B!+<H about 2daries HERE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedAdAG

I am so smart. S-M-R-T :)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: This thread will probably die fairly soon, but thought I'd give it a try anyway!

I am so grumpy tonight. I mean, I'm so tired of frieking talking about myself and how "cool" I HOPE to be IF I'm granted an interview or acceptance.......................

Anyway.... I am soooooooooooooooo tired of filling thes Mofo's out!! :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Im just sick and tired of the borderline BS i've been writing justifying why i want to go to a certain school.

So you're feeling disgruntled about the process, eh?

1.> Write a brief essay stating the primary factors that made you decide to become disgruntled. (2000 Characters).
2.> Describe where you see your anger taking you in 10 years. (2000 Characters).
3.> Tell us about your research experiences and how they relate to being angry. (3000 Characters).
4.> Tell us about any special experiences you think are relevent to complaining. (3000 Characters).

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, yeah. Send a photo and $100, too. We're already working on that rejection letter.

UseUrHeadFred said:
So you're feeling disgruntled about the process, eh?

1.> Write a brief essay stating the primary factors that made you decide to become disgruntled. (2000 Characters).
2.> Describe where you see your anger taking you in 10 years. (2000 Characters).
3.> Tell us about your research experiences and how they relate to being angry. (3000 Characters).
4.> Tell us about any special experiences you think are relevent to complaining. (3000 Characters).

:laugh:
For the love of moses...................................... this is what i feel like saying... and how we all really feel:
"I don't really know why I applied to your school. Give me fifteen minutes to scan through your website, so I can highlight some programs that sound interesting, but I really don't know anything about. Okay, basically, I really decided to apply here because I really want to be close to the beach so on a day after an exam, I can get absolutly $H!+faced with my other anal retentive classmates and have a few laughs. I'd also like to go your school because, well..... I applied to as many as I could afford, and you weren't located in PODUNK, Kansas so I'm pretty cool with that. Anyway, word to your mama. If you want to interview me, I would like to propose a T-shirt and board shorts interview, so I don't have to go out and buy a suit and wear my hair so I look like a lesbian. Spanks and have a nice day! :thumbup:

I know this is probably what you didn't want to hear, but I have actually learned a lot about myself writing these essays and my personal statement...almost more than I would like.

But, yes, it has been very long and we are not done yet.
Maybe take a break for a couple days, watch some movies, go exercise, etc. 2 days won't make or break anything.

Good luck

calstudent said:
I know this is probably what you didn't want to hear, but I have actually learned a lot about myself writing these essays and my personal statement...almost more than I would like.

Yes, you're right, I DIDN'T WANT TO HEAR THAT!!

ha ha

just kiddin'

calstudent said:

But, yes, it has been very long and we are not done yet.
Maybe take a break for a couple days, watch some movies, go exercise, etc. 2 days won't make or break anything.

Good luck
Yeah, these things suck ass to write, but I guess they'll give me something to say during interviews

PreMedAdAG said:
For the love of moses...................................... this is what i feel like saying... and how we all really feel:
"I don't really know why I applied to your school. Give me fifteen minutes to scan through your website, so I can highlight some programs that sound interesting, but I really don't know anything about.

Kaboom! So true.

Okay, basically, I really decided to apply here because I really want to be close to the beach so on a day after an exam, I can get absolutly $H!+faced with my other anal retentive classmates and have a few laughs.

Even more true. Geography, $, and prestige seem to tell 90% of the story. Yet we all have to lie and talk about how much we love a school's program and their curriculum.

I'd also like to go your school because, well..... I applied to as many as I could afford...:

:thumbup:

im working on the first essay "what is the nature of your interest at ____?"
i mean without mentionning the school...its in a bad neighborhood (hint, hint) and its just in the east coast, curriculum is traditional..nothing so unique compared to other shcools.
its major Bsh*t is what i will be writing....it really sucks to embelish something more than i have to. :(

Secondaries are definitely worth b****ing about. I agree with the previous posters - I feel like my essays are lame rehashes of the school website. I feel like they'll be virtually indistinguishable from everybody else's.

