Avg number of interview invites per program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChessMaster3000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did a pretty extensive search on this and couldnt find anything. Was wondering for most IM programs, how many interview invites are sent out. I realize programs vary in size, so it might best be thought of as number of interviews per spot. For example, many of the prominent IM programs have 35-50 residents per program. For these, how many do you suppose are interviewed?

Members don't see this ad.

It looks like 10 interviews per categorical spot is pretty standard.

Members don't see this ad :)
If by "extensive" (in quotes for a reason) means: "I didn't know so I decided to start a thread"; then I buy the story you're trying to sell.

If by "extensive" you actually used the forum search feature and decided not to read anyway, I'm calling "horse****"

You can piss on my back and tell me it rain but don't crap on my back and tell me it's just warm, soft hail.

Did a pretty extensive search on this and couldnt find anything. Was wondering for most IM programs, how many interview invites are sent out. I realize programs vary in size, so it might best be thought of as number of interviews per spot. For example, many of the prominent IM programs have 35-50 residents per program. For these, how many do you suppose are interviewed?
Look it up on FREIDA.

So I need at least ten interviews and I am guaranteed a spot?
Good to know! I'm going to apply to more programs.

You're kind of asking a different question than the OP but, if you're an AMG, the answer is yes. The chance of matching asymptotically approaches 100 at 10 programs. For "Independent Applicants" it's more like 18 to get the same chances.

The answer to that is yes, but not for the reason that you think.

The average program goes down 6.5 spots on it's rank list for every spot they have. That means a program with 10 spots who interviews 100 applicants will, on average, fill the 10th spot with the applicant ranked #65. Why do they interview the other 35 applicants? Because half of the programs in this country will go further down their list than average and programs would like to have a buffer. So if you're ranked 35th percentile or higher, you're likely to match.

If it was completely random where in the distribution of the rank list any individual applicant would fall, having 10 interviews would give you a 1-0.35^10 chance of matching, or 99.99%. Hell, three interviews would give you a 95% chance of matching. But of course, it is NOT completely random where applicants fall. Some weak applicants who apply to reach programs and squeak by to get an interview might consistently be ranked near the bottom of the respective programs rank lists. Perhaps some applicants don't interview well. Or whatever else.

Look at the charting outcomes data and you see pretty clearly that throughout the distribution, people are matching somewhat less often than you would assume if ranking were random. Once you get to about 7-8 interviews, it gets to almost 100% match rate and anyone who didn't match probably had a pretty specific reason they didn't. So does your chance of matching approach 1? Sure. But you don't care about the population of people with X number of interviews. You only care about n=1. If you are an incredibly awkward person, you might be one of the 4 unlucky souls who did not match IM even with >15 interviews last year. So you still have to try.

Reactions: 5 users
I was only kidding, but this is pretty cool info.
If you are an incredibly awkward person, you might be one of the 4 unlucky souls who did not match IM

Oh shiiiiii

The answer to that is yes, but not for the reason that you think.

The average program goes down 6.5 spots on it's rank list for every spot they have. That means a program with 10 spots who interviews 100 applicants will, on average, fill the 10th spot with the applicant ranked #65. Why do they interview the other 35 applicants? Because half of the programs in this country will go further down their list than average and programs would like to have a buffer. So if you're ranked 35th percentile or higher, you're likely to match.

If it was completely random where in the distribution of the rank list any individual applicant would fall, having 10 interviews would give you a 1-0.35^10 chance of matching, or 99.99%. Hell, three interviews would give you a 95% chance of matching. But of course, it is NOT completely random where applicants fall. Some weak applicants who apply to reach programs and squeak by to get an interview might consistently be ranked near the bottom of the respective programs rank lists. Perhaps some applicants don't interview well. Or whatever else.

Look at the charting outcomes data and you see pretty clearly that throughout the distribution, people are matching somewhat less often than you would assume if ranking were random. Once you get to about 7-8 interviews, it gets to almost 100% match rate and anyone who didn't match probably had a pretty specific reason they didn't. So does your chance of matching approach 1? Sure. But you don't care about the population of people with X number of interviews. You only care about n=1. If you are an incredibly awkward person, you might be one of the 4 unlucky souls who did not match IM even with >15 interviews last year. So you still have to try.

WTF is this nerd ****?!

Reactions: 1 user
If by "extensive" (in quotes for a reason) means: "I didn't know so I decided to start a thread"; then I buy the story you're trying to sell.

If by "extensive" you actually used the forum search feature and decided not to read anyway, I'm calling "horse****"

You can piss on my back and tell me it rain but don't crap on my back and tell me it's just warm, soft hail.

Actually I spent at least 20 minutes searching sdn as well as the greater web. There was extensive discussion on related questions. But not this specific one that I could tell, although I acknowledge I could have missed a thread with the wrong search terms. "Sorry" (in quotes for a reason) if 20 minutes wasn't enough time before I should have decided that it was time to post.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually I spent at least 20 minutes searching sdn as well as the greater web. There was extensive discussion on related questions. But not this specific one that I could tell, although I acknowledge I could have missed a thread with the wrong search terms. "Sorry" (in quotes for a reason) if 20 minutes wasn't enough time before I should have decided that it was time to post.

So what you are saying was "extensive" was a "bit" of hyperbole.

Noted.

Apology accepted.

but you didn't think to check FREIDA…this is pretty well documented for each program…shouldn't have taken more than 5 mins.

but you didn't think to check FREIDA…this is pretty well documented for each program…shouldn't have taken more than 5 mins.
I wasn't familiar with freida, and just searched a couple IM programs and didn't see the number of interviews offered listed.

Did you look through all the tabs of information? There is a lot of it.

It actually isn't.

https://freida.ama-assn.org/Freida/user/programDetails.do?pgmNumber=1404112358#general

funny...its says right here under " interviews conducted last year for first year positions"....248

i would kinda take that to mean that they interviewed 248 people for the 20 1st year positions they have...EXACTLY how much more specific were you lookin' for?

There are many programs that don't provide that information. Case in point: https://freida.ama-assn.org/Freida/user/programDetails.do?pgmNumber=1401621119

yes, some do, some don't...but your statement is that they actually don't...one example of FREIDA doing so proves you wrong...

jeez peasy? do y'all really need EVERYTHING laid out in front of you?....millennials...

Excuse me, but you wrote that "this [#interviews/spot or program] is pretty well documented for each [emphasis added] program..."

My statement in post #20 is perfectly accurate.

Excuse me, but you wrote that "this [#interviews/spot or program] is pretty well documented for each [emphasis added] program..."

My statement in post #20 is perfectly accurate.
fair enough...guess programs are getting lazy too...all the programs listed that information when i applied for residency (though in all fairness was in 2007).

fair enough...guess programs are getting lazy too...all the programs listed that information when i applied for residency (though in all fairness was in 2007).

Fair enough. It would be very helpful for all the programs to get on board and/or update their profiles.