Audiology Prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspiringAuD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my freshman year of university and took the following science courses:

- Biological Sciences I
- Biological Sciences II
- General Chemistry I
- General Chemistry II
- Waves & Mechanics
- Intro to Psychology I
- Intro to Psychology II

I'm planning to take more biology and psychology courses in the next 3 years. Do I need to take more chemistry and physics? Will I need organic chemistry and advanced physics?

These are a few of the courses I plan to take:

- Cell Biology
- Animal Physiology
- Sensory Processes
- Audition
- Developmental Psychology
- Child Language Acquisition
- Psycholinguistics

Am I on the right track? Any help is much appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, well my game plan that got me 100% acceptance in Aud programs.

I majored in Speech pathology & audiology (w/ concentration in Audiology) for undergrad.

Classes: Phonetics, lang dev, Anatomy/Physio, intro audiology, audiometric testing & hearing conservation, phonology, auditory processing disorders, aural rehab, lang disorders, clinical observations, american sign lang I&II, research methods in audiology, and speech & hearing sciences w/ lab.

I then minored in biological sciences (which you should do, figuring your gonna be taking more bio classes)

Classes: Basic biology/lab, human biology, anatomy, neuroanatomy/lab, neurophysiology, genetics, biology of aging, botany, evolution, ecology, i cant remember if there was anymore. ;)

Then among other classes in no particular field, and some volunteer work.

The one thing to keep in mind is realize its not about how many classes you have takin but how well you did in the ones you took, GPA is extremely important, along with GRE scores, & letters of rec (from a PhD is ranked the highest).

good luck

I am getting my AuD through University of South Dakota. If a student has an undergrad degree in something other than Communication Disorders, then they need certain pre-reqs before being considered for admissions...these classes at our school are...

1 Biological Science
1 Physical Science

Intro to Communication Disorders
Phonetics
Language Development
Intro to Audiology
Hearing Science
Speech Science

I was able to complete all of the DCOM prereqs in one year since I had a different degree. I think many universities post exactly what is needed to get in...of course there is still the GRE, GPA, letters of rec, statement of purpose, etc.

I would look at a few different schools and check what their requirements are.

Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Thank you both for your help! I really appreciate it.

Hi! I am pre-audiology student, as well and I was told from SLP and Audiology advisers from UC San Diego and San Diego State that they advise students to take the following:

Intro to Psych I
Intro to Psych II
Statistics I
Statistics II
General Biology
General Chemistry I
ASL I, II, III
Intro to Anatomy

However, since the graduate program is competitive, take more chemistry and anatomy courses as you can.

I am currently almost done with the list given above and I plan on taking advanced Chemistry courses, as well as physiology, physics, and psych before I become a junior. From that point on, I'll take the core courses which are the ones that BabyBleusMommy told you.

Remember, audiology schools do a lot of things to weed out pre - auds that are not qualified, not passionate enough, and such. So they created a system that only pre-auds that are passionate enough, intelligent enough, persistent enough, dedicated enough can get into these schools. They accept students by their GPA, GRE score, volunteer activities, leadership, clinical exposure, and so forth.

So get yourself out there and show them you're passionate about this!

Go knock 'em dead!

Hi,
I am undergrad student at University of Nebraska at Omaha,
and I am majoring in Speech Language Pathology.
I will graduate from school in spring 2010, and I am looking to apply for AuD for fall 2010.
Here is the list of the sciences courses I have taken already,
Bio 1
general chem 1 with honors
general chem 1 lab
general chem 2 with honors
general chem 2 lab

SLP core courses-
intro to comm dis with honors
early lang development with honors
hearing sciences
basic audiology
anat and physio
phonetics
ASL 1 with honors

Education course: (my dept is part of coll of education and they make us take these courses)
human relations with honors
ed foundations with honors
human growth and learning with honors

other courses-
psyc 1
psyc 2
psyc rat lab
stats
engl comp 1
enlg comp 2

volunteering and campus involvement:
senator, student government,
volunteering at Nebraska med center emergency room
active member of 3 honor groups

research experience:
1 semester in comm dis lab
1 semester in genetics lab
2 semesters in physical chem lab

GPA: 3.8 < x < 3.9

Well the schools I am loooking to get into are
Vanderbilt
UWashington Seattle
UWash st louis
UT Dallas
San Fransisco state

What improvements will make me a better candidate for the AuD program in the above mentioned school? Also I am willing to go for AuD./PhD path together.