I wonder if adcoms actually read through these essays before giving interviews, or whether they give interviews w/o reading them and then just give the essays to the interviewer right before the interview, so he/she has stuff to ask about.

Does anyone else think to themselves, "boy, I am glad that I slaved over my PS forever, begging even strangers to read it so that it was perfect"? What was the point of writing it if the adcoms aren't reading it and if they do they will presumably be reading the **** I am writing now as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm doing the university of mich secondary, USC secondary, and Loma Linda secondary right now. Excuse me while I scream for a second...

And I still have UCSD and UCD to go :( :( :( (assuming I get them)

you mean im not the only one taking ideas from the websites?....hahaha...funny how applying to med school can make you relate to others...can we hold hands and hug now..?? :laugh:

I went to UCD and I hate them so bad right now........ grrrrrrrrrrrr....

Please ask me twenty more essay questions........... damnit

Does anyone have a gun?

PreMedAdAG said:
I went to UCD and I hate them so bad right now........ grrrrrrrrrrrr....

Please ask me twenty more essay questions........... damnit

Does anyone have a gun?
you wont be so pissed when they decide to accept you ;).

the secondaries i hate the most are the ones you just pay money. cause i always knew those schools would be sending me a rejection letter pretty soon haha. my $100 rejection letters. I still have em all saved.

Crap, I just used my secondary form to squash a bug. Now I have to print out a new one :(

leechy said:
Crap, I just used my secondary form to squash a bug. Now I have to print out a new one :(
at least the annoying bug is dead.

Medikit said:
I'm willing to do the UCD secondary if it means I can do the UCD dance like jlee.
do it. the dance is worth it.

the problem with secondaries is that they shouldn't exist. everything should be centralized into amcas. your letters of rec should go to amcas.

if schools want to charge more, fine, do it through amcas. when you add a school, it should say that additional $$ will be charged.

if schools want to ask additional questions fine, do it through amcas.

if schools want to want to make sure you've taken all the classes required, they should complain to amcas to make the course section more standardized so any school can run a scan on course work to check requirements.

status updates should be centralized as well. one place that shows, what in, what's missing, when somethings due.

there's no point in having 2 "pay me and answer my questions" phases. it's stupid that by trying to centralize and ease the application process, it's been made worse than it should have.

the only benefit of secondaries, is that some school screen. but this seems to be a slowly changing trend towards all schools giving auto secondaries.

were there secondaries before amcas?

I agree with the above! I don't mind writing these BS essays, I knew that was a part of the deal, and cheesy or not, at least it's a chance to write more about myself so that (hopefully) the adcom will see that I am well rounded, blablabla
What I'm annoyed about is the secondaries where I have to enter all my EC activites AGAIN, all my classes AGAIN and all my grades AGAIN. If no one is looking at AMCAS, why do we have to do it?

soreed said:
the problem with secondaries is that they shouldn't exist. everything should be centralized into amcas. your letters of rec should go to amcas.

if schools want to charge more, fine, do it through amcas. when you add a school, it should say that additional $$ will be charged.

if schools want to want to make sure you've taken all the classes required, they should complain to amcas to make the course section more standardized so any school can run a scan on course work to check requirements.

status updates should be centralized as well. one place that shows, what in, what's missing, when somethings due.

there's no point in having 2 "pay me and answer my questions" phases. it's stupid that by trying to centralize and ease the application process, it's been made worse than it should have.

the only benefit of secondaries, is that some school screen. but this seems to be a slowly changing trend towards all schools giving auto secondaries.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: AGreed!

the other thing i fear is that if it's this difficult to make applications electronic and easy, than how much more difficult will it be to make medical records/transactions electronic? with applications it should be much easier because it has no network that it's connected to (insurance, pharmacy, etc), so with apps they could overhaul it every year if they wanted to, but look at where they are

soreed said:

amcas cant handle such responsibility, nor would they ever want to. you think getting processed is slow now? think of how slow its going to be if you have them do everything.

and the thing with most secondaries is that there are a good number of schools that want specific types of student. by eliminating secondaries, you eliminate the chance to put out what type of person you are and thus not allowing the med schools to be able to pick the students that best fit their particular class.

and instead of a class with a lot of gunners, i'd want a students that are intelligent along with having a good vibe. people who would contribute postively to the field of medicine.

jlee9531 said:
and the thing with most secondaries is that there are a good number of schools that want specific types of student. by eliminating secondaries, you eliminate the chance to put out what type of person you are and thus not allowing the med schools to be able to pick the students that best fit their particular class.

