Attending offering to write a letter...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chicagostudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I just came off of a rotation where an attending offered to write me a recommendation letter (something along the lines of: "if you ever need a recommendation letter for residency programs, I'd be happy to write you a very strong letter"). At the moment I was super excited and grateful and just said "thank you very much, that'd be really great". And the conversation got left off at that.

It's now early March, I imagine I don't really need letters for another few months, correct? And I am not even sure yet what field of medicine I want to pursue yet!! So how do I make sure that he doesn't forget me in the meantime? Am I supposed to email him now to let him know that yes, I definitely would like a letter (although I can't tell him yet what I'll be applying to)? Or is it fair to assume that he'll be able to write me a letter if I ask him in a few months??

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I just came off of a rotation where an attending offered to write me a recommendation letter (something along the lines of: "if you ever need a recommendation letter for residency programs, I'd be happy to write you a very strong letter"). At the moment I was super excited and grateful and just said "thank you very much, that'd be really great". And the conversation got left off at that.

It's now early March, I imagine I don't really need letters for another few months, correct? And I am not even sure yet what field of medicine I want to pursue yet!! So how do I make sure that he doesn't forget me in the meantime? Am I supposed to email him now to let him know that yes, I definitely would like a letter (although I can't tell him yet what I'll be applying to)? Or is it fair to assume that he'll be able to write me a letter if I ask him in a few months??

Thanks in advance for your advice!

If I offer to write a letter, I'll remember. I don't offer very much. I think it's fair to assume he'll remember.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on making a good impression! You really don't need to worry about actually getting letters yet. When you get your ERAS token from your school this summer, you'll be able to print out letter request forms. These will have unique codes to help ERAS and your dean's office process the letter and make sure it gets where you want it to go. So you can sit tight for now, but I would definitely start requesting letters asap after ERAS opens. Sometimes there's necessary lag as many people wait til their home sub-I to request letters, but if you already have one in the bag I would go ahead and get the ball rolling when things open. Ideally, you want to have everything squared away before apps can start being sent to programs (kinda like AMCAS and applying as early as possible - still holds true for ERAS).

I doubt this attending will forget you that fast. I still run in to my attendings from the beginning of last year and they remember me and what I'm doing and patients we took care of and other memorable moments from the rotation. You will probably see him around campus so just make sure you say 'hi' and touch base whenever your paths cross. You may also shoot a small update email in a few months if you decide to pursue his field; something along the lines of "hi, hope all is well. FYI I'm settled on XYZ field. I really appreciate all your time and efforts to teach etc on the rotation; I had such a great experience and can really picture myself making a career in this field. I will definitely take you up on that LOR offer -- I'll send a formal request once ERAS opens. hope all is well."

When you finally send the offer, include a copy of your CV and your personal statement (or at least the most current draft).

I recommend the opposite. If you have someone willing to write you a strong letter, ask them to write it whenever they get a chance (stressing that there is no rush to the letter). My school had a way of storing letters (without the applicant seeing them) prior to ERAS opening, which allowed the ERAS submission to be much easier for letter writers who had already written their letter. I'd ask your clinical education (or whoever handles LoRs duties) office about where someone can send a letter prior to ERAS opening.

I doubt that the attending will forget you, but having him/her write the letter immediately after working together will likely result in a stronger letter with more concrete examples.

The letter he/she submits isn't binding, and can be edited for ERAS submission letter (like when you run into or e-mail this attending and say 'I'm settled on XYZ field')

I'm not sure of the utility of sending your CV and personal statement to someone who offers to write you a letter (unless he/she asks for it) as whatever impression they have of you won't (or shouldn't be) influenced by either of those 2 documents.

Whether you use the letter or not is completely up to you at the beginning of 4th year, depending on what other letters you received.

I recommend the opposite. If you have someone willing to write you a strong letter, ask them to write it whenever they get a chance (stressing that there is no rush to the letter). My school had a way of storing letters (without the applicant seeing them) prior to ERAS opening, which allowed the ERAS submission to be much easier for letter writers who had already written their letter. I'd ask your clinical education (or whoever handles LoRs duties) office about where someone can send a letter prior to ERAS opening.

I doubt that the attending will forget you, but having him/her write the letter immediately after working together will likely result in a stronger letter with more concrete examples.

The letter he/she submits isn't binding, and can be edited for ERAS submission letter (like when you run into or e-mail this attending and say 'I'm settled on XYZ field')

I'm not sure of the utility of sending your CV and personal statement to someone who offers to write you a letter (unless he/she asks for it) as whatever impression they have of you won't (or shouldn't be) influenced by either of those 2 documents.

Whether you use the letter or not is completely up to you at the beginning of 4th year, depending on what other letters you received.

Good call.

OP- I don't think my school had the letter holding thing, but if yours does then that's a great way to do it.

CV and PS with letter requests is pretty standard, though at this point you could probably just send your CV. Some writers will comment on the high points in their letters (ie. "In addition to being one of the strongest students I've worked with clinically, he is also a productive researcher with multiple peer reviewed publications in his desired field......etc etc anecdote about leadership displayed on service, mentoring fellow students...he is also a proven leader in other capacities, serving as president of XYZ and was ultimately elected to a national position as representative of XYZ").

Others simply use it to gauge how strong a student you are overall.

OP- I don't think my school had the letter holding thing, but if yours does then that's a great way to do it.

If your school has no way of holding it, then ask the attending to write the letter and keep it on file so that he/she will quickly have it available after ERAS opens, so you can maintain the quality of the letter and leave it quickly editable for when ERAS opens.

