attributable risk

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cage92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
what is the attributable risk
notice that definition is different between brs and high yield
att risk in brs: is what would happen in a population if the risk is removed
while in high yield: risk of an outcome attributable to a given exposure.
i am confused:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Members don't see this ad.

They aren't different, they're just different phrases for the same concept. Let's say that without anyone in the world smoking, 1% of the people in the world would get lung cancer. Additionally, if you forced everyone to smoke, now 11% of the world would get lung cancer. In the absence of that risk factor, only 1% would get lung cancer, therefore 10% of that risk can be attributed to (blamed on) on smoking.

The way you've quoted BRS above should be changed slightly to the amount difference that would be seen in the absence of the risk factor, not what the new risk would be if that factor was taken away. I don't have BRS, so I'm not sure what the book says exactly, but what you've written above is slightly incorrect. Could you quote directly what BRS says about attributable risk?

They aren't different, they're just different phrases for the same concept. Let's say that without anyone in the world smoking, 1% of the people in the world would get lung cancer. Additionally, if you forced everyone to smoke, now 11% of the world would get lung cancer. In the absence of that risk factor, only 1% would get lung cancer, therefore 10% of that risk can be attributed to (blamed on) on smoking.

The way you've quoted BRS above should be changed slightly to the amount difference that would be seen in the absence of the risk factor, not what the new risk would be if that factor was taken away. I don't have BRS, so I'm not sure what the book says exactly, but what you've written above is slightly incorrect. Could you quote directly what BRS says about attributable risk?
really thanks but this is what brs says its confusing i think i should search for brs error list:):)