average urgent care salaries in PHX?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnsmith130077

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys... can any experienced person comment on average urgent care salaries in PHX for family practitioners and regarding work hours?

Members don't see this ad.

I have never worked urgent care as a salaried provider. Depending on location as locums I get anywhere from $80-115/hr.

Bear in mind that all my travel, housing, rental car, and malpractice are taken care of, hence the lower hourly rate.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
look for MGMA data for more specifics but this is usually regional data. Looking at one city maybe too specific.

I did my residency in Family Medicine. I earn greater than 300,000 dollars working part time (~30hrs/week) Urgent Care.

My facility is part of a large medical group in California. The urgent cares in our system serve to expand access to care to patients who cannot get into see their PCPs during the day OR to prevent them from going to the ER for minor issues (lacerations, minor fractures, UTIs, PNAs) during nights and weekends.

The majority of employees in our UC group are FM trained, followed by PAs/FNPs, and a handful of ER docs as well.

On average a doc sees 22-36 (sometimes more, sometimes less) pts per 8 hour shifts. Being part of a large medical group we have access to all radiology and lab, specialty consultation if needed, and we refer to our own ER. 99 percent of patients are insured and are referred back to their PCPs which are in the same medical group.

Like I said, docs in UC in our system are making 250,000+ and into 300,000. The reimbursement structure is comparable to how FP's are compensated in the area. The base salary is 180,000 for full time with RVU. Also includes retirement, health, dental, vision, life insurance sick and vacation days, etc. Though they are working on the same compensation model as FPs, they bill for more RVUs in total because they see more patients (problem focused) and do more procedures (lac repair, I+D, splinting). Hence in the revenue generating "sweat equity" model, the UC docs earn good money.

When I was a resident moonlighting in the same clinics, I was earning approx 90 per hour without benefits and no RVU bonus. I think most people get exposure to UC as part timers earning an hourly wage and assume that everybody gets paid that lower amount. However, if you can get into the an UC that offers a base salary and then rewards you for the revenue you generate, it can potentially equate to fairly robust salary.

I find that its the "secret" job path for FPs. I had never considered it as an option until my last year in residency when i started moonlighting. I found the aggravation to be much lower. Problem focused visits are very satisfying to MDs and patients. No chronic pain management. Less axis II issues to deal with during problem focused visits. Less administrative paperwork (prior auth, DMV forms, etc). Being open 7 days/week, I get to choose what days I work which I find gives me more flexibility. The lifestyle is good, the stress is low and the work is a very sustainable.

Last edited:
I did my residency in Family Medicine. I earn greater than 300,000 dollars working part time (~30hrs/week) Urgent Care.

My facility is part of a large medical group in California. The urgent cares in our system serve to expand access to care to patients who cannot get into see their PCPs during the day OR to prevent them from going to the ER for minor issues (lacerations, minor fractures, UTIs, PNAs) during nights and weekends.

The majority of employees in our UC group are FM trained, followed by PAs/FNPs, and a handful of ER docs as well.

On average a doc sees 22-36 (sometimes more, sometimes less) pts per 8 hour shifts. Being part of a large medical group we have access to all radiology and lab, specialty consultation if needed, and we refer to our own ER. 99 percent of patients are insured and are referred back to their PCPs which are in the same medical group.

Like I said, docs in UC in our system are making 250,000+ and into 300,000. The reimbursement structure is comparable to how FP's are compensated in the area. The base salary is 180,000 for full time with RVU. Also includes retirement, health, dental, vision, life insurance sick and vacation days, etc. Though they are working on the same compensation model as FPs, they bill for more RVUs in total because they see more patients (problem focused) and do more procedures (lac repair, I+D, splinting). Hence in the revenue generating "sweat equity" model, the UC docs earn good money.

When I was a resident moonlighting in the same clinics, I was earning approx 90 per hour without benefits and no RVU bonus. I think most people get exposure to UC as part timers earning an hourly wage and assume that everybody gets paid that lower amount. However, if you can get into the an UC that offers a base salary and then rewards you for the revenue you generate, it can potentially equate to fairly robust salary.

I find that its the "secret" job path for FPs. I had never considered it as an option until my last year in residency when i started moonlighting. I found the aggravation to be much lower. Problem focused visits are very satisfying to MDs and patients. No chronic pain management. Less axis II issues to deal with during problem focused visits. Less administrative paperwork (prior auth, DMV forms, etc). Being open 7 days/week, I get to choose what days I work which I find gives me more flexibility. The lifestyle is good, the stress is low and the work is a very sustainable.

