Axillary Blocks in the ED

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joeG

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the February 2007 edition of ACEP news an emergency physician encourages the use of regional blocks in the ED, particularly axillary blocks.

I don't think that is something I would encourage.

I understand the basics of axillary blocks. The concern for me is the 1.45% risk of intravascular injection and subsequent seizures, or myocardial depression, prolonged cardiac resuscitation, lack of adequate remedy, and inability to use most regular meds in the ACLS protocol because it may actually worsen their toxicity.

Even if the risk of adverse effects is less than that from conscious sedation why perform a procedure whose adverse effects are potentially so deleterious?

Why does this ED physician like it so much? Here are his reasons as quoted in the article: "Shorter length of stay", "incredibly benign", "Can do it alone", and "no need for IV's."

Say what?

Don't tell me that there is no need for little versed or morphine to take the anxiety away.

I'm not that much of cowboy doctor to walk up to people with forearm fractures and stick a needle into their infra-clavicular space because "I can do it alone." Oh yeah, by the way I also don't like to do CPR for 45 minutes and then have to perform a Head CT scan because the patient isn't waking up.

There is a place for regional blocks but it should be limited to the ones that require little doses of anesthetic, like orbital, mental, or digital blocks.

posted at

JoeG

Members don't see this ad.

Joe - I can't help but notice that your posts all seem to originate from the same website (the link you provided). Do you have any original content to contribute?

Members don't see this ad :)
Joe - I can't help but notice that your posts all seem to originate from the same website (the link you provided). Do you have any original content to contribute?

It's all original. Written by me.

I appreciate the comments from the SDN community. In return, I try to comment to others who post.

Do you not think the posts are of any interest?

joeG
*link removed by DrMom*

It's all original. Written by me.

I appreciate the comments from the SDN community. In return, I try to comment to others who post.

Do you not think the posts are of any interest?

joeG
*link removed by DrMom*
Actually this should be controlled by the moderators. I believe posting links and articles such as this is considered spam. If people wanted to read your blog, they would read it at your website, not here on SDN.

With regards to axillary blocks, did someone not teach you to draw back to make sure you aren't in a vein or artery before you inject? If you're in the axillary vein, you'll get a flashback and will know.

I've read JoeG's blog, and interestingly, not because of the many links here. It must be linked from other medblogs I read. I like it; it's a good read. But Southerndoc has a very good point, and I do think there's a little issue here. I'm trying to put my finger on what it is, and the best I can come up with is that it's a question of the intended audience.

I have a blog; if you click my username and check out my profile, there's a link. But I don't choose to put the URL in my signature, and I don't feel like it would be right for me to "cross-post" something both here on SDN and on my blog. I can't say I've never ever overlapped on a story or a subject, but I think of them as two different things, that have two different purposes.

Maybe that's because my blog has a readership that includes a few friends and acquaintances, and JoeG has a large and loyal readership. I couldn't say. I do know that if I start a thread here, it's because I specifically want the people at SDN to read and respond to what I've said. And I'll craft the message to be the best SDN post I can make it, which is a different thing to me than a blog post. My blog is for the tiny group who read it, and at the same time it's for the whole world. Sometimes I just whine about my job, and sometimes I try to hone my skills as the next generation's Atul Gawande. SDN is something different, something in-between.

I see by clicking JoeG's profile that he has a total of 54 posts as of today, and has started 18 threads. So one of every three times he posts on SDN, it's to start a thread, and presumably that's to direct traffic to his blog, or else share something that can also be found on it.

I think this might rub some people (including me) the wrong way because it makes SDN seem like a secondary thing somehow. This is a good place for discussion. The scenario we have here is a little like meeting somebody for drinks and having them steer the conversation back to Scientology, or timeshares, or their amazing genius kids.

Basically, JoeG, I think we're worried that you don't love us for us, you know...? :laugh:

There is no advertising, no solicitations, no spam involved in the nyemergencymedicine blog. It is medically related, specifically emergency medicine. The posts from the blog also posted on SDN are therefore relevant to EM, and, more importantly, spur intelligent replies that have added to the medical and SDN community.

Exemplified by southerndoc

With regards to axillary blocks, did someone not teach you to draw back to make sure you aren't in a vein or artery before you inject? If you're in the axillary vein, you'll get a flashback and will know.

My apologies if anyone feels offended by the postings - in the future, I will not tag the posting with the original link.

SDN is a remarkable site with a dedicated following.

JoeG

what about ultrasound guidance?