AZCOM Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks everyone for all the wonderful advice. Before another moment goes by, I just want to express my thanks and gratitude to all the upperclassmen for your efforts in advocating for local rotations. I think some ppl passed on AZCOM because of concerns about rotations, but I feel with the progress we're making, we're on our way to becoming an even more outstanding medical school and it's all because of the upperclassmen who paved the way. Thank-you all so very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the advice pooh chong and jgrady.

For those of you interested in purchasing PDAs, you might want to wait until you get on campus this fall and see if the (technology)? club got up and running. It was the idea of one of our student council members last year and when he presented the idea to Dean McWilliams he was all for it. I know one of the ideas was to see if they could get some sort of a deal on a mass purchase or something, and possibly a good deal on some software. I have a medical dictionary on my PDA (Palm m515) and I use it on almost a daily basis. If you see a good deal on something, though, I wouldn't pass it up in hopes that you are going to get something less expensive at school. The club was still just an idea when school got out for the summer, and I wouldn't be suprised if it takes a little time before anything happens with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, if anybody has any specific questions about the housing across the street, (Arrowhead Highlands), let me know. It's a little more expensive than the campus housing, but in my opinion it is well worth it. It's also almost just as close as the on-campus housing.

For MS1 spring electives, what are some of the current students' experiences/recommendations?

larke28 said:
For MS1 spring electives, what are some of the current students' experiences/recommendations?

To be honest, once you are choosing spring electives you just want something that will take the least amount of your time....this is the case for most people, but not everyone.

Most are very chill and laid back, and I would give an approval for Nutrition, TOPS, and Tropical Medicine. Do TOPS for sure, it will be a fantasic experience.

Hi all. Getting close to start... I can't wait!! My wife and I just got back yesterday from phoenix (Boy, it's HOT out there!!!). We got our housing secured around Tolleson. It's a 3-bedroom house we'll be renting that just finished building a couple of months ago. There are A LOT of houses that are being built over there! It's about 1/2 hour away from the campus but my wife will be working at ASU so this is like the half-way point for us. So if anyone prefers living in a house and don't mind commuting 30 mins, Tolleson has many houses available for rent.

Now, here are the questions.

1. When I filled out the financial aid apps, it went through SallieMae (was this for everyone or just me?). Does this mean that I am getting the money through SallieMae this coming year or can I still change the lender before school starts?

2. I'm planning to wait until I get the financial aid to purchase a laptop. I use both PC and Mac, but I prefer Macs. Is there a NEED to get a PC instead of Mac?

3. Has anyone received the award letter yet? I haven't received one and I feel that it's getting kind of late???

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Pooh Chong is right on; TOPS is great fun and the best way I know of to hone your history & physical (H&P) skills. You end up giving 10-20 physicals to High School kids in one day depending on how much time you spend running ECGs or watching Echocardiograms. The repitition really cemented the process and skills for me. And its not much time; two evenings of practice then one 5-hour shift.

I'm doing summer research so I took a Spring elective in research to get the summer project off and running quickly. Medical Spanish takes some time but I heard good feedback on it. The Anatomy prosections take a lot of time but also give you two credits and a grade that can help the 'ol GPA. One classmate did a bigtoe-to-thumb transplant on one side and labeled all the major vessels, nerves on the other. There were lots of cool clinical dissections like that.

Our Oncology Club should have an elective on pallative/chronic care by Spring. We are working with the Wellness Community to get a course started where you learn how to manage and run supports groups for cancer patients.

Here's the complete Spring list for the really curious (I = MSI, II = MSII only):

Advanced Gross Anatomy Dissection 1610 I
Advanced Readings in Human Nutrition 1611 I
Aerospace Medicine 1606 I or II
Early Clinical Experience 1600 I or II
EKG Interpretation 1615 II
End of Life Care 1613 I or II
Essential Procedures in Emergency Medicine 1623 II
Medical Spanish I 1604 I
Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine - Table Trainers 1603 II
Projects in Community Medicine 1620 I or II
Respiratory Disease 1625 I or II
Student Research 1601 I or II
TOPS (added 2/16/2005) 1620B II
Tropical Geographical Medicine 1614 I or II

Zarin79sa,

Can't help you much on the FinAid, but a notebook is definitely not needed. I would wait and get feel for the classes to see how a notebook would help you study given the limited time you have to study.

