Away rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missmaymd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently an MSIII planning to go into Ob/Gyn. I'm interested in MFM and family planning and I am trying to plan my fourth year schedule accordingly. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding which sites are good for experience in this subspecialities? I'm looking for away rotations mostly in the northeast. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak for MFM but I know the following are good for family planning:
Mt. Sinai (NYC)
Columbia
NYU
UCSF
Christiana Care (Delaware)
University of Chicago
BU

Medical Students for Choice has a comprehensive list of programs on their website - look under "externships." They have it broken down by state.

I'm currently an MSIII planning to go into Ob/Gyn. I'm interested in MFM and family planning and I am trying to plan my fourth year schedule accordingly. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding which sites are good for experience in this subspecialities? I'm looking for away rotations mostly in the northeast. Thanks!

Women and Infants/Brown has a great MFM sub-i. I did Family Planning at UPitt and loved it. I'd say pick a place you're interested in and choose based on that!

Members don't see this ad :)
UCSF has a fantastic family planning rotation. You have to apply early though and write an essay about why you're interested in this particular aspect of the specialty.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'll let you know where I end up doing it.

Don't forget UPenn! Very family planning friendly and great training as well! It also has a FP fellowship.

Based on rep alone, Alabama is the place for MFM. Pitt is one of the best for FP.

What do people think about doing away rotations in general? My Dean doesn't like us to do them, but I'm thinking about the West coast and feel like I need to prove I'd be willing the East.

What do you think of a family planning fellowship vs. residency that has abortion training?

What is the difference in the actual work of someone who have a FP fellowship vs. someone who did residency a residency w/ abortion training?

From what I've read, FP fellows do contraceptive counseling, sterilization procedures, abortions. But can't OB/GYNS without fellowships do all these too right?

I understand most programs let you can get an MPH during those two years too but I'm not sure what impact that has on clinical work.

I can't speak for MFM but I know the following are good for family planning:
Mt. Sinai (NYC)
Columbia
NYU
UCSF
Christiana Care (Delaware)
University of Chicago
BU

Medical Students for Choice has a comprehensive list of programs on their website - look under "externships." They have it broken down by state.

Washington Hospital Center also has a family planning fellowship.

What do you think of a family planning fellowship vs. residency that has abortion training?

What is the difference in the actual work of someone who have a FP fellowship vs. someone who did residency a residency w/ abortion training?

From what I've read, FP fellows do contraceptive counseling, sterilization procedures, abortions. But can't OB/GYNS without fellowships do all these too right?

I understand most programs let you can get an MPH during those two years too but I'm not sure what impact that has on clinical work.

In general, any OB GYN resident graduating from the vast majority of program should be very comfortable with contraceptive counseling and sterilization procedures. There may be an outlier here and there with Catholic based institutions but these are bread and butter things for OBs.

As far as abortion training goes, even if you don't specifically perform elective abortions, you will get experience dealing with spontaneous losses in the form of medical and surgical management in all residencies. I don't personally perform elective terminations, but it really isn't all too technically difficult to perform a dilation and suction curettage for an elective termination at 10 weeks versus a spontaneous abortion.

Where a Family Planning fellowship may come in handy is if you plan on doing D+Es for gestations in the 16 week plus range. Those are technically difficult and require a skilled hand in order to prevent maternal death and morbidity. A person needs a fair amount of experience with them and if a fellowship offers experience in this, I could see the value as this type of procedure is something the majority of OBs are not proficient with.

It's a lot about competency/comfort levels. The majority of residency programs that have abortion training will not bring you to a level of competency/comfort required to do late 2nd trimester abortions. If you are interested in FP, you should ask residency programs what gestational age graduating residents feel comfortable doing abortions on.

It is true that you can do all of those things you listed by just being a generalist, but, as I mentioned above, many need the fellowship if they want to do late 2nd trimester abortions. Family planners often do research with population studies, so the MPH can be helpful. Plus, family planning has a ton to do with public health, so it makes sense.

Edit: Ahh, beat to the punch by anon.