BA in Psych or BSW?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyF0XY

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm about 99% sure I still want to be a counselor. I would rather get a Masters in psychology, but not a BA because I hear you can't do anything with that. So I was thinking maybe a BSW. But I'm not sure if I'll be able to do any counseling with a BSW?

And If I have a BSW, can I apply for an MA of psych, or do i need a BA of psych for that?

I know my passion is psychology, but I'm not sure about Social Work because they don't make a lot of money, and I dont want to be doing paperwork all day I just want to be a counselor.

(I've been torn with SpecialEd too. But I want to be a counselor.)

What's the best degree for me? I'm a 2nd yr college ready to transfer and declare my major.

Members don't see this ad.

You'll be qualified to be a entry-level caseworker with a BSW. With a BA in (clinical) psych, you're pretty much set for entry casework or low-level research assistantships. Bachelor's degrees, unfortunately, have fairly limited options.

Hate to tell you, but counselors don't make much more than social workers. And very good clinical SWs sometimes make within the range of a psychologist. In private practice, it all depends on skill and where you are. A MSW with licensure (LCSW) will enable you to be a counselor (or a MHC).

Please note that only some states recognize a LBSW, so I would check to see if your state does. That being said, you're really limited with BSW and BA Psych if you want to do counseling. A lot of businesses, however, want Psych people in there but you wont be doing any clinical counseling.

If your goal is a MA in Psychology then get your BA in Psych. Why? BSW will focus less on psychotherapies and pathologies. Sure, they'll go over the DSM and micro clinical work stuff, but they will also go into macro stuff like international refugees, community assessments, organizational and non profit assessments and networking just to name a few. While it could be useful to a Psychologist, its not your focus.

That being said, you may also want to compare a MA in Counseling Psychology and an MSW. In short, a MA in Counseling Psychology which will yield you an LPC. This lets you do clinical counseling. An MSW, however, will let you do clinical counseling and more. Moreover, with an MSW, you can get a LMSW/LCSW and a LPC, and you can only get a LPC with a MA in Pysch.

Moreover, with an MSW, you can get a LMSW/LCSW and a LPC, and you can only get a LPC with a MA in Pysch.

Although that may be true in a few states, it's a gross error to apply that statement across the board. By and large, MSWs get LCSWs (or equivalent) and MA Counselors get LPCs (or equivalent). Even for those states that may have allowed cross-licensure in the past, rules are constantly evolving and that is being phased out.

Anyone on this board should check the state rules and regulations for the license you plan on obtaining. And I'd check the boards of any states you might be moving to, as well. There are differences.