Attending D-School where you want to practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jessUMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important do you think it is to attend dental school in a state (or general area) where you want to practice eventually? Do you all feel like you are making any important contacts while in school that might help you set up your own practice or work as an associate after graduation? I'm still a pre-dent, and wondering how much this factor should affect my decision where I want to attend school.
THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

hey i'm kinda in the same boat as you. i've been accepted at a few out of state schools and then an in-state private school. it'll cost me about the same price to go to either one, and wouldnt mind going out of state. but i was convinced by the dentist i was shadowing to go to the state where i want to practice. he said u'll establish contacts and they'll prepare you for ur state licensure exams. dunno, maybe somebody whos been there done it can elaborate on this

omar

how are you gonna establish contacts? the opportunity to network prior to graduating isn't that big a deal, since you'll probably end up leaving your first associateship after a few weeks anyways. you have plenty of time to network once you get out.

the only advantage i can think of us with regional licensing exams. it makes it quiet stressful to go to a school in one end of the country and take the licensing exam for a region at the other end of the country.

omaralt said:
hey i'm kinda in the same boat as you. i've been accepted at a few out of state schools and then an in-state private school. it'll cost me about the same price to go to either one, and wouldnt mind going out of state. but i was convinced by the dentist i was shadowing to go to the state where i want to practice. he said u'll establish contacts and they'll prepare you for ur state licensure exams. dunno, maybe somebody whos been there done it can elaborate on this

omar

Members don't see this ad :)
It's by no means manditory, but it can help. Just being familiar with the area helps. Professors at your school will know in general where the best places to work are, and it may be easier to job hunt on the weekends.

I think it helps.

1) You are able to establish contacts more easily
2) You are in the state which you will be taking the boards for no doubt.
3) You know the area (good/bad areas) and can use this info when looking for an associateship or where to start a practice.