Away rotation first 1/2 of February - value added or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theWUbear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
thanks for advice; disregard

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
98% chance it won't help you. Most programs are done interviewing in January and an ultrasound elective doesn't carry the same weight as a true sub-I. If they like you they would interview you before this rotation anyway.

98% chance it won't help you. Most programs are done interviewing in January and an ultrasound elective doesn't carry the same weight as a true sub-I. If they like you they would interview you before this rotation anyway.
Disagree. Obviously it won't help you get an interview.

If you make a good impression on the folks there, that can only help you on the ROL.

Remember, away rotations are a double edged sword. Everybody thinks they can show up, work hard and make a good impression. That's not always the case. A bad impression changes your rank MUCH more than a good impression does.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

If you make a good impression on the folks there, that can only help you on the ROL.

Remember, away rotations are a double edged sword. Everybody thinks they can show up, work hard and make a good impression. That's not always the case. A bad impression changes your rank MUCH more than a good impression does.

Rank lists are done by committee. Do you think the fact that they've done one week of a US rotation before rank lists are due is going to make the committee bump them up a bunch on the list? No.

Reactions: 1 users

I have to agree with fox. Following the fellow/US resident around and checking out gallbladders for a few hours a day isn't going to demonstrate much. There's a reason it's generally inadvisable to get a SLOE from an US rotation.

I have to agree with fox. Following the fellow/US resident around and checking out gallbladders for a few hours a day isn't going to demonstrate much. There's a reason it's generally inadvisable to get a SLOE from an US rotation.

This isn't a SLOE. This is basically a rotation with quite a bit of face time with some of the faculty. At least at my institution, the US faculty are all part of program leadership.

Like I said, a bad impression will knock you down the list, even if it's one week before ROL are due. I can promise you that.

A good impression may move you up a bit. Our PD is moving the list basically until it's submitted, and definitely takes the opinions of his leadership into account.

And to respond to Fox - our ROL is discussed in a committee that basically includes anyone who wants to participate, but the final list is up to our PD and PD alone.

This isn't a SLOE. This is basically a rotation with quite a bit of face time with some of the faculty. At least at my institution, the US faculty are all part of program leadership.
Yes, I realize that. I'm saying I don't see the trouble in a rotation that is otherwise not even regarded as adequate to base a formal recommendation on.

thanks for advice; disregard
And it would appear it doesn't matter to discuss further. GL this season, bear.