audition rotations at same institution in 2 different fields???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aliDO

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How will this look? I haven't decided which field I want to do (between 2) and want to set up audition rotations at a certain hospital in both. How will that be perceived? Also, while one is an osteopathic residency and one is an allopathic residency. This institution is my top choice, just not sure which field.

Members don't see this ad.

Terrible idea.

why? because you don't seem dedicated to one field? One is at the end of third year and the other at the beginning of forth year. Does everybody know what they want to do at that time?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it matters. I don't see any reason why it would be a bad idea

I don't think it matters. I don't see any reason why it would be a bad idea

Bc both rotations would be on your transcript and you'd have to explain wtf you were doing?

Bc both rotations would be on your transcript and you'd have to explain wtf you were doing?

It seems like it would be easily explained as him doing electives to determine his field of choice. How would the same location be a negative? I'm just curious

An away rotation is viewed as your sign of commitment to a given field. Doing two away rotations in two different fields makes it obvious that you're not committed to either field yet. While this is the reality for many students and a reasonable situation to be in, it's a terrible idea to broadcast your last-minute uncertainty. There is a real and needless risk that it will be taken poorly and put you bellow similar applicants who don't broadcast doubt. Do the rotations at your home institute and then do the away in the field you ultimately choose.

You don't show up at a job interview before you put your pants on at home...

Edit: You're one of dozens of relatively homogeneous applicants to any given program. Nittpicky bulls--t and random whims are going to count because that's all there really is.

An away rotation is viewed as your sign of commitment to a given field. Doing two away rotations in two different fields makes it obvious that you're not committed to either field yet. While this is the reality for many students and a reasonable situation to be in, it's a terrible idea to broadcast your last-minute uncertainty. There is a real and needless risk that it will be taken poorly and put you bellow similar applicants who don't broadcast doubt. Do the rotations at your home institute and then do the away in the field you ultimately choose.

You don't show up at a job interview before you put your pants on at home...

Edit: You're one of dozens of relatively homogeneous applicants to any given program. Nittpicky bulls--t and random whims are going to count because that's all there really is.

The problem is if you don't set up auditions now then they are full. So it leaves me in a tight spot.

Plus I go to an osteopathic school to technically all of our rotations are "away" rotations. I have a house where this place is and it's on the beach so what's wrong with wanting to spend two months there? Most people in my class do away rotations at places they just want to visit for the experience, not really the specialty or that they are interested in the program. I am interested in both residencies though (as of now since I haven't decided). I don't really see how I can decide unless I do this. I've already completed core with both specialties included. I'm not going to get more experience in them except at away rotations.