Australia Vet School Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IvanD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a recent graduate and will start applying to a couple Australian vet schools pretty soon. Since I've found out that schools in Australia don't really release admittance statistics (that I can find), I was wondering if people who have recently been accepted to any Australian schools as an international student share some of your stats?

I'm currently looking at UMelbourne, USyd, Murdoch and Queensland. Basically all the AVMA schools.

My GPA isn't very high from undergrad, I'm more of an experience person and personal qualities kind of applicant. I'm just trying to gauge my chances.

I'm curious about your undergrad GPAs, hours of experience, types of experience and if you submitted additional letters of recommendations?

Thanks so much.
Ivan

Members don't see this ad.

I believe (and take this with a huge grain of salt because I don't know other than looking up stuff when I was thinking about doing that - studied abroad in undergrad at Murdoch and LOVED it, but I digress) that they don't look at your undergrad GPA quite so much because most of their programs are 5+ year programs that the typical Aussie students start straight from high school. So most of your incoming classmates would be like 18 years old or whatnot. Theoretically, you'd be getting another bachelor's with them before getting your vet degree (I think Masters level? I can't remember).

Also, you could try emailing their admissions departments?

Hi all,

I'm a recent graduate and will start applying to a couple Australian vet schools pretty soon. Since I've found out that schools in Australia don't really release admittance statistics (that I can find), I was wondering if people who have recently been accepted to any Australian schools as an international student share some of your stats?

I'm currently looking at UMelbourne, USyd, Murdoch and Queensland. Basically all the AVMA schools.

My GPA isn't very high from undergrad, I'm more of an experience person and personal qualities kind of applicant. I'm just trying to gauge my chances.

I'm curious about your undergrad GPAs, hours of experience, types of experience and if you submitted additional letters of recommendations?

Thanks so much.
Ivan

Sorry can't be too much help. altough I got into the veterinary program at Adelaide I think my gpa's and hours of experience would give a inaccurate representation of what would be needed since this was their first year implementing a interview and Questionnaire process.

Just one a side note warning, have you considered the tuition fee costs for international students? They're quite high ranging around 250,000$ AUD dollars (200,000$US) and this has to be paid upfront as you're not allowed to take loans if you're not a Aussie citizen.

However, if moneys not an issue and you have a high amount of hours and a big variety of experience I'm sure you have a good chance :)