What are my chances right now to get into these schools?

What GRE scores are considered good for these schools.

HELP!!!
and thanks in advance fellas!

Hi,
I am undergrad student at University of Nebraska at Omaha,
and I am majoring in Speech Language Pathology.
I will graduate from school in spring 2010, and I am looking to apply for AuD for fall 2010.
Here is the list of the sciences courses I have taken already,
Bio 1
general chem 1 with honors
general chem 1 lab
general chem 2 with honors
general chem 2 lab

SLP core courses-
intro to comm dis with honors
early lang development with honors
hearing sciences
basic audiology
anat and physio
phonetics
ASL 1 with honors

Education course: (my dept is part of coll of education and they make us take these courses)
human relations with honors
ed foundations with honors
human growth and learning with honors

other courses-
psyc 1
psyc 2
psyc rat lab
stats
engl comp 1
enlg comp 2

volunteering and campus involvement:
senator, student government,
volunteering at Nebraska med center emergency room
active member of 3 honor groups

research experience:
1 semester in comm dis lab
1 semester in genetics lab
2 semesters in physical chem lab

GPA: 3.8 < x < 3.9

Well the schools I am loooking to get into are
Vanderbilt
UWashington Seattle
UWash st louis
UT Dallas
San Fransisco state

What improvements will make me a better candidate for the AuD program in the above mentioned school? Also I am willing to go for AuD./PhD path together.

What are my chances right now to get into these schools?

What GRE scores are considered good for these schools.

HELP!!!
and thanks in advance fellas!

Looks great! You didn't mention any clinic/volunteering/personal experience that you've had with people with hearing impairments specifically, so be sure to include it in your personal statement if you've had it.

Do you know how I can get tutoring for Hearing Science ?

My god...how long did it take you to post all that academic information up? Anyway, noone here can tell you what your chances of getting in any school is. Of course, the closer you are to where each individual wants you to be (at least academically) the closer you will be to being a "foot in". However, just as a 4.0 GPA student doesn't always get in to Harvard undergrad, those with superior qualifications don't always get what they want either.

I have a non-audiology/SLP oriented undergraduate degree with a 2.75 GPA and I am applying to Au.D. programs; I'm not applying with a worrysome "will I get in" / "what are my chances" attitude, but rather a "hey, it could happen" attitude. My life doesn't depend on getting into any particular program; I have a good career as it is anyway. Don't worry about getting into the program of your choice; in the end, "it isn't worth a continental".

Ask yourself: "If I can't get into the program of my choosing, what else will I do?" If you don't have an answer for that question, you've pigeon-holed yourself....no amount of GPA will fix it, either. As long as you aren't pigeon-holed you'll be alright.

hey teucer,

thanks for your message. we are somewhat in the same boat and lately ive reconsidered applying because my gpa isn't high enough, no epxerience, and etc... Please let me know where you got accpeted and what I should do now to get my foot int he door.

thanks

Deleted.

Last edited:
My undergrad degree is in an unrelated field. Once I decided to pursue audiology, I simply went online, found a variety of accredited programs (based primarily on geographic region), and then went through each of the programs to figure out what prerequisite courses they required.

Besides prereqs, as others have stated, the best thing you can do is make sure to have a good GPA, and GRE scores... as well as strong letters of recommendation.

If you have the prerequisites, good grades & GRE score and strong letters, you have a strong shot at being accepted to most programs. At least, that's what worked for me! Hope that helps.