Australia Dentistry Feb 2016 International Application Oztrekk

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wyatt318

Dental Class 2019
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else out there been offered a first round Interview for Sydney's Graduate DMD program? Anyone applied and waiting on an Interview offer?

Wouldn't mind some collaborative discussion about the application process and celebrate success stories on August 12 (first round offers)! :)

Of course, soon after there will be JCU, Melbourne, among other schools that you can apply through via Oztrekk... Anyone applying to those schools as well?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a Usyd interview coming up Wednesday! The nervousness is starting to set in nicely lol

Nice! Good Luck on your Interview.

Where are you form Pspanks? What are your Stats if you don't mind me asking?

I can't believe we could know as early as August 12.... Eeeeeee

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from the states - Mississippi, to be exact - but I've spent the past 2 years over in Sydney.

As far as stats go, I graduated from my undergrad with a 3.61 in Bio. Took the U.S. DAT and fared pretty well in a few of the sections:

PA 22
QR 18
RC 21
BIO 23
GC 25
OC 25
TC 24
AA 22

But I'm not so worried about the academic portion of the application process anymore...I think all the weight now lies in the interview...I just don't know what to expect and the pressure is building haha.

What about you? When's your interview? How are your stats? Where are you from? How are you coping with the nervousness? Best of luck to you as well! Would be awesome to wind up in a class together in February eh!

Last edited:
I applied to JCU, CSU, and Griffith as well

Reactions: 1 user
I'm from the states - Mississippi, to be exact - but I've spent the past 2 years over in Sydney..and I'm dying to get back!

As far as stats go, I graduated from my undergrad with a 3.61 in Bio. Took the U.S. DAT and fared pretty well in a few of the sections:

PA 22
QR 18
RC 21
BIO 23
GC 25
OC 25
TC 24
AA 22

But I'm not so worried about the academic portion of the application process anymore...I think all the weight now lies in the interview...I just don't know what to expect and the pressure is building haha.

What about you? When's your interview? How are your stats? Where are you from? How are you coping with the nervousness? Best of luck to you as well! Would be awesome to wind up in a class together in February eh!

That's awesome! Were you in Sydney for school too? Those are fantastic scores. From the research that I've done, it's implied that they still consider your application as a whole (include the interview and grades) in the ranking of their applicants, but it does sound to me that the interview can either make or break an application. There will be those who do exceptional in the interview who will not necessarily have the best grades but be offered admission and those who will have superior academic standing but will disqualify themselves as a result of their interview. I think the vagueness in their candidate selection reserves their right to holistically evaluate the candidates from every angle in the extremely unlikely event that all their interviewees perform to the same level in the interview.. At that point then their academic performance may help differentiate.

Either way, the interview is important!

Actually I just had my interview yesterday, and believe me I was very nervous for the week before hand too. Obviously the confidentiality agreement prevents me from the release of any details, but I can tell you to just be yourself and try not to overthink it as authenticity of your responses is important. Nerves happen to everyone! If you weren't nervous about the interview I would think that the opportunity didn't mean all that much to you. I manage my nerves by remembering that the reason I'm nervous is because of how much the interview opportunity means to me, and that it is a direct result of how excited I am about the prospect of getting into Dentistry. I find that if I convince myself that the nervousness is a good thing, albeit uncomfortable, it is more easily utilized as a tool of enthusiasm. I guess staying excited about the opportunity and focusing on that sensation instead of nervousness is what makes it easier for me.

I'm from Inuvik, Northwest Territories in Canada. As far as my Academic Record goes, I took the CDAT and got:
PA 22
RC 23
MD 21
Bio 20
Chem 21

My overall GPA for my undergraduate BSc. Pharm was a 3.2. Not the greatest, but we were curved against each other in an already competitive program which made it difficult. My plan for August is to take another year of Science in university (I only had 1 year of Science as prerequisite to Pharmacy) to make my application more competitive for subsequent Dental applications and to qualify for some of those for which I'm missing courses.

I'm excited for you for your interview! I hope it goes really well. It would be an honour to have you as a colleague in the Sydney Dentistry Class commencing in 2016!

You know what's worse than the interview apprehension? After your interview while you're waiting in cautious excitement until the first offers are released on August 12... It's such a roller coaster of emotions isn't it??

