Au.D. + MBA/MHA/MPH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CBA300

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on supplementing an Au.D. with an MBA/MHA or an MPH? I'm not sure if clinical practice in audiology is for me and am strongly interested in relating my experience in audiology to health care management or public health. Does anyone think this would be a worthwhile pursuit?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in too much debt to even think about more education after the next 4 years

I suppose the MBA may be helpful if u want to start your own private practice

Members don't see this ad :)
Any thoughts on supplementing an Au.D. with an MBA/MHA or an MPH? I'm not sure if clinical practice in audiology is for me and am strongly interested in relating my experience in audiology to health care management or public health. Does anyone think this would be a worthwhile pursuit?
I talked to the coordinator at Buffalo University who runs the AuD/MBA program; and she said it was also good for Industry as well as Manufacturing Audiology. Working as CEO of hearing aid company or working as a hearing consultant for firms. It is also good for private practice, however i don't think an MBA is needed to start a private practice. I think minoring in entrepreneurship in your undergraduate studies or taking small business classes at your local community college would work just as well as a MBA. That being said i think AuD/MBA is interesting for the facts i mentioned above, i dont know of any schools that offer AuD/MHA/MPH though.

How much debt are you talking 6 figure debt? I ask cause I'm interested to see the type of debt audiology students are accumulating

Interesting note: I've seen some manufacturing Audiology jobs were audiologist make between $50.00-$75.00hr

Good news for all Audiologist

Audiologists Eligible for Student Loan Forgiveness Program

February 14, 2008

RESTON, Va — The House has passed the College Opportunity and Affordability Act of 2007, HR 4137 (reauthorizing the Higher Education Act) that included a provision authorizing the Secretary of Education to forgive a portion of student loan obligation for audiologists. Specifically, the provision adds audiologists to a program that establishes loan forgiveness for service in areas of national need, and authorizes the Secretary to forgive up to $2,000 in Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) and William D. Ford Direct Loan (DL) student loan debt (other than PLUS Loans borrowed on behalf of a dependent student), per year of full-time employment, with a maximum of $10,000 over 5 years of service.
The bill had already included loan forgiveness provisions for speech language pathologists, among other professions, but failed to recognize audiologists. The American Academy of Audiology (AAA) was successful in working with congressional leadership to include audiologists among the list of providers that would be allowed forgiveness for student loan repayment as outlined in the bill. The Academy is hopeful that this provision will help to alleviate the burdensome student loan debts incurred by audiologists and provide a further incentive for individuals to enter into the field of audiology.
As the Senate has already passed its version of the Higher Education Reauthorization bill, the Academy will now work toward ensuring that this language is included in the final conference bill that is sent to the President for his signature, according to the organization.

sweet! i plan to take advantage of every loan forgiveness program i can find!

This is exciting news! I wonder how to go about it...