Azusa Pacific University San Diego Campus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdgirlie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I just got accepted to Azusa Pacific University's MA in Clinical Psychology: Marriage and Family Therapy at the San Diego campus and Alliant International University San Diego Campus.

I was wondering if anyone has heard any opinions about Azusa Pacific University at the San Diego Campus for thier MFT program.

Alliant gave me great information when I went there for my interview. Right now I feel I could make a educated decision with the information they gave me. But I want to find out more about APU's San Diego campus and MFT program.

The MFT program at APU in San Diego was just created pretty much so they haven't had their students go through lisencing yet. therefore they don't have any student outcome rates and such.

Thank you for your input! :)
Ashley

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I saw your post and decided to reply because I am also applying to APU's MFT program for Fall. Did you choose them or the other school. I was asked to join a group interview in a few weeks. Do you have any tips on what I should expect? Thank you!

Both are terrible ideas unless you're independently wealthy.

Why would u spend 50-100k on a degree that you can't even bull insurance companies with?

That aside, both places are notorious for accepting literally anybody into their masters programs, which deletes any type of pedagogic aspirations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your input. I have to say that I disagree though. First of all there is a huge difference between Azusa Pacific University and Alliant. The first big difference is that Azusa is not a for profit school like Alliant. They are ranked nationally higher than SDSU. Also, to apply to the MFT at Azusa you have to meet many requirements to be considered. I agree that Alliant may not require anything or much to get in. To apply to the Azusa MFT program you HAVE to have a 3.0 or above, 3 letters of rec, an interview, a statement of purpose essay and it's $35,000 not 50,000-100,000.

Thanks for your input. I have to say that I disagree though. First of all there is a huge difference between Azusa Pacific University and Alliant. The first big difference is that Azusa is not a for profit school like Alliant. They are ranked nationally higher than SDSU. Also, to apply to the MFT at Azusa you have to meet many requirements to be considered. I agree that Alliant may not require anything or much to get in. To apply to the Azusa MFT program you HAVE to have a 3.0 or above, 3 letters of rec, an interview, a statement of purpose essay and it's $35,000 not 50,000-100,000.

Ur wrong on all accounts...

1. Alliant is also non-profit

2. Admission of 3.0, 3 letters of rec, an interview, and a statement of purpose is child's play. That criteria wouldn't have gotten you into my undergrad. Btw, Alliant has those same exact admissions recs.

3. If you take a look at their website, they don't even estimate the base cost appropriately. The total BASE cost is 36,950. If you add living expenses at an average of 20k/yr you're up to 56,950...and that's only counting for 1 yr just to say that you take on 10k a year, which is far lower than you actually will need.
At 6.8% you will pay 395.27 (or 572/month if you took out 40k in living loans) for 300 monthly payments (25 freakin years) and have a total cost of $61,632.21 (or 81,632 if you take on living loans for a 2nd year) for you're degree (THAT YOU CAN'T BILL INSURANCES FOR!).

If you can't bill insurances that means that you must establish a total cash pay clientele. I'm a doctoral level psychotherapist....I;m here to tell you that the cash pay patient is a rarity.
This means that you will work for a community mental health clinic until you're 20 yrs down the road and have established a base and some advanced training (hopefully).

4. There is no evidence that I can find that ASU somehow competes with SDSU. Find some data and we'll talk.

Take my advice son...do something else

Last edited:
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/page+17

Here is the list of national rankings. It looks as though APU is several rankings ahead of SDSU.

Where did you go to school for your doctorate?

For me personally, I have a job that I work and so the cost of living would not really be an issue. I do, however, understand that if someone who was going to just be a full time student had to take out extra loans, that it could be detrimental.

I certainly have a lot to think about though in terms of going through with it or not. Because I do have a daytime job, it is scary to think that I would have to give it up in order to fulfill daytime clinical internship hours. It's frustrating to think about.

For me personally, I have a job that I work and so the cost of living would not really be an issue. I do, however, understand that if someone who was going to just be a full time student had to take out extra loans, that it could be detrimental.

I certainly have a lot to think about though in terms of going through with it or not. Because I do have a daytime job, it is scary to think that I would have to give it up in order to fulfill daytime clinical internship hours. It's frustrating to think about.

We try to keep things reasonably covert on SDN...so I'm not going to talk about my doctorate at the moment.

If you can keep a full time job or a bunch of odd jobs where you can cover each and every cost of the living expense..perhaps you can keep it down to 37k. BUT...37k is alot of &^%^ing money for a degree that doesn't improve your earning potential. I just hope you really consider being skeptical about this before you do it.

There really is no way that you're going to be going to school and working at an internship and not expect to take out living loans...unless you have a huge life savings.

Again...if I can be your skeptical/logical voice....find something else to do with your life.

First of all...the rankings were for total University rank; they had nothin to do with MFT specifically. I think if you do more research you'll find that the MFT from SDSU is more prestigious than that of APU. Moreover, in the MFT world...university ranking doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

Second, and more importantly....SDSU is $5,000 for tuition and fees!!! Azusa has a total MFT cost of $37,000!!!

A few things to think about. I am a recently licensed psychologist and have found that no one cares what school I went to, only that I am licensed and received my doctrate from an accedited school. (This applies to clinical work, not research). In taking my licensing exams, I found that I needed to use the study programs until I was ready to take the exams. The school was a foundation, but it was up to me to put the study time in to pass the exams. I went to a school in El Cajon, CA that is not well known (although it had a good pass rate with the exams) and have had great success with jobs. I do see more opportunities that pay well for psychologists compared to MFTs. I have known many intelligent, hard working people that go to Alliant and they can not work full time and go to school there. I wish you luck.

A few things to think about. I am a recently licensed psychologist and have found that no one cares what school I went to, only that I am licensed and received my doctrate from an accedited school. (This applies to clinical work, not research). In taking my licensing exams, I found that I needed to use the study programs until I was ready to take the exams. The school was a foundation, but it was up to me to put the study time in to pass the exams. I went to a school in El Cajon, CA that is not well known (although it had a good pass rate with the exams) and have had great success with jobs. I do see more opportunities that pay well for psychologists compared to MFTs. I have known many intelligent, hard working people that go to Alliant and they can not work full time and go to school there. I wish you luck.

Thank you very much for your input. I am looking forward to the MFT program although I have not been accepted yet. I have a scheduled group interview coming up soon and I am not really sure what that will entail. Does anyone have an idea of what I should expect?

Hi there,

I know this post is about a year old, but I also applied to the mft program and participated in the group interview. Was wondering if anyone who posted was accepted to the program and if so how soon they were notified after the group interview. thanks!