As a Pre-Med I imagined using a Tablet PC in classes wiht a stylus to edit and add notes directly onto PowerPoint presentations in class. The reality is that just about everyone takes notes on the handouts we get for every class. They are B&W so I go to most classes and use colored highlighters and pens to add details as needed.

The lectures are usually available after class on the Intranet as PDFs, so Macs or PCs work equally well. Seeing the lectures in color can be helpful, but I wouldn't buy a notebook just for that.

A lot of MSII buy notebooks for the USMLE and COMLEX question banks. I just purchased one last quarter for research; an inexpensive and light Dell that I can carry in my backpack when I ride to campus. Like other classmates I've talked to, I had a hard time deciding whether to read through lecture notes three times or write my own outlike of the lectures leaving only enough time to get through the notes twice. I still can't decide which is more effective for me.

So, there's no rush and the way pricing works (I'm a former tech Product Manager) you can be sure that improved models at cheaper price points will be released around Xmas.

Zarin79sa said:
Hi all. Getting close to start... I can't wait!! My wife and I just got back yesterday from phoenix (Boy, it's HOT out there!!!).

It's not even that hot for Phoenix standards at all! I went golfing about two to three weeks ago...it was 112. It will be getting warmer...and warmer....and warmer.

About the laptop, the vast majority don't use a laptop enough to just warrent the purchase of one. I may probably by the only exception. All the powerpoint files are available on the internet (as either PPT or PDF files), and I only go through the lectures on my laptop. Very rarely do I ever use the packets, I prefer seeing the color diagrams, color charts, and sometimes there are details that are lost when the slides are squeezed four to a page. I must also admit that I can probably only do this because I don't take notes and add anything during lecture to my notepackets (when I went to class). But to each their own...so it may be better to wait until you start to figure out what best suits your needs. While there are some things that would benefit everyoen student regardless....there are others things/factors that are more beneficial to individual students.

Thank you guys for your advise. I guess I can save some money for now and wait until couple weeks into school to decide whether I should get a new laptop or not. Or, if I want to go the cheaper way, I could consider getting a PDA instead and forget about carrying a big bulk :).

Zarin79sa,

Several classmates I know of use PDAs for outlining lectures. I tried it for about a quarter with my little Dell X3 and a snap-on keyboard I purchased off Ebay for $21. It worked ok. My handwriting is bad and I prefer typing for hours vs. writing so it was an improvement. But I had to finish the notes, then format them on my PC at home and then print them out so I could see more than an 1/8 of the screen at one time.

It ended up being a bit of a hassle for me and took extra time that I frequently just didn't have. OK, mostly I just like being able to put the fancy science and math characters not available on PDAs directly into my notes ;)

hylacinerea said:
Hello future classmates!
Does anyone know when azcom is supposed to release the new tuition cost for 05/06? :thumbdown:

It went up 7%.

Members don't see this ad :)
goooooober said:
Yes, only AZCOM was not willing to pay local hospitals for rotations. That is why it is ridiculous when AZCOM faculty says "we tried to pay them money but they did not want our $$$$$ because U of A said no".

Are you referring to a specific rotation?

Hi Everyone,

I have a friend who just bought a beautiful house out in Laveen (south Phoenix), and she's looking to rent it out. It's a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath, not too far from campus. I was going to rent from her, but I decided to stay in California for school. If you know a better place to post this information or if you're interested in renting it, please PM me. Here are links to the information she posted on craigslist and yahoo:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/apa/75724847.html
http://realestate.yahoo.com/display...entals-1117237589-565765&tot=1&rpre=0&intl=us

Good luck with school and congrats!

Jason_AZCOM said:
Are you referring to the money AZCOM had set aside for Maricopa County Hosp. rotations, but MWU diverted it to start the AZPOD program?

That is quite an accusation. Do you have proof? I would be very interested to know if this is opinion or fact.

