Attending Medical school while raising a family.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fadelhanoun

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 28 years old and I will be applying for medical school in 2 years. I am dating a girl who is 19 and thinking about becoming a dentist. She has just started school but she is very committed. We talked about getting married in 2-3 years and are thinking about having children. Will we be able to manage our expenses and still have the time to raise a kid? Any advice will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure it's doable, but it may be difficult. Major considerations include what you guys are going to do if you don't get into schools near each other. You might get a better discussion going in the nontrad forum.

Yes, roll over to the non-trad forum and read through the stories there. Many more people in similar situations than you'll find here in pre-allo.

Members don't see this ad :)
Presumably if you both continue the paths you are currently in, you would be in residency while she was in dental school. It would be hard to raise kids while you are both in those roles without familial support but it would be possible.

yes and yes.

I've had single moms as students, so it's doable. If you have to wait for the right time to have kids, you'll be Professor Emeritus!

I am 28 years old and I will be applying for medical school in 2 years. I am dating a girl who is 19 and thinking about becoming a dentist. She has just started school but she is very committed. We talked about getting married in 2-3 years and are thinking about having children. Will we be able to manage our expenses and still have the time to raise a kid? Any advice will be appreciated.

Reactions: 1 user
It's doable. Medical students get tons of free time. More commonly people have kids during residency which is way more difficult to accomplish, especially in surgical specialties.

Definitely doable. I'm a single mother and first year medical student, and so far I haven't had any issues. You'll just have to make sure you carefully budget and set aside time for family bonding in the midst of a very busy schedule. In my opinion, it would probably be easiest in the first 2 years when you actually have control of your schedule, but harder during clinical years and residency. There are a ton of people who go through it all with multiple children though, so anything is possible.