Australian Medical School Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asquib007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,
I was wondering a few things about medical school in australia. I have a list compiled of schools that may fit the bill. One thing though, is there a bridge company (eg. UCAS/Atlantic Bridge etc.) for me to contact. I have sent out emails to the international branches for requirements and deadlines but most haven't been very helpful. Also, the gamsat exam is that a necessity to take to apply for australian medical schools or can I apply with my USA qualifications. Any help or guidance on the topic would be greatly appreciated. Also, I have just graduated high school and I will be attending penn state this fall semester but I will be applying during that time, so I believe I will have to apply for the 6 year programs. Thank you all and I hope to gain some knowledge on the topic at hand.

Regards.

Members don't see this ad.

The GAMSAT stands for Graduate Australian Medical School Admissions Test. It's a test required by graduate Australian medical schools--i.e. 4-year medical schools that require you to have already graduated college. It sounds like you just graduated high school. In that case, you'd need to apply to a 6 year program.

You don't really need a bridge company. I applied to Australian schools on my own, without too much hassle. But if you need somebody to hold your hand--which is totally understandable, because it can be a complicated process--than there a few companies you can choose from, like OzTREKK.

Could you tell me a bit more about your situation? Are you an American citizen? Why the rush to medical school? Where do you want to end up practising?

Hello All,
I was wondering a few things about medical school in australia. I have a list compiled of schools that may fit the bill. One thing though, is there a bridge company (eg. UCAS/Atlantic Bridge etc.) for me to contact. I have sent out emails to the international branches for requirements and deadlines but most haven't been very helpful. Also, the gamsat exam is that a necessity to take to apply for australian medical schools or can I apply with my USA qualifications. Any help or guidance on the topic would be greatly appreciated. Also, I have just graduated high school and I will be attending penn state this fall semester but I will be applying during that time, so I believe I will have to apply for the 6 year programs. Thank you all and I hope to gain some knowledge on the topic at hand.

Regards.

I used OzTREKK. It's a centralized application-type service geared towards Canadians, but others can use it, too. And it's free. They're not associated with all the schools, but certainly with many of them. Don't know how they manage to make it free, but I'd like to know.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also considering a graduate program at either USyd, UMelb or UQ. My situation is a bit different though. I'm a dual US/Australian citizen and would qualify for reduced tuition rates if I'm able to get a Commonwealth Supported Place. If I graduate, it's my understanding I'd be guaranteed a residency spot in the state that my medical school is located in. However, I have no desire to stay in Australia and would want to return to the US for residency.

My question is, do you think it's worth the huge savings on tuition by going to an Australian school if it means that I would have a harder time getting back into the North American system? Is there that much of a bias against Australian grads? What about all the IMGs/FMGs that are being recruited into the medical system by states like New York to fill the physician shortage? The last time I checked, placement rates for residency programs for US citizen IMGs was around 70%. That statistic would also take into account people graduating from countries with less reputable programs e.g. Mexico. Wouldn't an Australian school be an advantage when compared to those programs? How successful have your North American classmates been with securing 3rd and 4th year rotations and then residency?

Lastly, how would you compare the Australian healthcare system with the Canadian and US? How does the earning potential compare in terms of Australia and North America?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

In the US a first year resident/intern works 80hrs/week for 40K/year salary. In Australia just switch the numbers around, so you work 40hrs/week for 80K/year.

That's all I have time to answer right now. I'll try to fill in more later.