Getting back to the topic at hand, I just wanted to say hello to my upcoming class. I elected to do the 5 year plan last fall so I will be graduating with the class of 2009 and I will be in anatomy with all of you. I think you will love AZCOM; I absolutely do. If you can't already tell, the people at AZCOM is what makes it great. They are very supportive and it's not like a gunner mentality at all at AZCOM. I loved my class and I hope I can grow and be a part of your class as well.

Okay, regarding the living situation, I'm at San Prado. Everyone talks about Arrowhead Highlands and you don't hear much about San Prado. The truth is people at San Prado hate the people at Arrowhead Highlands and vice versa. We have an annual football game called the grudge match....and okay I'm kidding. San Prado opened last August (I believe I was their 5 resident) and while some things were shaky at the beginning like my soap dish falling off and hitting my foot in the shower, they took care of those initial problems. The apartments are smaller but the amenities and finishing is nicer. I also love our pool and gym. Everything is just more new about San Prado but it is smaller like others have mentioned. The best thing about San Prado is that if you like to sleep in like I do (yes, I was ripped on all year for having "bed head"), you can make it to Ocotillo E in 4 minutes from your door to your seat in Ocotillo E no not the parking lot...the actual classroom where you will take your exams. Yes, I actually timed it. This was great right before exams, because I would leave my place 5-10 minutes before the exam and be in class. Slacker reasons aside, I think you will like the place for it's style, small size and feeling of newness.

Take care guys and I will see you in the Fall. If you have questions, PM me. My one piece of advice is to have a lot of fun during orientation week and the week after. Go out to Tempe and Scottsdale, party, fish, hike, spend time with your family, go to McDuffys, Sedona etc.. That's what I'm doing this year which I didn't take advantage of last year. In fact, I was thinking of organizing a trip to Vegas.. if anyone is interested, PM me :laugh:

jgrady said:
That is quite an accusation. Do you have proof? I would be very interested to know if this is opinion or fact.

My post was a question. Neither an opinion, fact, nor accusation.

If you are talking about "gooooobers" post, ask around, I have no knowledge of that...

rahulazcom said:
Getting back to the topic at hand, I just wanted to say hello to my upcoming class. I elected to do the 5 year plan last fall so I will be graduating with the class of 2009 and I will be in anatomy with all of you. I think you will love AZCOM; I absolutely do. If you can't already tell, the people at AZCOM is what makes it great. They are very supportive and it's not like a gunner mentality at all at AZCOM. I loved my class and I hope I can grow and be a part of your class as well.

Okay, regarding the living situation, I'm at San Prado. Everyone talks about Arrowhead Highlands and you don't hear much about San Prado. The truth is people at San Prado hate the people at Arrowhead Highlands and vice versa. We have an annual football game called the grudge match....and okay I'm kidding. San Prado opened last August (I believe I was their 5 resident) and while some things were shaky at the beginning like my soap dish falling off and hitting my foot in the shower, they took care of those initial problems. The apartments are smaller but the amenities and finishing is nicer. I also love our pool and gym. Everything is just more new about San Prado but it is smaller like others have mentioned. The best thing about San Prado is that if you like to sleep in like I do (yes, I was ripped on all year for having "bed head"), you can make it to Ocotillo E in 4 minutes from your door to your seat in Ocotillo E no not the parking lot...the actual classroom where you will take your exams. Yes, I actually timed it. This was great right before exams, because I would leave my place 5-10 minutes before the exam and be in class. Slacker reasons aside, I think you will like the place for it's style, small size and feeling of newness.

Take care guys and I will see you in the Fall. If you have questions, PM me. My one piece of advice is to have a lot of fun during orientation week and the week after. Go out to Tempe and Scottsdale, party, fish, hike, spend time with your family, go to McDuffys, Sedona etc.. That's what I'm doing this year which I didn't take advantage of last year. In fact, I was thinking of organizing a trip to Vegas.. if anyone is interested, PM me :laugh:

I pray to GOD that you had better reasons for taking the 5 year route than going out to Tempe, Scottsdale, partying, fishing, hiking, etc.....

