B.A to become psychiatrist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kayhend314

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to get a B.A in psychology and still become a psychiatrist? Or is receiving a B.S better?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a BA in History and I'm a psychiatrist. Your undergrad degree doesn't matter. Major in Early Medieval Literature if you want. No one will care.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe instead of threatening me and cursing at me, you can explain why you needed to start a 5th thread on the same topic in spite of the fact that the answers you've been given have been consistent and clear.

(edit: so I don't look weird, it should be known that OP had a post deleted that this was in response to)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
upload_2016-3-16_14-32-45.jpeg
Kids these days.

Reactions: 5 users
I have a BA in History and I'm a psychiatrist. Your undergrad degree doesn't matter. Major in Early Medieval Literature if you want. No one will care.

Based on the amount of time I spent in interviews talking about literature/books they might even prefer it.

Technically I have a B.S. in Biology & English but - go humanities majors :)

Reactions: 1 users
I think he should stay with the psychology BA suggestion. That way no one will be paying him for his advice.

Reactions: 2 users
Based on the amount of time I spent in interviews talking about literature/books they might even prefer it.

Technically I have a B.S. in Biology & English but - go humanities majors :)

I never had a difficult med school interview. People all wanted to know about my major and my study abroad experience. Be unique. It pays off.

@hamstergang because I could do as I please I will make 1000 more posts if I wanted to I just find it really crazy how you took your precious time and actually searched up the rest of the forums when you could have just simply replied. Don't ever question my intelligence you don't know **** about me period. Now have a blessed night and don't ever come for me again :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I just find it really crazy how you took your precious time and actually searched up the rest of the forums when you could have just simply replied.
It wasn't much work. I recognized your name, actually. You may not remember, but I responded in 3 of your previous 4 threads.

For this thread to be productive, you would likely benefit from explaining what it is you don't understand about the multiple answers you've already received. There's no benefit from this thread just repeating the old ones unless for some reason you can't remember things a few months out and you can't figure out how to search your old threads.

@hamstergang because I could do as I please I will make 1000 more posts if I wanted to I just find it really crazy how you took your precious time and actually searched up the rest of the forums when you could have just simply replied. Don't ever question my intelligence you don't know **** about me period. Now have a blessed night and don't ever come for me again :)
Instead of worrying about your major, you should reflect on the way you talk to people. Otherwise, you're not going to go far at all. Grow some thicker skin, because if little things like this bother you so much, you're going to have a hard time in life, let alone make it through medical school. Do some yoga or something.

You'd make a great "insert any career without interpersonal interaction"

Reactions: 1 users
You technically don't even need an undergraduate degree to become a psychiatrist. You become a psychiatrist after graduating medical school by pursuing and completing a residency in psychiatry. What you do in undergrad doesn't matter as long as you get into medical school.

Reactions: 1 user

Will you include punctuation?

You technically don't even need an undergraduate degree to become a psychiatrist. You become a psychiatrist after graduating medical school by pursuing and completing a residency in psychiatry. What you do in undergrad doesn't matter as long as you get into medical school.

Technically true, but I'm pretty sure virtually every medical school in the US now requires a bachelor's degree to matriculate, although I do have some professors in their 50s/60s who only have an M.D.

Beer brewing as an undergrad degree.

Fermentation science was a serious contender for me four years ago when contemplating what to get an undergraduate degree in. If only the cost hadn't been an extra $60,000 over four years to attend that uni. Oh well, I guess it is always good to have hobbies!

Hi I am also wanting to go into Psychiatry and am majoring in psychology. I keep seeing that to get into medical school I would need some type of Science major which puts me at a cross roads of changing majors. can you explain to me what it is exactly that I would need? or does it vary by medical school?

Yes, you obviously need a science major to get into medical school. Because I clearly didn't get into medical school and become a physician with my history degree.

Seriously, people. Do you even read what you're quoting?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3 users
Yes, you obviously need a science major to get into medical school. Because I clearly didn't get into medical school and become a physician with my history degree.

Seriously, people. Do you even read what you're quoting?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lmao it's his/her first message :troll:

As much as this sounds like a joke to some of us who are more familiar with the process, you guys should be nicer to people like Angela who wrote that. It's her first message and first time on SDN, so she's clearly new here. She may have absolutely no knowledge of how to get into medical school and has done little research or just doesn't know where to start. That is the whole point of SDN, to help each other out. If you want to be helpful, be helpful. If not, just don't say anything and keep your comments to yourself.

To Angela, first of all if this is your real first and last name, I strongly recommend you change it or delete this account and make a new one. People have fake usernames here in order to keep yourself anonymous. Second, in order to become a Psychiatrist, you should first focus your efforts on gaining admission into a medical school. You can do this by choosing any undergraduate major you'd like, but you must complete a set of pre-requisite courses in addition to completing your BA/BS degree.

I would strongly suggest being a Biology major because many of the courses that are required for the major are the same as those that are pre-requisites for medical school. Therefore, by the time you finish undergrad you will have also completed all of the pre-requisite courses.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to private message me. :)

Reactions: 1 user