Auditory Verbal Therapy and Audiologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skypt123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've mentioned on a previous thread before that I am a 4th year Au.D student currently doing my externship, but for 5 years before that, I was speech therapist. At one time I was investigating possibly becoming dual certified, but thanks to this site, I was able to figure out that was not the best route for me. A new concept was introduced to me, and that is Auditory/Verbal therapy. The more information I found on it, the more it sounds similar to what I'm looking for. I will be able to use my love of audiology and work with cochlear implant paitents (programming, IOM, adjusting etc.), but also use my love of therapy, and building relationships with the kiddos! Are there currently any Au.Ds that do this? What is involved? Fill me in!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I am looking into Auditory Verbal Therapy, as well. As an undergraduate 4th year student, I'm working with a 2 and 1/2 year little girl with hearing aids. I'm a part-time preschool teacher working mostly with preschoolers with no hearing loss, but she's my only student with a threshold in her left ear around 60 dB, right about the level of the human voice in normal conversation. I will only be working with her until the end of the Spring semester. She will be transferred out (parent is graduating with MS) to a school for the hard of hearing in Los Angeles. Anyways, she's been wearing BTE aids for a couple months and started out speaking very little and used English-form sign language to communicate. When I first met her, she didn't always wear her hearing aids, but she finally realized how much she can hear with those hearing aids and ever since then, she hasn't taken them off. She's such a trooper! She speaks more words than she did before because she participates in one on one activities with me and another teacher.