Attending who can give the PD a nudge about my ERAS app...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thisisfakenohiding

Reaction score
Hi guys,

A good family friend is a sub-specialty attending at a program I'm looking at. He said he's willing to give a friend of the PD a nudge in terms of my application, when the time comes.

Just wondering the ethics of this, and how acceptable it appears to PDs and others involved in the residency admission process? I would say that his support of my application is not unwarranted, but not sure how important this in when he hasn't specifically seen my clinical abilities.

I, for one, do NOT plan to mention anywhere that I know somebody at the program ("Oh hey, you know Dr. ____? Yeah I know him! Did he mention me?")

Members don't see this ad.

IMO based on the relationship “family friend in a sub specialty can reach out to friend of the PD” it’s unlikely to help at all. Only way it would affect things is someone might think it’s weird.

Again that’s just my opinion, would be different if the dude was drinking buddies with the PD himself or something.

IMO based on the relationship “family friend in a sub specialty can reach out to friend of the PD” it’s unlikely to help at all. Only way it would affect things is someone might think it’s weird.

Again that’s just my opinion, would be different if the dude was drinking buddies with the PD himself or something.
Makes sense, I was thinking something similar. I'm certainly not banking on the connection, but every little bit helps..

W
It is not unethical. It may or may not help.
What if he can volunteer to interview me (per the program's policy). I don't expect him to give me 100% on whatever criteria the program uses, but wouldn't the fact that I know him outside of the hospital affect things? He may offer to interview me; I'm thinking to tell him I would rather him not. Plus, I'd like to have a chance to get to know and get to be known by other staff.

edit: thank you for the reply btw. Short and sweet.

W

What if he can volunteer to interview me (per the program's policy). I don't expect him to give me 100% on whatever criteria the program uses, but wouldn't the fact that I know him outside of the hospital affect things? He may offer to interview me; I'm thinking to tell him I would rather him not. Plus, I'd like to have a chance to get to know and get to be known by other staff.

THAT would be unethical, IMO, he should recuse himself from actually reviewing your app. But ultimately it's up to the program and their policy, it's not your responsibility to police their ethics. I might file that kind of behavior away when you think about the kind of program that you would like to attend, however.

Reactions: 1 user
W

lol that went really quickly from put in a good word (fine) to sham interview (not fine).

at best it will get you an interview if you were on the fence about getting it or not. it wont get into the program if you are grossly underqualified

Don't overthink this.

Have the family friend reach out and you can mention you know them if you like.

I interview applicants for residency and fellowship and other things relatively equal, I'd like to hear that someone is a good person to work with. If that is verified by someone in the organization who knows an application personally and can attest that they are a good person and should be a good person to work with, then great...that's useful information.

I've merged multiple threads on this topic. Please don't post the same question in multiple places.
C'mon, you know that posting the same q in multiple places is the way to do it! It's like when someone doesn't speak your language, so, you speak louder to them. That's the way to get them to understand!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
THAT would be unethical, IMO, he should recuse himself from actually reviewing your app. But ultimately it's up to the program and their policy, it's not your responsibility to police their ethics. I might file that kind of behavior away when you think about the kind of program that you would like to attend, however.
Very true. I really appreciate the insight