I believe soreed suggested having AMCAS give out the school specific questions... that way, schools could still select the type of student they wanted based on essays.

basically, either the AMCAS primary should be ditched, or it should be improved and schools should actually use it... :laugh:

i personally think the process could use a lot more centralization.

leechy said:
I believe soreed suggested having AMCAS give out the school specific questions... that way, schools could still select the type of student they wanted based on essays.

basically, either the AMCAS primary should be ditched, or it should be improved and schools should actually use it... :laugh:

i personally think the process could use a lot more centralization.
they do use it. but like anything, they just want another copy of it - usually in condensed form (secondary). tulane has the most extreme version of this by having you actually mail in another copy of your AMCAS so they have it in paper form as well.

jlee: King of Secondary Apologists
;)

liverotcod said:
jlee: King of Secondary Apologists
;)
yes i am. hey if i filled out 39 of them. everyone else will do em too! haha.

jlee9531 said:
they do use it. but like anything, they just want another copy of it - usually in condensed form (secondary). tulane has the most extreme version of this by having you actually mail in another copy of your AMCAS so they have it in paper form as well.

I have a feeling that Tulane just wants to see the other schools that everyone is applying to. They cannot get that information in the electronic copy that AMCAS gives them.

JDAWG07 said:
I have a feeling that Tulane just wants to see the other schools that everyone is applying to. They cannot get that information in the electronic copy that AMCAS gives them.
I cut that part out. They can ask me at the interview.

jlee9531 said:
amcas cant handle such responsibility, nor would they ever want to. you think getting processed is slow now? think of how slow its going to be if you have them do everything. ...

i'd want a students that are intelligent along with having a good vibe. people who would contribute postively to the field of medicine.

The central law school admissions center (LSAC?) does this. All the letters of rec, your grades (you don't even enter them into a database; they read them off your transcript and do that for you), your resume, any addendums, and what have you are all centralized.

And don't you think that you'd get students with a good vibe who were interested in medicine solely off of a personal statement and maybe one other essay?

I mean, it's tough to read much out of "why did you apply to this school?" type questions. It's just a hoop put in your way--one that could easily be addressed in the interview. Really, most of these secondary questions could be best addressed in an interview.

PreMedAdAG said:
"I don't really know why I applied to your school. Give me fifteen minutes to scan through your website, so I can highlight some programs that sound interesting, but I really don't know anything about. Okay, basically, I really decided to apply here because I really want to be close to the beach so on a day after an exam, I can get absolutly $H!+faced with my other anal retentive classmates and have a few laughs. I'd also like to go your school because, well..... I applied to as many as I could afford, and you weren't located in PODUNK, Kansas so I'm pretty cool with that. Anyway, word to your mama. If you want to interview me, I would like to propose a T-shirt and board shorts interview, so I don't have to go out and buy a suit and wear my hair so I look like a lesbian. Spanks and have a nice day! :thumbup:
bowrofl.gif
bowrofl.gif
bowrofl.gif
bowrofl.gif
bowrofl.gif
bowrofl.gif
bowrofl.gif

i don't even want to think about all the time and money i am wasting on this crap! :mad:

i suppose it is good to force us to look at their damn websites, but come on, some of these damn secondaries have three or four essays. i just do not have the time or energy to do this!

I think the whole process is set up to make it difficult on those people who apply to a lot of schools.

That said, I've almost had it with these damn secondaries. I need the next few to be simple: send us $100 and thank you.