Avoid westview hospital indiana

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oldManDO2009

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my experience and yes I feel totally burned by this organization.

In a galaxy far far away a lowly intern accepted a position for a transitional year having not matched for EM in the ACGME world. As I was finishing up my orientation a position became available for EM and I was excited. So I approached my PD and she stated it was no problem and that they would release me. The new program required a letter of release and when I went to get the letter I found they were charging we over 1200 dollars to let me go. I can understand paying for the white coats and licensing fees but they charged me for every fee under the sun. Now Indiana does not allow deductions unless the employer gets a signed statement form the employee. Guess what, unless I agreed to all of these fees there was no letter in my future. These people suck and you should stay away - far away.

When I was discussing the program with the PD - one of my concerns was a family friendly program that did not beat you like a rented mule. I was assured that this was not the case and hours were reasonable with NO CALL (could not believe I was hearing this - no call!). I get my schedule and hours consisted of 7AM to 7PM 5 days a week (not to bad) but I also had 2 weekends of call (CALL???) with a grand total of 312 hours a month with two 13 day stretches. The real issue is that they can't fill their spots and so interns fill all the holes. I made a terrible mistake not talking to a current residents - because I would have went elsewhere had I found out that this was the schedule for the next year.

So this program has an honesty problem and what they say and what they do are quite different. NOW again this is my experience but if you have questions please PM me and I will show you the documents.

My hope is that someone else does not have to go through what I did. All they had to say was no you can't go to another program, we are going to charge you for every single expense we incurred (even though this was not stipulated in the contract) and that would have been acceptable and I could have based my decision on truthful facts. But they forced me to sign a letter agreeing to these deductions knowing I could not start the other program without this release. they are snakes and you should avoid being bitten.....

Members don't see this ad.

On the information that you have provided, I think that Westview Hosp was more than fair.

okay so they charged you 1200 to leave. You should be glad that this program offered you a scramble position AND then let you leave after orientation. It's just interesting that even after not matching, you were expecting a chiller schedule than one would get at a transitional program.

Imagine what they could be saying: "so this kid didn't secure a position in the regular match, we gave him a spot and then right before internship starts, he decides to leave - what are we supposed to do now because we have to fill his spot"

Members don't see this ad :)
Very, very poor form to publicly call out a program like this - especially when it doesn't sound like they behaved badly in any way. The program is under no obligation to make it easy for you to leave, really.

You're burning bridges before you've even begun building new ones. Careful about what you say on a public forum - this can get back to you pretty quickly

My hope is that someone else does not have to go through what I did. All they had to say was no you can't go to another program, we are going to charge you for every single expense we incurred (even though this was not stipulated in the contract) and that would have been acceptable and I could have based my decision on truthful facts. But they forced me to sign a letter agreeing to these deductions knowing I could not start the other program without this release. they are snakes and you should avoid being bitten.....

:confused: You would prefer to not be allowed to go to the other program rather than being able to get out of your contract by paying some money? I don't understand that. If I could have gotten a spot in my preferred specialty just by paying some extra money I would have been glad to do it. In the long run, getting to do your specialty of choice is well worth it.

I suggest deleting this post.

Very, very poor form to publicly call out a program like this - especially when it doesn't sound like they behaved badly in any way. The program is under no obligation to make it easy for you to leave, really.

You're burning bridges before you've even begun building new ones. Careful about what you say on a public forum - this can get back to you pretty quickly

Yup. I imagine it is very easy for both programs involved to identify this individual.

Delete your post and suck it up. It would be soooo easy to identify you from your posts, and you're not doing yourself any favors by calling out this program. Your current program could easily identify you.

From this and your other post, you would've been working <80 hours per week, and your program agreed to release you from your contract to join the EM program...

Last edited:
Do you know how hard it is to have a program release you from your contract without overt animosity? You are cheerfully released with a letter of good standing in exchange for fees that were included in the contract you signed?

Agree with the others, better delete this **** before either party finds out what a whiner they have/had.