Attention New York students: biochemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tooth knockn

Treat others how you want to be treated
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which school did you go to for the Biochemistry course with lab?

Do you recommend it? And why or why not?

Om

Members don't see this ad.

Dudeeee. Biochem is going to be fairly difficult wherever you take it. This is like your third post! Register for the class and study hard!

Dudeeee. Biochem is going to be fairly difficult wherever you take it. This is like your third post! Register for the class and study hard!

Geez

You again, ugh!

I know I know.... I already registered.....

Geez what are you my internet parent,..

I'm just trying to gather some of that Biochem 411 around the 718, 516, 212, or 631

Yah know what I mean pops

I like practicing my gangster here online

I love me

But please help!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Who takes biochem with lab?

I was looking at City College a while back (I was interested in Stony Brook). One of their Biochemistry teachers got really good reviews. Fair and passionate guy.

That was about a year ago. Hopefully he's still there! Good luck

P.S: You could also take biochemistry in the Spring. That way you see what acceptances you have and if you want to attend a school that has it. I did that with Calculus and thankfully I didn't need it.

Geez

You again, ugh!

I know I know.... I already registered.....

Geez what are you my internet parent,..

I'm just trying to gather some of that Biochem 411 around the 718, 516, 212, or 631

Yah know what I mean pops

I like practicing my gangster here online

I love me

But please help!!
I get what you're saying. But biochem is biochem. It's not going to be easy, and if you are that concerned with getting an A in one class.... Dental school is going to be hard. Haha

I get what you're saying. But biochem is biochem. It's not going to be easy, and if you are that concerned with getting an A in one class.... Dental school is going to be hard. Haha

That is true. I am trying to get an A.

:)

Tooth knockn is always looking for an easy way out.

Tooth knockn is always looking for an easy way out.

Omg

That is not true....

I took 14 credits this semester, plus 10 hours a week for volunteering, plus I work 30hours a week....

There is no easy way out.

I took Biochem and dropped it at NYCCT. The professor there was teaching it on a level where I felt like as he were teaching it as if it was the only class I was taking!!

It was really bad it started with 22 students, and last I heard, only 4-6 students remained, and those students are the ones who were only taking that course...

I recommend to all readers of this post to not take it at New York City college of technology in Brooklyn New York

Omg

That is not true....

I took 14 credits this semester, plus 10 hours a week for volunteering, plus I work 30hours a week....

I took Biochem and dropped it at NYCCT. The professor there was teaching it on a level where I felt like as he were teaching it as if it was the only class I was taking!!

It was really bad it started with 22 students, and last I heard, only 4-6 students remained, and those students are the ones who were only taking that course...

I recommend to all readers of this post to not take it at New York City college of technology in Brooklyn New York
Hey gimme a hug :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an Undergrad TA for biochemistry for the last 3 semesters, I can tell you all 3 different professors I worked with have completely different approaches on how and what is included in the course.

Professor A: teach the board spectrum of the topics, hit 80% of the contents in the textbook, student got to the surface of each subject but have a wide range of knowledge.

Professor B: focus on the mechanism of the reactions, often require student to come up with the reaction mechanism, it is like an extension on Ochem. Student learns a lot on the reaction rate and lay a good foundation on Biochem.

professor C: focus on the calculation and the application of the Biochem, making it a bit more like the biochemical method class. Student become very good at reaction rate and calculation.

My point is, you really don't know what u have until half way through the semester, do your best and good luck.

My undergrad degree is in Bio chem,

It's a BA Chemistry Biochemistry

The other options at my school was a BS BIOLOGY Biochem

But, both are chem or biology degrees with 100hous or so of specialized courses

So just make sure you want to do that,
Bc you can still get into med school without having a degree in biochemistry

Biochem at Stony Brook?

22362023.jpg

Protip: Learn to deal with it
Omg

That is not true....

Protip: In dental school, you are taking at least 5 classes at a time that are on that level of difficulty, where the professor teaches it as if its the only class you're taking. Not to mention the other classes you're taking at the same time which are somewhat less demanding. Not to mention all the time you get to spend in the lab making sure your handskills are up to par. If you can't handle one tough biochem class in college, you're in for a hell of a shock when you get to dental school.

Reactions: 1 users
Protip: Learn to deal with it

Protip: In dental school, you are taking at least 5 classes at a time that are on that level of difficulty, where the professor teaches it as if its the only class you're taking. Not to mention the other classes you're taking at the same time which are somewhat less demanding. Not to mention all the time you get to spend in the lab making sure your handskills are up to par. If you can't handle one tough biochem class in college, you're in for a hell of a shock when you get to dental school.

Oh ooo....

Wow, that was blunt.....

Ummmn....

Biochem has so many calculations, and reactions and other chem stuff that it is like a. Monster (based on Biochem at NYCCT)

But question, does the Biochem in dental school have all those calculations ?

And those 5 classes you speak pertain to dentistry which is more enticing to learn....

Unlike this Biochem in undergrad, where I have to learn all these calculations as if I'm trying to make some life saving drug, or something....

You are asking way too many questions about biochem hahah

Reactions: 2 users
You are asking way too many questions about biochem hahah

True.

Only to provide useful information for those searching for Biochemistry information around New York.

There are almost 4-5 public schools in each borough.... And to choose a science course where the professor does not care if the initial class was 20 students and finished with 5 students and only 1 getting an A.... Is not fair nor justified in any way, unless biochemistry is your thing.....

Well most people will take it normally at their university ... And not worry about where they have to go to get an A. Just sayin'.

Well most people will take it normally at their university ... And not worry about where they have to go to get an A. Just sayin'.

It is not about an "A"

If it were, I would use rate my professor and go to medgar Evers college....

I want to stay away from Brooklyn. I'm left with long island queens and nyc

Oh ooo....

Wow, that was blunt.....

Ummmn....

Biochem has so many calculations, and reactions and other chem stuff that it is like a. Monster (based on Biochem at NYCCT)

But question, does the Biochem in dental school have all those calculations ?

And those 5 classes you speak pertain to dentistry which is more enticing to learn....

Unlike this Biochem in undergrad, where I have to learn all these calculations as if I'm trying to make some life saving drug, or something....

Lol. First semester of dental school at NYU:
1. Anatomy with lab.
2. Biochemistry.
3. Cell biology.
4. Dental anatomy.
5. Operative dentistry lab.

Plus BS classes like epidemiology, health promotion, ethics, etc.

Second semester of D1:
1. Histology
2. Neuroscience
3. Physiology
4. Craniofacial Biology
5. Operative dentistry lecture
6. Operative dentistry lab with practicals every two weeks

Plus BS classes like professional literature and pediatrics and etc.

All these courses are taught like they are the only one that matters. And your exams for them will be on the same day.

So again I say to you; if you can't handle one measly biochem class in undergrad, you're in for a hell of a shock.

Moofuniversity.com

So far it is a pretty good resource...Moofuniversity.com

UPDATE:

Do not take biochemistry at NYCCT.

Farmingdale state college is better.....

The school environment is also more relaxed and there is valuable research opportunity available..... On cancer stuff.....

I got an A

Biochem is awesome! It's really not as bad as people make it seem (especially if you like the course). If you like orgo and memorizing you will be fine. I wish the lab was included when I took it. I'll probably take it my last semester

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk