Baby Boomers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tawantinsuyu

I've heard that the future for physicians seems to be going downhill with new policies and cuts in salary, but don't you think the "baby Boomer" generation, now entering the age at which people require more medical care, will offer a large population of future patients?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tawa, if you want to have a licence to print money, become a gerontologist! Someone has to take care of me and my generation.

Just a pediatrics was the field to be in in the 1950s and '60s, so gerontology will be starting, well, now!

I've heard that the future for physicians seems to be going downhill with new policies and cuts in salary, but don't you think the "baby Boomer" generation, now entering the age at which people require more medical care, will offer a large population of future patients?

Reactions: 1 user
Tawa, if you want to have a licence to print money, become a gerontologist! Someone has to take care of me and my generation.

Just a pediatrics was the field to be in in the 1950s and '60s, so gerontology will be starting, well, now!

Just trying to learn about politics/policies as related to medicine

Consensus is that the aging of the Boomer generation will indeed create a massive patient load with lots of the typical conditions associated with the elderly--that's just a simple demography question. However, it remains to be seen whether or not this will translate into any pay increases, etc.

My guess is that it likely won't, since the strain on the system caused by an increasingly large pool of retirees will necessitate cutbacks to entitlement programs. Honestly, though, this is one of the most enormous challenges facing the developed world over the coming decades and nobody has any idea how it will play out.

No way, blacky. We Baby Boomers are an extremely entitled generation! And we vote too. So look for other things to get cut first.

Consensus is that the aging of the Boomer generation will indeed create a massive patient load with lots of the typical conditions associated with the elderly--that's just a simple demography question. However, it remains to be seen whether or not this will translate into any pay increases, etc.

My guess is that it likely won't, since the strain on the system caused by an increasingly large pool of retirees will necessitate cutbacks to entitlement programs. Honestly, though, this is one of the most enormous challenges facing the developed world over the coming decades and nobody has any idea how it will play out.

@Goro For all the advice you've given on this forum, you and your adcom partners deserve some free care from SDNers! If I get in I got you!

Reactions: 1 user
@Goro Will there be a greater shortage when the physician baby boomers all retire around the same time?

Status
Not open for further replies.