CV and PS with letter requests is pretty standard, though at this point you could probably just send your CV. Some writers will comment on the high points in their letters (ie. "In addition to being one of the strongest students I've worked with clinically, he is also a productive researcher with multiple peer reviewed publications in his desired field......etc etc anecdote about leadership displayed on service, mentoring fellow students...he is also a proven leader in other capacities, serving as president of XYZ and was ultimately elected to a national position as representative of XYZ").

Others simply use it to gauge how strong a student you are overall.

Fair points. I sent my CV to all my LoR writers, and since I've never seen them I can't say whether my ECs were included in the LoR. What was discussed in interviews about my LoRs was never something from my CV, however, but rather specific comments about my performance on a rotation or a memorable case that the attending mentioned and which I discussed with the interviewer (only happened once or twice on the interview trail).

Wait... take your time? You realize that they need to have it finished within a reasonable time frame. I asked people in April and reminded them/asked them about the status every month. It's not insulting/bad, because they're busy and will often forget. Not because they don't care, but because of the mentioned. But saying "whenever they have a chance" is like... "Oh hey, it's October and no letter".

The attendings I wanted to write me letters were people I saw frequently/made a habit of at least trying to talk to them; ask them questions about the specialty/etc. I had my advisor, but all the people who wrote my letters were "advisors" one way or another.

Not sure I understand... you're saying you can read your letter/edit it yourself?

I sent 'em. Why wouldn't you? They want to know something about you or what you've accomplished. Plus; they tell you if it's a good CV/Personal Statement as opposed to you thinking it is.

Great point about asking your letter writers for thoughts on your PS and CV. I know that's getting outside the scope of this thread, but my writers were extremely helpful in helping me with my PS. There were things in there that were commented on frequently that wouldn't have been included had they not mentioned it. Just something for the OP to tuck away until later this year when he/she starts putting ERAS together.

Wait... take your time? You realize that they need to have it finished within a reasonable time frame. I asked people in April and reminded them/asked them about the status every month. It's not insulting/bad, because they're busy and will often forget. Not because they don't care, but because of the mentioned. But saying "whenever they have a chance" is like... "Oh hey, it's October and no letter".

I guess experiences differ. Max it took me to get a letter was 3 months. However, my n =1, so the idea of wanting the letter ASAP with reminders starting in like July or August is reasonable.

The attendings I wanted to write me letters were people I saw frequently/made a habit of at least trying to talk to them; ask them questions about the specialty/etc. I had my advisor, but all the people who wrote my letters were "advisors" one way or another.

One person who offered to write me a letter as a MS3 was a FM preceptor at a different hospital than the one I did the rest of my rotations at. I didn't take him up on it, but kind of wish I had for my medicine prelim applications. If I had I would've asked him to write it right then because I wouldn't see him around.

Not sure I understand... you're saying you can read your letter/edit it yourself?

Sorry, shortage of pronouns. I meant that if the attending saves it, he/she can edit it as necessary once your field choice is finalized for ERAS (not that you as an applicant can edit the letter)

I sent 'em. Why wouldn't you? They want to know something about you or what you've accomplished. Plus; they tell you if it's a good CV/Personal Statement as opposed to you thinking it is.

Because I would want a LoR to focus on things that are not in my CV, as in how knowledgable, personable, etc. I was on the rotation. However, I will concede that it likely doesn't hurt to send at least a CV. When I asked my letter writers for their LoRs, I didn't even have the beginning of my PS formulated yet. I did send all of my LoR writers my PS later for their input, but didn't think to compile it with my LoR request.

Thanks guys for your suggestions! I'll check if my school has a storage system of any kind... but also go ahead and get back in touch with this attending now. :) I just have to figure out how to phrase this!

Thanks guys for your suggestions! I'll check if my school has a storage system of any kind... but also go ahead and get back in touch with this attending now. :) I just have to figure out how to phrase this!
From what I understand, schools can no longer store letters. They have to be uploaded to ERAS directly from the writer (or whoever works with them that is computer literate enough to do it).

Reactions: 1 user
That is correct. It is seriously a hassle this year

My school notified us that starting this year, they would no longer be able to "store" letters, and they would have to be submitted directly to ERAS. Until this moment, I thought this was an institutional thing.

To the OP - I would definitely let the writer-letter know now that you would greatly appreciate a strong LOR from them, but let them know you're not sure how to proceed since you're not able to actually "accept" a letter until ERAS opens. Using this approach, I've had one attending say he'll write the letter now and keep it on file, and another who said to keep in touch and give them a month or so heads up before ERAS opens. Either way, I think you can't go wrong letting them know you'd love a letter, but are unsure of how to proceed with the timing of it.

Not going to take the time to read all the responses but I echo those that say: GET HIM TO WRITE IT NOW. It is best to have letter writers when you are freshest in your memories. He may not forget you but he has also experienced a number of other medical students with the passing time and his memory may be a bit fuzzy. If your school won't hold it (totally ridiculous btw), ask him to do it! Most, if not all attendings, I've dealt with have a special file for this option. They don't only write letters for medical students you know, residents and fellows and EVEN co-attendings need letters too. Do not wait, remind him again of your discussion and how much you enjoyed your time on the rotation with him and send him your CV when he asks. Expect them to take a month or so before the letter is even finished. Like someone else said, you do NOT have to use it and they will never know. You get to pick and choose which letters go to which residency in the application process.

Agreed, get your letter now. Worry about the logistics later. Most will give you a copy so you at least have it to send in at a later date.

Just ask the attending to write the letter now while your rotation is fresh. Have them save it on their computer in a couple places / give it to their secretary. Once you decide on a specialty, book a meeting with said attending, share your personal statement, catch up over the past year, and then ask them to update it for you.

This is the best way to get a letter in a non-awkward way and "save it" for when you need it.