Away rotation at St. Jude?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

windcolour

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am from a school without a home RO program. As a former employee, I have a close relationship with several faculties at St. Jude (also has no residency program). If I do an away rotation there, I am confident I could get very strong recommendation letters from Drs. Tom Merchant or Larry Kun.

I am planning to do two away rotations and has set up one at my dream program. I am wondering if I should do one at St. Jude or find another place with residency program?

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I am from a school without a home RO program. As a former employee, I have a close relationship with several faculties at St. Jude (also has no residency program). If I do an away rotation there, I am confident I could get very strong recommendation letters from Drs. Tom Merchant or Larry Kun.

I am planning to do two away rotations and has set up one at my dream program. I am wondering if I should do one at St. Jude or find another place with residency program?

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated!

Disclaimer: Take my advice with the largest of salt.

I am not any further ahead of you so my advice is based on reading these boards the last few years. It seems to me that your best bet is to use your limited away opportunities to visit places with residency programs. While a good LOR is valuable, an in at a program is likely worth more to someone who doesn't have a home program. Just my thoughts!

Members don't see this ad :)
Many thanks. I genuinely appreciate.

I think the advice above is solid, but if at all possible try to do 3 rotations, because a good letter from Kun/Merchant probably has some sway. Otherwise, yeah, stick to places that have residencies.
S

Merchant and Kun are powerful. Dr. Kun is on the board of directors of ASTRO and I think he was president of the RadOnc portion of the ABR in the past. Dr. Merchant is famous and the head of COG Rad Onc related issues. Most academic rad oncs in the country will want to stay on their good side, even if they don't treat Peds. Can you get a letter from them without doing a rotation there? I would definitely try to get something from at least one of them.