Away Rotation Grades and matching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nightmusic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a fourth year IMG applying to Family Medicine. I did 2 family rotations, including a sub-I, in the USA and only passed both of them. I wasn't surprised that I only passed the first rotation since it was my first rotation in the US and it took me some time to figure out my role as a medical student.

However, my second rotation (the sub-I) seemed to go really well. I asked for feedback regularly and it was good. I had a good rapport with the residents and was told by a couple of different attendings that my presentations were great, my notes were good and I was doing well managing my patients. Residents generally signed off on my plans without any concerns. Two attendings agreed to write me LoRs from that rotation, so I was somewhat surprised to get a pass evaluation that said I needed to work on oral presentations and was lacking experience.

I have most of my residency interviews already, so my question is how will these lackluster fourth year electives affect where programs rank me? Also, what is the likelihood that I will be asked about these grades during interviews and how should I answer? I feel like I can genuinely explain and understand why my first grade was mediocre, but I am really lost as to what I could have done differently or improved during my sub-I. I'm also wondering if it would be worth reaching out to my sub-I program to clarify some of these issues.

As an IMG I'm concerned that these show that I am behind/don't function well in the US medical system. It's particularly discouraging because I thought I was doing reasonably well.

Members don't see this ad.

Those grades will impact your chances at those programs that you were at and not a ton else. There are literally hundreds of variables that we consider for our resident applicants. A grade or two in non-core clerkships is going to be a very small part of the puzzle. Nobody is going to ask you about 'just passing' a non-core clerkship. If you were thinking GS and had a pass in surgery, someone might ask, unlikely, but they might. But, in this case, very unlikely.

Reactions: 1 users
For family medicine most programs are looking for (1) will you make us look bad by failing board exams and (2) will you stay in the area. If you've done reasonably well on step 1 and 2 and show interest during your interviews you'll be on par with everyone else. If you did a rotation there and showed interest in the medicine and in the area for a whole month you'll be golden. And remember as an IMG to check for programs that have accepted IMGs in the past. The greater the percentage of IMGs in the program the safer it is.

Reactions: 1 user