August MCAT to Late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mdcsmitty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys been a while since Ive been on here. Ive made post before but am finally in the position to sincerely think about applying. I have finished all of my pre reqs. And am scheduled to take the mcat on July 19th but I am definitely not ready. Got a 492 on my first AAMC Full Length. I know that taking it as planned on the 19th would be a big gamble and I probably wouldn't improve much if it all so I am thinking about doing it mid August to give me a extra month of prep. When looking at some of the breakdowns I hover around 50% right in everything which I assume means I need to review content again to brush up on the things that I am missing. I say this because most of the questions that I get wrong I know that I am going to get wrong because of a concept I am hazy on. I plan on applying to mostly D.O and I have heard that the cycle for that runs longer but assuming I test in august do well and get the scores back mid September do you guys think that is to late to start submitting to schools and I should just wait until next year or is September still a decent time for D.O applications. Im currently 30 yom, previous paramedic/ paramedic instructor, current Peds ICU nurse. Upward trend in grades from courses that were 10 years ago at this point, Valedictorian in paramedic class, and honor student graduated with honors in my Bac Degree in Nursing.

Members don't see this ad.

Submitting in September is not too late.

Submitting with <500 mcat is pretty deadly.

Submit when you are ready, be it this year or next or even farther down the line.

There has been MANY similar threads like this in the forum.

September or October is not too late. November? Maybe because once you start getting close to Thanksgiving, it's too late for DO schools. With that said, if your MCAT is low, meaning around ~500, you might wanna submit before October.