I applied to JCU, CSU, and Griffith as well
Ashyyyjayyy! Hey there! IT's been a while since I've seen your posts :), nice to see them again.
Same here, I still have to finish my applications for those schools, but right now I am planning on continuing with my applications there

Just looking for an update with you guys... Acceptances? Message me about the FB group!

XZero! I've been accepted. Recieved notice on the 19th and expect an official offer this week sometime.

I'll message you about a FB group!

what kind of research and shadowing experience is required to be competitive for U of Sydney dentistry? Are these topics likely to come up during the interview?

Hones
what kind of research and shadowing experience is required to be competitive for U of Sydney dentistry? Are these topics likely to come up during the interview?
honestly ruby0wl, any personal experience that you can bring to the table in the interview is helpful, however, my understanding is that it is not necessary for the interview or your application. There's a minimum cut-off for GPA and DAT scores, after that those applicants are offered interviews. According to a recent email I received from an admissions officer, they referenced that in previous applications successful applicants to Sydney were anywhere from the lowest GPA/DAT score to the highest depending on their interview performance. In some cases those with flawless grades were not offered admission as a result of poor interview performance...

There's a confidentiality clause that you agree to when you take part in the interview so I cannot comment on possible topics-- however, as I alluded to above, experience is not necessary but if you have experience that is applicable to the topic you are discussing with your interviewer- using your own experiences in order to assist in drawing conclusions and demonstrating your own individual approach to problem solving is helpful. I found it helpful to use as much personal experience as possible. That way your answers are genuinely sincere and help the interviewer get to know you a little bit more.

This is an excellent video that may help guide your preparation

If you have trouble opening the link, it is a YouTube video by Dr. Stewart Dunn at the University of Sydney-- search for it on youtube if you have trouble. He describes the qualities that they are looking for in the MMI's. I found it helpful as a guide.

XZero! I've been accepted. Recieved notice on the 19th and expect an official offer this week sometime.

I'll message you about a FB group!

Hey congrats on your acceptance, I just received an invitation for the interview. I was wondering if you could please message me about the FB group as well. Also, were there any specific sites which you used to practice for the MMI style questions? Thanks :)

That's awesome! Were you in Sydney for school too? Those are fantastic scores. From the research that I've done, it's implied that they still consider your application as a whole (include the interview and grades) in the ranking of their applicants, but it does sound to me that the interview can either make or break an application. There will be those who do exceptional in the interview who will not necessarily have the best grades but be offered admission and those who will have superior academic standing but will disqualify themselves as a result of their interview. I think the vagueness in their candidate selection reserves their right to holistically evaluate the candidates from every angle in the extremely unlikely event that all their interviewees perform to the same level in the interview.. At that point then their academic performance may help differentiate.

Either way, the interview is important!

Actually I just had my interview yesterday, and believe me I was very nervous for the week before hand too. Obviously the confidentiality agreement prevents me from the release of any details, but I can tell you to just be yourself and try not to overthink it as authenticity of your responses is important. Nerves happen to everyone! If you weren't nervous about the interview I would think that the opportunity didn't mean all that much to you. I manage my nerves by remembering that the reason I'm nervous is because of how much the interview opportunity means to me, and that it is a direct result of how excited I am about the prospect of getting into Dentistry. I find that if I convince myself that the nervousness is a good thing, albeit uncomfortable, it is more easily utilized as a tool of enthusiasm. I guess staying excited about the opportunity and focusing on that sensation instead of nervousness is what makes it easier for me.

I'm from Inuvik, Northwest Territories in Canada. As far as my Academic Record goes, I took the CDAT and got:
PA 22
RC 23
MD 21
Bio 20
Chem 21

My overall GPA for my undergraduate BSc. Pharm was a 3.2. Not the greatest, but we were curved against each other in an already competitive program which made it difficult. My plan for August is to take another year of Science in university (I only had 1 year of Science as prerequisite to Pharmacy) to make my application more competitive for subsequent Dental applications and to qualify for some of those for which I'm missing courses.

I'm excited for you for your interview! I hope it goes really well. It would be an honour to have you as a colleague in the Sydney Dentistry Class commencing in 2016!

You know what's worse than the interview apprehension? After your interview while you're waiting in cautious excitement until the first offers are released on August 12... It's such a roller coaster of emotions isn't it??
Were you able to get in with those scores? I'm applying for this round and have similar scores.