Average Salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So is it pretty common then for emergency physicians to make $150/hr, and for surgeons to make about the same per hour only working twice as much?
Depends on your idea of work. If your idea of work is in the OR on your feet all day long operating on a patient, then yes surgeons work harder. If your idea of hard work is on your feet all day seeing tons of patients, then the emergency physician works harder.

Perhaps it's just me, but I feel both work equally hard. Each career has its own demands, and each will be working hard. EM docs may see 25-30 patients in a shift and deal with a variety of patients, but the hospitalist who admits 12 patients in a shift is just as busy if not busier since he/she must take a more detailed history, write admission orders, deal with other patients, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

I meant that surgeons work twice as many hours, not they work twice as hard...sorry I did not clarify.

I meant that surgeons work twice as many hours, not they work twice as hard...sorry I did not clarify.

Nice thing about EM is that after you're done, you can go home and ENJOY the money you've made without being interrupted by your pager.

You can even take vacations without worrying about who will cross-cover your clinic patients.

Members don't see this ad :)
My goal is to work in an an Emergency Department that is not as routinely chaotic, inefficient, and annoying as the typical academic environment. My friends who have graduated and are now working as attendings tell me that is different, like night and day. One of my (unwritten) requirements for my first job was that it had no medical students, no residents, and no academic attendings. There is a big University level one trauma center in the city where I will work but that's as close as I want to get.

Am I the only one who is sick of residency?

My goal is to work in an an Emergency Department that is not as routinely chaotic, inefficient, and annoying as the typical academic environment. My friends who have graduated and are now working as attendings tell me that is different, like night and day. One of my (unwritten) requirements for my first job was that it had no medical students, no residents, and no academic attendings. There is a big University level one trauma center in the city where I will work but that's as close as I want to get.

Am I the only one who is sick of residency?

Panda, you have a better avatar in ya'.