Away Elective in South Korea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adc_needs_buff

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone has experience doing an away elective in Korea during their fourth year. I understand which programs are available (Asan, SNU, etc.), but wanted to get a general vibe of the intensity of the program. Do they expect away students to write notes, how the hours are, etc. A lot of the previous posts don't have students who have actively done the rotation there sharing there experience, so I was hoping I could get some insight.

Also, how much Korean is usually necessary? I am a Korean immigrant so I do not have much concerns about fluency, but I learned all medical terminology and medications in English so I would need some adjusting there. Hopefully it's not too intense in that sense?

Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I think there is a thread from a decade plus ago also with this question so might not be as helpful now. Is their a particular reason you want to do an away rotation in Korea ? Is it part of some global health elective that your school has or just a random interest on your part ? I can only imagine that there would have to be some logistics/coordination to set up something that isn't already established within your school as part of a larger curriculum. The only person I know who did a rotation in Seoul was during a fellowship month for a very super-sub specialized surgical fellowship

Good luck !

Last edited:
If you have the ability, GO! it sounds awesome and you may never get the chance again

Hi -

There are a few varying factors to your question.

1 - What medical school do you attend

2 - Has your med school agreed that you will receive credit for this elective going to Korea? Make sure its in writing and you receive an outline of what is necessary in order to receive the credit for the elective

3 - your LOR from this elective will not help for showing same specialty commitment.

Depending on your med school, it may be best to complete your 3rd/4th year clinicals and then post graduation complete an abroad clinical experience to discuss in your Personal Statement for when you apply.

- Jacquelyn

Last edited by a moderator: