is so close to the beginning of class and no seats are ever available! Thanks!

well i go to queens (undergrad - 3rd year) and i'm taking the biology here - going to a post bacc after college and the classes aren't really that hard to get into (just register on time when you can) i know the bio class here is reaaaalllllyyyy hard and theres like hundreds in the class i don't know anything really about ccny, but im thinking it's pretty similar if you don't get in to any of the classes im sure you can go and talk with someone and they may be able to overtally u hope i helped a little bit if u need any info on the cuny system ask away :)

JUELS1980 said:
Hi! Can you tell me the intensity of the science courses at Hunter? I have heard that they are extremely difficult there. Thanks!

I took inorganic chem at Hunter. First semester wasn't very hard. Second semester was painful hard. But everything worked out ok, and the teachers were good. My labs sucked. But professors were decent.

Can anyone tell me if one CUNY is preferred over the others by adcoms?

I'd rather attend Queen's College since it's closer to me, but would not want to sacrifice quality and prestige because of it. I hear a lot of good things about the Hunter program.

Thanks in advance.

y0ter said:
Can anyone tell me if one CUNY is preferred over the others by adcoms?

I'd rather attend Queen's College since it's closer to me, but would not want to sacrifice quality and prestige because of it. I hear a lot of good things about the Hunter program.

Thanks in advance.

Well Hunter has a more formal program --- I definately know that Queens does not - you would have to just register for classes whenever your time is up. I mean if Queens is close to you, go to Queens, but Hunter isn't too far away also. I've had a good experience because of the people there because fellow classmates are really helpful and the lab teachers are also helpful. The bio class I took, I didn't really ask for help, but people have told me that the professors don't really help you, but it really depends on who you get. That's the same anyplace and I think both schools are a little similar.

I guess the only difference is that Queens doesn't have a formal program.

If you have anymore questions about Queens - ask away =)