The voluntary deceleration is one of the worst ideas I've ever been witness to. Sorry, but you've struck a royal nerve with me on this topic. I know of people who experienced major life-changing events (deaths in immediate family, chronic disease diagnoses, divorce, etc) who graduated in four....just bothers me to see people slide in order to have more fun....

Boomer said:
I pray to GOD that you had better reasons for taking the 5 year route than going out to Tempe, Scottsdale, partying, fishing, hiking, etc.....

The voluntary deceleration is one of the worst ideas I've ever been witness to. Sorry, but you've struck a royal nerve with me on this topic. I know of people who experienced major life-changing events (deaths in immediate family, chronic disease diagnoses, divorce, etc) who graduated in four....just bothers me to see people slide in order to have more fun....

It's cool, I had sincere reasons related to family, and I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I did this for the purpose of partying which is not the reason. And I know others who had much more dire circumstances pull it off in 4 years. To those people, I have much respect for them but unfortunately I couldn't do the same. I don't recommend the 5 year plan but for some, it's a necessity. BTW, I have read many of your posts and you tell it like it is. I respect that. Also, I grew up a Sooner fan and am from OK originally. I was there when Jamel Holloway and the gang were running the wishbone. Boomer Sooner!

That's cool....that's what the program is meant for.

I know people who started in my class that just wanted extra time to study (or drink, or do whatever...)--you really have to question those people's preparation and reasoning for attending school.

Med school isn't supposed to be easy...just taking the slower route to make it easier makes me question a person's dedication--family issues, health issues, unexpected changes in life situation, etc...are different. That's all.

Glad to see you have good taste in football. Favorite moment in OU history--big guy that died from Miami (what the HELL was his name? Jerome something? Was it Jerome Brown?) breaking Aikman's ankle. Without that moment, no national title in 85.

Zarin79sa said:
3. Has anyone received the award letter yet? I haven't received one and I feel that it's getting kind of late???
I think it says somewhere in the AZCOM literature that MS1 letters go out in July (seems really late, I know). I know that I'm borrowing every bit of it, but it will still be nice to see the numbers on paper saying "yes, you really do get to borrow [insert absurd amount of money here]" to pay for one year of med school.

Congrats to the Class of 2007 for finishing COMLEX I!

Just think 2009ers, in one year you'll be relaxing and reminising about the great, hard year you had as an AZCOM MSI while being as stinking jealous of my class as I am of the 2009ers right now for getting through Boards and didactics! :laugh:

Upperclassmen give us hope...

Boomer said:

Who are you to judge this person, and who appointed you supreme arbiter of med school such that he should have to justify his decision to go the 5 year plan to you or anyone else! I know many people who have taken that particular route for a variety of reasons (yes, some of them so that they could have a life other than med school) none of which have anything to do with you, me or anyone else. Go through the experience in whatever way suits you best and let others do the same.

Ice-1 said:
Who are you to judge this person, and who appointed you supreme arbiter of med school such that he should have to justify his decision to go the 5 year plan to you or anyone else! I know many people who have taken that particular route for a variety of reasons (yes, some of them so that they could have a life other than med school) none of which have anything to do with you, me or anyone else. Go through the experience in whatever way suits you best and let others do the same.

I'm a graduate of the school that allows this sham. I'm also one of the people to whom I referred in my post.

It makes me sad to see MY SCHOOL allow people to take the easy road just because med school is hard. If you read my second post, there ARE justifications for taking 5 years--partying, hiking, and "going to Scottsdale" don't make that cut.

Boomer said:
I'm a graduate of the school that allows this sham. I'm also one of the people to whom I referred in my post.

It makes me sad to see MY SCHOOL allow people to take the easy road just because med school is hard. If you read my second post, there ARE justifications for taking 5 years--partying, hiking, and "going to Scottsdale" don't make that cut.

The fact that you graduated is of no persuasion and what you believe "doesn't make the cut" isn't binding on anyone else. Live and let live.

MS-I's, no questions? Ignore the sideshow from the mosh pit and ask away...