I just have a hard time believing this...but, if it is so, then I am happy for you! This will certainly attract people to primary care! haha

Happy,

is your situation typical? Are you in the boonies? Do you have the option to buy-in to the urgent care you work for?

I just have a hard time believing this...but, if it is so, then I am happy for you! This will certainly attract people to primary care! haha

Yeah, I have a hard time believing it, too.

-It's an atypical situation for family medicine. It's why I'll never leave. The salary is based on profit sharing and the RVUs are generated from patient volume and procedures. The majority of visits are things like URIs, UTIs, etc. But volume is high and there are minor procedures. Like I said the base salary is 180K and the rest is from revenue sharing. I had a hard time believing it when I first saw the productivity bonuses. The primary care docs in the system also earn above average (250+ full time after their RVUs)
-Its not in the boonies, but not in LA or SF. One of its major competitors is of course the big "K"
-You can eventually buy into the "share holder track" of the medical group
-Feel free to PM me for more messages

Believe it or not its true. Surprisingly a number of my peers in my residency program passed up opportunities to take the same job I work now in lieu of primary care jobs for lower paying salaries, for academic, geriatric and sports medicine fellowships. We go into family medicine believing in the "mission" of continuity of care, community medicine and chronic disease management. Urgent care is the the opposite of that. A number of my peers scoffed at Urgent Care because its narrow focus within the larger scope of family medicine. Honestly, while the income is nice, you have to pick a career that is good for you and you can do for a long time. I think the flexibility I get from shift work without inbox far outweighs the benefits of the larger salary.

Is the West coast just higher paid/more expensive than the east coast?

A beginning doctor at an urgent care here will make 95-105/hr. Some of the people who have been doing it awhile/retired EM doctors make like 130/hr!!! (260,000 or so)

This is amazing and I'm getting ready to interview. Thanks for the information! I will be using your experience as a baseline for my negotiation!

Members don't see this ad :)
salary difference between urgent care and primary care for fresh family practice grads?

salary difference between urgent care and primary care for fresh family practice grads?
Going rate in my area (Southeast) for regular FP jobs in decent sized cities has been starting at around 150k while urgent care is between 180-200k. All of those numbers go up as you move further away from cities.

Going rate in my area (Southeast) for regular FP jobs in decent sized cities has been starting at around 150k while urgent care is between 180-200k. All of those numbers go up as you move further away from cities.

Is this as a 1099 or a W-2?

thanx

Happy,

Would you tell us what 'system' this is? Additionally, are you hired as a 1099/IC or as a W-2?

thanx

Happy,

Would you tell us what 'system' this is? Additionally, are you hired as a 1099/IC or as a W-2?

thanx
His would have to be W-2, you don't get paid bonus and RVU's as a locums or independent except in a rare case. Also, you would not be in one place long enough as in IC to pull that kind of cash at one facility.

I'm on track for this profession. It's definitely a "best kept secret" in FP.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure about that. The money is good certainly, but I have a sneaking feeling that cold come and flu season I will get real tired of it real fast.
You have to go with your gut for sure.

If you want to work urgent care, the economically smart position is not to work urgent care, but to own urgent care:

http://www.practiceworld.com/RealEstate/Browse.asp?cid=36
http://www.bizbuysell.com/Business-...able-South-Florida-Urgent-Care-Center/759876/
http://www.mergernetwork.com/for-sale/million-revenue-urgent-care-clinic/337231.htm
http://www.mergernetwork.com/for-sale/successful-urgent-care-for-sale-alpharetta-ga/356892.htm

Unfortunately, most doctors are too chicken $hit to take any significant business risks, so they will spend their lives rotting away being humble employees.....and complaining about it.

Be the doc who DOES something about it.

Last edited:
If you want to work urgent care, the economically smart position is not to work urgent care, but to own urgent care:

http://www.practiceworld.com/RealEstate/Browse.asp?cid=36
http://www.bizbuysell.com/Business-...able-South-Florida-Urgent-Care-Center/759876/
http://www.mergernetwork.com/for-sale/million-revenue-urgent-care-clinic/337231.htm
http://www.mergernetwork.com/for-sale/successful-urgent-care-for-sale-alpharetta-ga/356892.htm

Unfortunately, most doctors are too chicken $hit to take any significant business risks, so they will spend their lives rotting away being humble employees.....and complaining about it.

Be the doc who DOES something about it.
Or if you don't want the headache of owning AND you don't want to be an emploee either: LOCUMS gives you that freedom. If you don't like how they treat you or the job isn't what was pitched to you there is no argument, you just walk out and move on.