Average undergrad GPA for PsyD or PhD programs? Cumulative vs major GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wolvereenie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a sophomore psychology major at a pretty well-regarded university. I came into college pretty bent on being pre-med, and took pre-med science classes for my first three semesters. I did okay my freshman year, but took a bunch of science classes this semester and became very overwhelmed. I am doing terribly in my classes right now and will probably get mostly C's. I also spent a lot of time this semester stressing out over my future and became depressed with the realization that I cannot emotionally handle med school. As a result, my cumulative GPA looks like it's going to drop from a 3.77 to anywhere between a 3.3 and 3.4 (depending on how my last final goes) after this semester. My psych major GPA is a 3.92.

I am looking into applying for PsyD or PhD programs after I graduate undergrad. Even though I'll work to raise my GPA over the next couple semesters, I am very nervous that the C's on my transcript and the blow to my cumulative GPA will set me back from the other psych majors who didn't take hard science classes.

So, my questions are 1) What's the average cumulative GPA of matriculating grad students? and 2) Will they look mainly at major GPA or cumulative GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

I am very nervous that the C's on my transcript and the blow to my cumulative GPA will set me back from the other psych majors who didn't take hard science classes.

Many of us took "hard science" classes in UG, bubba.

So, my questions are 1) What's the average cumulative GPA of matriculating grad students? and 2) Will they look mainly at major GPA or cumulative GPA?

1-Look at the programs you're applying to. Most will list incoming class GPAs and GREs on their web sites.
2-Look at the application materials for the sites you're interested in, if you can access them. Many will ask for total, last 2 years, and psych GPAs. An upward slope over time is better than a dip at the end, or consistent mediocre grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, our bachelors of science required chem, calculus, anatomy and physio, advanced stats, among others. Schools notice who takes fluff classes and who doesn't. People applying to grad school generally take a tougher course load than those who are psych majors with no intent on postgrad education.

I am a sophomore psychology major at a pretty well-regarded university. I came into college pretty bent on being pre-med, and took pre-med science classes for my first three semesters. I did okay my freshman year, but took a bunch of science classes this semester and became very overwhelmed. I am doing terribly in my classes right now and will probably get mostly C's. I also spent a lot of time this semester stressing out over my future and became depressed with the realization that I cannot emotionally handle med school. As a result, my cumulative GPA looks like it's going to drop from a 3.77 to anywhere between a 3.3 and 3.4 (depending on how my last final goes) after this semester. My psych major GPA is a 3.92.

I am looking into applying for PsyD or PhD programs after I graduate undergrad. Even though I'll work to raise my GPA over the next couple semesters, I am very nervous that the C's on my transcript and the blow to my cumulative GPA will set me back from the other psych majors who didn't take hard science classes.

This statement doesn't make much sense to me - "emotionally handle medical school". Grad school in psychology will put you through an emotional and intellectual wringer, as well. You could always head on down to your college counseling center, grab some coping tools and increased self-awareness and get more emotionally capable. Oh and from what I remember about pre-med, second year was when organic-chem was up and that was the dreaded class. If you can pass it maybe you would be alright, ask the medical docs about that one.

This statement doesn't make much sense to me - "emotionally handle medical school". Grad school in psychology will put you through an emotional and intellectual wringer, as well. You could always head on down to your college counseling center, grab some coping tools and increased self-awareness and get more emotionally capable. Oh and from what I remember about pre-med, second year was when organic-chem was up and that was the dreaded class. If you can pass it maybe you would be alright, ask the medical docs about that one.

Agreed re: being able to "emotionally handle" medical vs. grad school. They're both stressful, just for somewhat different reasons. Keep in mind that while in grad school, you're going to likely be asked to conduct emotionally-intensive work with individuals experiencing significant emotional distress while perhaps traversing with your own emotional trials and stresses. It's not less stressful than being asked to learning/memorize ridiculous amounts of information, it's just a different type of stress.

As for GPA, as WisNeuro mentioned, individual programs will generally list the stats for their recent incoming classes. If you can keep it around 3.4 or 3.5, I'd imagine you should be ok for most programs (I got in with a 3.4something), assuming the rest of your application is strong and your psych GPA remains high.