Btw, in case you just arrived and got a chill, things are looking up. This weeks weather forecast just gets better and better ;)

M Sunny 103
T Sunny 108
W Sunny 107
Th Sunny 107
F Sunny 106

Survival tips until school starts: AC, H2O, sunglasses and sunscreen. Never leave home without them!

P.S. AZ should really be called the state of the mister. Where else do people drink coffee in 105+ degree heat outside of a Starbucks and under a sprinkler? And even their textbooks stay dry!!

What lenders do you suggest for private loans? I was looking at Access and Northstar. I went with Midwestern for Stafford. What's everyone else doing?

Also when are you guys all making the move to Glendale? I'll be out there late July/early August. We should all get together and do something before orientation and classes start.

Anybody know the earliest I can move in to student housing? I seem to remember Jose saying the 20th, but I was hoping earlier....

Thanks to all for the posts - very useful!

Can't wait for school to start (?!!)

the phil said:
What lenders do you suggest for private loans? I was looking at Access and Northstar. I went with Midwestern for Stafford. What's everyone else doing?

I just picked up an application on campus for Sallie Mae's Medloan today after getting a good recommendation on it.

I believe I used Northstar last year and had no problems.

Hi everyone! I can't wait until August to meet everyone and begin school. I graduated in 2003 from UCSB and can't wait to be around students again. What is everyone doing now? I feel like I should be doing something to get prepared, but it seems like I just have to wait until the fin aid and housing letters arrive.
mx5red: If you want to move in earlier, call Jose and tell him when. The official move in date is the 20th but you have an option to move in earlier if I remember correctly.
I'm going to be moving in on the 20th. So don't have too much fun without me before the 20th.
About private loans, do you guys think it will be a bad idea to wait until we get the letter? I want to wait until I see that breakdown to see exactly how much.
Also, random question for the upperclassman: my cousin is going to be getting married Labor Day weekend. Do you think it is a bad idea if I leave for that weekend? I don't want to miss out on anything. I don't have to go, but it would be nice. Thanks for your input!! See you soon!!!!

CaliDO said:
Also, random question for the upperclassman: my cousin is going to be getting married Labor Day weekend. Do you think it is a bad idea if I leave for that weekend? I don't want to miss out on anything. I don't have to go, but it would be nice. Thanks for your input!! See you soon!!!!

I can't remember which week Labour Day falls on. The first weekend of school is the best for taking a trip. You'll need to bring along books and study, but you're still in the ramp-up phase. If I remember correctly, Dr. Walter's first anatomy test is the second Monday, at 8 or 9am.

Histo was totally new to me, so I needed about 15 hours of studying for that first test just to stare at Histo atlases and get my bearings. If you're in a similar situation, you might want to take that into consideration before traveling on a test weekend.

non-academic related: what's the best cell phone service out in AZ? I currently have Sprint, which sucks here in New England, but will stay with it if the reception is good out there. (I have recurring nightmares about getting lost and car breaking down in the middle of the desert with a cell phone but no reception)

larke28 said:
non-academic related: what's the best cell phone service out in AZ? I currently have Sprint, which sucks here in New England, but will stay with it if the reception is good out there. (I have recurring nightmares about getting lost and car breaking down in the middle of the desert with a cell phone but no reception)
I have Verizon and other than a couple of dropped calls inside of my apartment I haven't had any problems with it. I know a couple of people who had service through other providers but when their contracts were up they switched to Verizon. I've actually always had Verizon, though, so I don't know any of the pros or cons of any of the other providers.

CaliDO said:
I think you will be fine leaving for the weekend as long as you know what you've got coming up the following week. I actually left for two or three different weekends during the year, and since I knew that I would be gone I made sure I was all cought up before I left. I'm sure I would have done a little better on those tests if I had stayed home all weekend and studied, but hey, you can't let school rule your life. (Actually, it will if you let it.) I'd say go and have fun.

jgrady said:
If you're in a similar situation, you might want to take that into consideration before traveling on a test weekend.
jgrady makes a good point here, but actually just about every weekend is a test weekend. It would be little more accurate to say that you should take into consideration which test you have the following monday. (Some are harder than others.)

