Away rotation at Top 10 program - good or bad idea

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AngryBird69

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, an anesthesiologist told me that auditioning at any top program will probably do more harm than good. Could some attendings and residents please chime in?

P.s. i realize a top 10 gas residency is not the end all and be all of being a successful anesthesiologist; having done research at this particular institution i just really really like it.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, an anesthesiologist told me that auditioning at any top program will probably do more harm than good. Could some attendings and residents please chime in?

P.s. i realize a top 10 gas residency is not the end all and be all of being a successful anesthesiologist; having done research at this particular institution i just really really like it.

It can go both ways. If you get along well with the people in the program and they like you it would definitely be a positive. However, if for some reason the opposite occurs, then yes, you have done more harm than good.

If your record on paper needs some spiffing up, then go for it, not much to lose. If your record on a paper is awesome and you have no geographic restrictions, then no need. If you are average to good on paper and want nothing more than to match at this particular program, do it. If you're better on paper in person, then it's a no. Lots of threads on the subject. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm rotating right now at a hospital not affiliated w my med school. What I'm finding is that it takes time to learn a new system, to get to know the residents, and to get to know the attendings. Plus I have minimal previous anes experience. Where I am rotating they have me with a different attending everyday so it takes time to build that relationship. This place is huge with tons of or suites and being in a different spot everyday I feel like a big noob. Often I find myself in the way of the attendings and residents. I vote don't rotate there if it's really where you want to end up.

Disagree. If you have a particular place in mind that you strongly hope to end up then you should try to get an elective there and go balls to the wall.; If it turns out they didn't like you for some reason then you will be glad to know ahead of time that its not a place where you fit in.

Disagree. If you have a particular place in mind that you strongly hope to end up then you should try to get an elective there and go balls to the wall.; If it turns out they didn't like you for some reason then you will be glad to know ahead of time that its not a place where you fit in.

X2. That's how you can get a foot in the door at the most competitive programs if you're not a student there. Nothing to lose, and if you're a good fit they'll rank you to match.

Seeing it now from a senior resident perspective, it is so easy to impress on these rotations as a med student. Get there early, have a great attitude, never complain, ask how you can help the resident out. If told to take a break, do it.

Nobody expects you to be great at putting in IVs, intubating, etc, but having a great attitude and coming across as being a solid team member and somebody you can trust and rely on will get you so far. Towards the end of your rotation, if you gel with a particular senior resident/attending work with them a few times and they'll be more inclined to put in a good word for you. Express interest in the program and ask the residents what you should do/who you should talk to (ie progr director, asst prog director, med student clerkship director, etc).

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Last edited:
go there, be willing to learn and listen. it will make a big impression. if you are difficult to teach or work with, that will also make a big impression.

You should go to find out if you fit in with the program's culture, not to impress people. If you fit in you'll naturally impress. If you don't fit in, you haven't really lost anything because you would have been absolutely miserable. 4 years from now you'll realize (hopefully not the hard way) that the most important factor in choosing a residency is finding a group of people that you get along with and who share your values.

If you are outgoing and curious and smile a lot, you'll benefit from an away rotation.
If you are shy and like to internalize things, you won't have enough time to benefit from an away rotation.

It's very hard to impress an attending with skill or knowledge since the learning curve is so steep; personality is more important to most people.

I spoke with the residency director from one of the top 10 programs about what I should be doing for a competitive match, he told me if I really wanted to match at his institution I should do an away rotation there, that it can give you a serious bump if they know you when it comes time to do their rank list.

In my many years of experience, it is much more common for a sub par student on paper to increase their stock than it is for an outstanding student to decrease their stock. It is also not uncommon for a student who is below average on paper to prove why they are below average on paper.

I'm not in anesthesia but I think aways sort of apply to every field. I would say that unless you need it, doing an away at a high end place is not recommended. Unless you can be a superstar and really impress attendings, it's not really going to do much good. Particularly for something like anesthesia where you can't really do a whole lot as a student, you are sort of just going to be watching for the most part and it's not going to do much for you. Also in the unfortunate case where you don't wholly get along with the residents or something like that it's going to hurt your app more than anything.

Also if you are extroverted/outgoing it's likely to be helpful, vs. if you are on the shy/introverted side, it may do more harm than good.

So after having asked around extensively, it seems the majority of folks think it is a bad idea to do an away at a T10 if you already look good on paper and especially if you already did research there. Just thought I'd post this up for future n00bs like myself :D

Thanks again to everyone who posted here. SDN is truly an invaluable source.