Back to the Future: I need your help ;)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

felix_exitus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It has been a while since I signed onto SDN. I began with this dream to become a Physician some time ago. I am now 22, divorced, pursuing an education degree with a science minor, low GPA (2.7) due to a bad year during my divorce, sophomore status, and a motivation to start over and do this thing for real. The problem is - I have no idea where to start! I am open to all forms of advice. I have nothing to lose at this point in my life. I am young and have a fire in my belly. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

What year are you in? What pre-reqs did you take?

Take pre-reqs, work on getting your GPA up, retake low grades in classes, take MCAT, work on ECs, apply DO.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It has been a while since I signed onto SDN. I began with this dream to become a Physician some time ago. I am now 22, divorced, pursuing an education degree with a science minor, low GPA (2.7) due to a bad year during my divorce, sophomore status, and a motivation to start over and do this thing for real. The problem is - I have no idea where to start! I am open to all forms of advice. I have nothing to lose at this point in my life. I am young and have a fire in my belly. Thank you!

If you end up having to explain the low GPA during an interview or secondary, I'm not sure I would mention a divorce at < 22 y/o. It's possible it could cause adcoms to question your judgment. They only see you on paper or for a short interview after all.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
If you end up having to explain the low GPA during an interview or secondary, I'm not sure I would mention a divorce at < 22 y/o. It's possible it could cause adcoms to question your judgment. They only see you on paper or for a short interview after all.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

That's not very fair nor do I think it's accurate. People get divorced.

Reactions: 1 users
No shame in being non-traditional in having been married right out of college, having worked as a patient care technician, doing pretty well in school, divorcing, doing poorly in school and now ready to pick yourself up. That should be explained in your personal statement because adcoms will be curious how you went from 3.5 to 2.7.

Do the best you can in every class you take.
Reach out and get help early if you find yourself floundering.
Get the MSAR (online, sold by AAMC on their website) look at the course requirements for medical school and start checking them off as you take them.
This is a long journey, just put one foot in front of the other.

Reactions: 3 users
What year are you in? What pre-reqs did you take?
I am currently a sophomore in college. Took a long, non traditional route to where I am now. Haven't taken any of the pre med pre reqs yet. But I'm virtually finished with general Ed courses. Started high, went through a troubling year which brought my GPA down, now I'm at a place where I need to get it together.

Additionally, what are some views on an education degree? Perhaps I should change majors? I don't have too much to lose as of now.

Are you saying MD is out of the question? Even this early on?
If you're at a 2.7 at the end of sophomore year, then even if you get close a 4.0 Junior and Senior year, that leaves you around 3.4 cGPA. Could you get into a MD program? Sure - it's possible - especially if you ace the MCAT, but that's a tough course ahead, which is why I suggested DO.

DO offers grade replacement though, so if you retake the classes you did poorly in, then you'll have better chance at raising your GPA. MD programs don't offer grade replacement, so bluntly you'll have to work your ass off to get your GPA to a even somewhat competitive level for MD programs.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're at a 2.7 at the end of sophomore year, then even if you get close a 4.0 Junior and Senior year, that leaves you around 3.4 cGPA. Could you get into a MD program? Sure - it's possible - especially if you ace the MCAT, but that's a tough course ahead, which is why I suggested DO.

DO offers grade replacement though, so if you retake the classes you did poorly in, then you'll have better chance at raising your GPA. MD programs don't offer grade replacement, so bluntly you'll have to work your ass off to get your GPA to a even somewhat competitive level for MD programs.
Well, I'm going into my second semester as a sophomore. I figure I'm looking at 2.5-3 years ahead of me. I haven't even started science pre reqs yet so here goes nothing!