B in therapeutics chances of getting into residency program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vasoolraja

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Friends, I am a P3 and I had a 4.0 overall GPA in the past 4 semesters. However, in the 5th sem, I received a B in Therapeutics II. Will this jeopardize my chances of getting into a residency program? I have good research experience, but no leadership experience.
Thanks in advance for your responses!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Friends, I am a P3 and I had a 4.0 overall GPA in the past 4 semesters. However, in the 5th sem, I received a B in Therapeutics II. Will this jeopardize my chances of getting into a residency program? I have good research experience, but no leadership experience.
Thanks in advance for your responses!

I'm a P4, so feel free to take what I say with a grain of salt. I'd imagine that a single B doesn't change the way a residency selection committee views your academics. The research experience is generally good, particularly if it's health-system based. I'd be concerned about the lack of leadership experience more than a single B.

Residencies are competitive. Do you have solid work and/or internship experiences? Do you have solid LORs vouching for your clinical capabilities and ability to handle a patient load? Do you have a cohesive narrative of who you are, what you offer, and where you'd like to end up? Do your experiences match up with your long- and short-term goals? Do you know much about the specifics of the residency programs you're interested in? Can you show how you're a good fit for that program and vice versa? Can you work effectively as part of a care team and do you have evidence that suggests this? Ultimately, are you able to be the best possible resident for that site?

I think these questions probably matter more than a single B on your transcript, but, again, I'm just a P4.

Best of luck in your future endeavors!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
A single B will have absolutely no affect on your ability to match. I completely agree with everything from the previous reply. I'm more concerned that you do not have leadership experience. That area alone can be weighted pretty heavily with those who score applications. I would try with all of your might to land yourself some type of leadership position before you apply for residency next year. Also remember that once you get past the application phase, a lot of your interview is looking at your personality and "fit" for the hospital you are applying to, as well as making sure you have a good foundation of clinical knowledge. We have had hundreds of applicants with perfect GPAs apply but have matched the students with a (slightly) lower GPA whose personality better fits the pharmacy department. It's not just a resident position to fill we are looking for, but also a future coworker and colleague.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're kidding me, right? :sleep:

Residency programs NEVER accept anyone with a B, even if every other grade on the transcript is an A. Most programs are mainly looking for Ds and Fs. That's how they know they've found a quality candidate. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

But in all seriousness... no, it makes no difference at all. Residency programs do look at grades... but the only program I've seen with a GPA cutoff had it set at 3.0. They also look at other factors that have been discussed above, they want a well-rounded candidate.

I know people that were accepted with <3.5 GPAs (with Cs on their transcripts), though they had leadership, volunteer, research/presentation experiences with a few publications on their CV. These were good residency programs too.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'd be a little more concerned over an applicant's overall personality and lack of confidence if they're already doubting themselves over a B. I consider some of the best residents are those with GPAs between 3-3.5 with tons of motivation, which is demonstrated thru leadership and volunteering.

Reactions: 1 user
umm, if you're an anal retentive w/ a lack of personality and poor social skills and individuality then yes

i can only believe usually these type of personalities are the ones that seem to gripe over a B in therapeutics, ****s not rocket science

i'd digress that i can't say having the most leadership or volunteering mean you're gonna be a good resident, and being a good resident does not mean you'll become a good practioner

Reactions: 1 user
umm, if you're an anal retentive w/ a lack of personality and poor social skills and individuality then yes

i can only believe usually these type of personalities are the ones that seem to gripe over a B in therapeutics, ****s not rocket science

i'd digress that i can't say having the most leadership or volunteering mean you're gonna be a good resident, and being a good resident does not mean you'll become a good practioner
ya - you put it very well - one b - ya - means nothing - the type of person that worries that a b will ruin their chances? Chances are there might be other personality issues (Ironically I saw this being the person that got 1 b in pharmacy school and it was in therapeutics and this was before the massive grade inflation I see now)