Just got the financial aid package by email today. yowsers...sticker shock all over again! :eek: (is it true that MWU does not offer ANY amount of grants for the DO program?) Noticed the estimate for health insurance was over $2300 for the year and I'm assuming that it is based on the school insurance? I went to www.ehealthinsurance.com and the yearly amount for all of the plans were much lower than $2300. So what is the quality of insurance (health, vision, dental..anything else?) offered by MWU? (coverage, benefits, deductibles, etc) And how much does it actually cost? anyone have the MWU insurance or maybe someone who went with another insurance company can offer some insight on which they picked and why?

Also, is anyone selling their furniture? (desk, bookcase, chair, etc...)

larke28 said:
Just got the financial aid package by email today. yowsers...sticker shock all over again! :eek: (is it true that MWU does not offer ANY amount of grants for the DO program?) Noticed the estimate for health insurance was over $2300 for the year and I'm assuming that it is based on the school insurance? I went to www.ehealthinsurance.com and the yearly amount for all of the plans were much lower than $2300. So what is the quality of insurance (health, vision, dental..anything else?) offered by MWU? (coverage, benefits, deductibles, etc) And how much does it actually cost? anyone have the MWU insurance or maybe someone who went with another insurance company can offer some insight on which they picked and why?

Also, is anyone selling their furniture? (desk, bookcase, chair, etc...)

Can't help on insurance or furniture. On the financial aspect, you might to look into work study. There some easy jobs you might be interested in such as the A/V person. You get paid for going to lecture! Also, there are summer jobs on campus and some club events that pay work study (for example H.O.M.E.). I don't know of any MWU grants, but your state may offer them, or even your state Osteopathic organization. Now is probably a good time to start looking around.

larke28 said:
grants aren't given for graduate programs, just undergraduate.

that is a good website to go to for insurance ideas. I called student services to find out about mwu's insurance and they gave me a website to check out that had all the info (ded, etc) for last year's. this years wasn't ready yet. it might be now. I can't seem to find my sticky note with it now, but call them and get the website. for other insurances, you might want to check out blue cross. i live in california now and i did the blue cross of ca 40 ppo...it still works out in arizona, but there is no deductible, so each time you see a doctor you pay 40 copay and then 40% for other stuff. i don't get sick much, so it made more sense for me than paying 100% until i met the deductible, if i even met it at all. and it had a fairly low premium per month. i wouldn't mess with an hmo cause you could be moving around a lot 3rd and 4th year.

i haven't gotten my financial letter yet, but that $2300 figure might include expenses besides the monthly premium such as your copays, etc.

the lady at student services also said that the insurance company that you pick on your own should compare to their's. she said blue cross is generally pretty good, but be careful of what you choose because it might not be acceptable to them. don't know if they would actually make you change, but better to be careful....see you in august!

To the AZCOMers...If you still had your health insurance and car insurance paid from the outside, and all you had was the max alloted $$$ in the budget, is it feasible to pay like $760/mo for rent, + utilities? I want to live close (i.e. Arrowhead Highlands if I get in for next yr!) so gas will be minimal I think; I've always managed to eat fairly cheap ($50-75/wk)...Just curious how ya'll do it :)

What are some of the things you have done/plan to do during the summer after first year? Anyone who participated in the DOCARE program care :) to share their experiences?

crys20 said:
To the AZCOMers...If you still had your health insurance and car insurance paid from the outside, and all you had was the max alloted $$$ in the budget, is it feasible to pay like $760/mo for rent, + utilities? I want to live close (i.e. Arrowhead Highlands if I get in for next yr!) so gas will be minimal I think; I've always managed to eat fairly cheap ($50-75/wk)...Just curious how ya'll do it :)

I'm not sure about the exact situation that you are describing, but as far as my living arrangements go, the max budget is more than enough to live on. With my loan/budget I paid my own car and health insurance (school's plan), and lived within walking distance of campus (Sagestone Apartments) without taking out my maximum allotment. So it can be done from my experience.

