Average hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brainmedicine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to know the average hours/week for a psychiatry resident, PGY1 to PGY4.

Members don't see this ad.

I want to know the average hours/week for a psychiatry resident, PGY1 to PGY4.

It varies by program. With some of the more busier ones I have seen 60+ easily, but some of the more chill ones around 40 or so. I don't think people go above 80 hours per week when averaged over a month.

Also, if you include the time spent reading over patients at home, doing notes at home, doing prep for court, projects etc. it can be in excess of 100+

But I think the time you can actually clock in is the time that you work at the hospital or clinic, you can't count time for reporting purposes when you do court work or paperwork at home, presentations, mental health court time, right?

Last edited:
Over the past three years of residency I have consistently worked around 50-60 hours a week, which I think is probably close to the national average. There have been a few weeks where I worked 70+ and others less than 40; it varies somewhat based on the rotation or call schedule. This estimate also includes time spent at home working on presentations, preparing for mental health court, doing research, and so on.

Members don't see this ad :)
PGY-1 on psych was 60 ish. Off psych was 70-80.

PGY-2 was 50-60.

PGY-3 is 50.

Reactions: 1 users
I think that things have changes since I was in-
PGY1- 80-90 with q4 call
PGY2- 60
PGY3-50
PGY 4 and 5- (I started child fellowship) 35 to 40. I did a ton of moonlighting these years, so added 15-20/week by choice= 50-60 total

I finished residency last year., but , on average:

PGY1-~50-60 hours
PGY2-~50 hours
PGY3- ~40 hours, moonlighting 12-15 hours each week.
PGY4- ~40 hours ish. , but by this point I was moonlighting ~15-20 hours each week.

Graduated last year from a program that was probably a tad bit more intense yet not super intense and pretty front-loaded. Here's what I remember.

PGY1 -- psychiatry inpatient (6 months): ~55 to 60 hours/week, IM inpatient (2 months): ~70 hours/week, ED (one month): ~18 10 hour shifts, outpatient medicine (1 month): 30 to 40 hours + no call (awesome!), neuro (2 months): ~40 hours (one weekend per month of daytime call)

PGY2 -- predominately all inpatient + consults + state hospital: probably 50 to 60 hours/week overall -- closer to 60 or more on consults and busy inpatient weeks, closer to 40 at state hospital. On call ~2 weekends/month. Nightfloat for 6 weeks, which was straight 60 hours/week yet pretty chill. This is the hardest year in my program.

PGY3 -- 40 to 50 hours/week if you include documentation/administrative stuff after clinic. Weekend call ~ every 4 to 6 weeks. Otherwise, free nights and weekends.

PGY4 -- 30? hours/week. No weekends or evenings. Almost all electives.

Wow, moonlighting 15 to 20 hours/week! Easy phone coverage stuff, or real actual work? I'm too lazy for that. I worked about 12 hours/month moonlighting as a PGY 3 and 4, which was about typical for most of my fellow residents. Or people would do one weekend a month at a hospital.

I did evening hours at a CMHC from 5-9pm every M,T, & W. I'd also work one or two 12hr overnight *brutal* shifts each month in an inpatient hospital doing admissions (ie: 12-14 admissions each night).

That was about average in my program for those that moonlight, but only half the residents did moonlighting at all.

I just about tripled my residency salary (and most importantly, paid off all my credit card debt lingering from medical school).

I'm an intern and usually work about 45-50 hours when on psych. On the off-service months, it was around 80 every week, with some weeks on medicine going over 80.

I'm an intern and usually work about 45-50 hours when on psych. On the off-service months, it was around 80 every week, with some weeks on medicine going over 80.

For medicine tho u average 80 per week for the month right? Some weeks might be higher or less as long as you average 80 per month

For medicine tho u average 80 per week for the month right? Some weeks might be higher or less as long as you average 80 per month

Let's just say more weeks than not were well over 80.

Yes, the current ACGME rules are for an average of 80 hrs per week over a month time period.