Average dermatologist salaries??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docusa85

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. Can someone please elaborate on average salary for a dermatologist. Please note I asked average. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. Can someone please elaborate on average salary for a dermatologist. Please note I asked average. Thank you

Agreed, Google will be your best bet. You aren't going to find many dermatologists freely advertising their salary or even the average salary for the field.

A word of caution on what you come across online. Average salary numbers are derived from surveys and it should be clear there are plenty of factors to skew those numbers.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
medscape says 300 k. I feel that is too low.... wot do u guys think?

I make millions a year, but my employer insists on paying me in Yen. With last week's paycheck I bought a ham sandwich and a shoe (I didn't have enough to buy the pair). I can't wait until I get paid again. I might buy the other shoe, but I'm hoping I can adapt to a one-shoe lifestyle. It doesn't always need to be the left shoe either. I mean, you could alternate, so one foot doesn't get lonely and jealous.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I make millions a year, but my employer insists on paying me in Yen. With last week's paycheck I bought a ham sandwich and a shoe (I didn't have enough to buy the pair). I can't wait until I get paid again. I might buy the other shoe, but I'm hoping I can adapt to a one-shoe lifestyle. It doesn't always need to be the left shoe either. I mean, you could alternate, so one foot doesn't get lonely and jealous.

At 1:15

Even if you could obtain the the true average of all derms in the US somehow, it still would be a very useless statistic by itself. Derm is especially difficult because not many dermatologists work what most consider a full-time schedule (i.e., working 5 full days a week). This is certainly true for a large majority of the dermatologists I know, and I know a lot. Any average that doesn't take the disparity in work hours into account in a fairly rigorous way is quite meaningless.

I'm sure that one could make this claim about any medical specialty, but it is probably a much bigger factor in derm.

I had a general question about salaries for not just dermatology but all medical specialties. Why do physicians (in most specialties) make less working for academic institutions than private practice. You would think these huge not for profit institutions (mayo clinic, johns hopkins, cleveland clinic, mass general, etc) who are actually making millions in profit but then just reinvesting in their institution or paying execs huge bonuses would pass some of that along to the docs and make their pay more comparable to private practice. Any insight on this?

I had a general question about salaries for not just dermatology but all medical specialties. Why do physicians (in most specialties) make less working for academic institutions than private practice. You would think these huge not for profit institutions (mayo clinic, johns hopkins, cleveland clinic, mass general, etc) who are actually making millions in profit but then just reinvesting in their institution or paying execs huge bonuses would pass some of that along to the docs and make their pay more comparable to private practice. Any insight on this?

I can't speak for any of the institutions you mentioned but at least at my home program:

- massive overhead (really the top factor, it was mind blowing to see the rent the department was paying at our primary clinic site)
- rampant inefficiencies
- indigent patient population resulting in poor reimbursement
- lacking in patient volume at satellite clinics
- lack of transparency (Our department reported a deficit in each of the years I was a resident. But even in better years, no one knew how the pot was divided. Evenly amongst the staff? To the most productive physicians? Simply eaten by the head?)

Wow, 8 messages and banned?

Do peds dermatologists really take a huge hit in terms of salary?

Do peds dermatologists really take a huge hit in terms of salary?

Pediatric dermatologists usually take some hit to their reimbursement because they do less in the way of procedures. How large that hit is depends on what percentage of your practice is pediatrics.

can someone comment on if a self employed dermatologist make more than one who's employed? i guess it all also depends on overhead and many other variables:

can someone comment on if a self employed dermatologist make more than one who's employed? i guess it all also depends on overhead and many other variables:

Per the medscape salary survey, self employed dermatologists make more (which makes sense)

Medscape: Medscape Access

You are correct that this does depend on numerous variables

I am an employed dermatologist and while I think the ultimate ceiling is probably higher for a self-employed dermatologist, my floor for this specific position is higher

For the record for anyone else reading this: Matt Leavitt has over 150 dermatology offices, and is the owner of what is likely the largest derm group in America. Not your average dermatologist.

And laying waste to our field
I'm actually looking forward to the day where price transparency allows us to slay this abomination.

I'm actually looking forward to the day where price transparency allows us to slay this abomination.

In my experience these mill-type megagroups heavily rely on extenders. Very very heavily. Also, volume is the king and quality is given lip service at most. So your blueprint for slaying this monster would be as follows:

1. Pick up JD
2. Sue the pants out of the providers--go after the extenders, not MDs
3. Profit.

Reactions: 1 users