The Sagestone apartments are right down the block from the Arrowhead Highlands (now renamed San Lagos at Arrowhead Highlands) and cost slightly less. Although the living arrangements aren't quite as fancy as the San Lagos apts, these are quite nice by my standards.

Right, I was just looking at the AZCOM budget somewhere and so assume you didn't have to pay your own health or car insurance the first year, was wondering how reasonable it would be to live in a place w/ rent of 700+. Thanks for the reply and I want to check out those apts you mentioned!

crys20 said:
Right, I was just looking at the AZCOM budget somewhere and so assume you didn't have to pay your own health or car insurance the first year, was wondering how reasonable it would be to live in a place w/ rent of 700+. Thanks for the reply and I want to check out those apts you mentioned!

It could be tough based on what you are seeking. Arrowhead Highlands and San Prado (my home) charge rent alone in excess of $750 per month for a single bedroom and that is assuming you sign some long term deal. (I signed a 16 month lease). Basic digital cable is around $50 and high speed internet access is $40 and that doesn't include your modem rental which is another $15 if you don't own a cable modem. Water is generally $20 and your electric bill is generally from $60 to $90 depending on how cold you like your apartment. :)

Based on what you are seeking, my advice would be to explore the apartments on campus because they cover your water, cable and high speed internet access. I could be wrong and those amenities may have changed but if you are trying to live alone and close to school, the apartments on campus may be your best option. And in hindsight, I wish I would have lived on campus during first year, because many MS1's live on campus and it's easier to get to know your fellow classmates in addition to meeting up for class projects (like your Biochem and Physiology powerpoint presentation projects).

Whatever you do, make sure you do your homework and take everyone's advice including my own with a grain of salt. Do your homework because you can find great deals. I read SDN a lot last year and was discouraged because some people made it seem like certain situations were impossible (like finding a home or condo near campus for under or near 200K). These people were generally right and were not trying to lead students astray but you can get lucky if you do a lot of searching. A lot of students were fortunate and got some great deals. Sorry didn't mean to ramble...

So my med school friends have been telling me all along that the amount of info you're presented with is like trying to drink water from a fire hydrant. And then there are those who said they were practically failing until they "learned how to study." What does all of this mean exactly? Is there a different way I should be studying when it comes to med school? What are some of the changes the upperclassmen have made to help you focus/study better? And what are some of the things you wish you had known/done differently?

(can you sense the nervousness starting to kick in? :scared: )

larke28 said:
(can you sense the nervousness starting to kick in? :scared: )

It's the Olympics of studying and you're your own coach. Feel any better? ;)

First year starts a little slow, meaning they give you some time to experiment with study times, locations, partners, books, caffeine intake, sleep deprivation, etc.

Use this time wisely and try a few combinations. Second quarter you have Phys on top of Biochem and Gross/Histo/Embryo. We are all individuals with different wiring so while I share what has worked for me, this advice may be of no value to you. With that in mind, I found I needed to study lecture notes at least twice through very focused (3 hrs studying per hr of lecture) before group study was any benefit. So I didn't have enough time to study in groups very often. More important for me was knowing who I could ask questions of when they came up over the weekend and the Profs had all left for the weekend.

My biggest failing IMO was falling into the trap of studying test to test. I gave up previewing lectures beforehand or reviewing them until 3-4 days before the test. It's easy to fall into this routine because there's always another test around the corner. And you need a break once in awhile.

Hope that helps!

Does anyone have any suggestions for student insurance plans aside from the one the school offers? My current insurance expires at the end of this month and I want to make sure I can find a plan cheaper than the one Midwestern offers.

Hi everyone! I saw the class of 2008 have their own Yahoo conference (not sure if it's AZCOM or CCOM). I thought it would be helpful to have our own class conference as well. To join, send an email from your MWU account (to verify you're a student) to [email protected]

hey guys, i am in the process of applying for osteo school, and i was wondering what you guys got into AZCOM with ...location of undergrad/state of residence/ gpa/mcat..

im just really curious because AZCOM is one of my top choices..but i dont know if i can get in..please help..thx alot..PM Me if u dont mind..or reply to this msg