Au.D. Student Life Hacks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dustbug10

Year IV
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading through life hacks for productivity on 4chan and decided that it could be a useful thread here. In a nutshell, life hacks are tricks or advice that provide solutions to every day tasks, problems, frustrations, etc. or life in general. Many of the 'hacks' out there are quite simple to incorporate and make life that much easier. How about a comprehensive list for Au.D. students?

1. Start your capstone research as early as possible. I cannot state this enough. Your last academic semester is busy enough. Not having my project done made it a nightmare at times.

2. Citeulike.org -- Manage, store, auto-cite references, search articles, automated related article recommendations. There are other tools out there I'm sure, but this one has been a blessing for me.

3. Use add-ons for your web browser to help you prevent wasting time. You can block time wasting websites at specific time blocks during the day.
-LeechBlock for Mozilla, StayFocused for Chrome, Safari? IE?

4. Did I mention start your research early?

5. Download Speech Masking App. Useful for clinic and some assignments in your first year. Calculates effective masking level for you.

Add more as you see fit.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do your reports same-day, if possible. It'll take you less time because the information will be fresh in your mind.

I'll get more as I think of them.

Sent from my DROIDX using SDN Mobile

Read Moonwalking with Einstein by Joshua Foer early in your graduate career to learn about memory tricks to help you remember for tests.

Pay attention to audiograms of interesting cases when you see the patients with certain pathologies so you don't have to worry about memorizing them. You will just know them.

Members don't see this ad :)
5. Download Speech Masking App. Useful for clinic and some assignments in your first year. Calculates effective masking level for you.

I have to disagree with this one. Learn how to mask on your own. Otherwise, good tips!

Be friends with your classmates. You'll be spending the majority of the next 3-4 years with these people. No you don't have to BFFs and hang out all the time, but at least tolerate each other and try to work together well.

Be friends with your classmates. You'll be spending the majority of the next 3-4 years with these people. No you don't have to BFFs and hang out all the time, but at least tolerate each other and try to work together well.

I agree with this one. I would also add to take every opportunity you can to network with others in the profession. It will help you find jobs!