Back-Up Plans for Current Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted582535

I don't want to jinx anything, but do you guys have any ideas for what you'll do if you don't get admitted this year? I want to continue getting experience of course, but I'm under the impression that I really need to "wow" the admission committee following a gap year. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, I'm not 100% sure as I'm so focused on getting into vet school right now, but as I know that interviewers often ask that very question, and the odds of having to apply more than once are high, I do think about it a lot more than I'd like to.

That said, I would most likely apply to a graduate program and would then most likely try again for the class of 2019. Seeing as how I'm older, however, I don't plan to apply more than twice, and really hope I don't have to so I can just get this party started :p

Members don't see this ad :)
If I don't get in this cycle, I'm planning on going to graduate school for genetics. Once I get my masters, I'll decide whether I want to try again or do something with food animal or plant genetics.

I currently have 3 more semesters of undergrad left. If I don't get in then I will just get more experience, graduate in may 2015, and apply again that summer! I planned this out so I if I do not get in then I have this next year to improve on whatever held me back. Hopefully we all get accepted :)

I have stellar experiences, so probably not going to do much more in that area (other than perhaps a small amount of animal volunteering to get my animal fix). The weakest part of my app is grades, and I already finished a masters that has boosted it a bit, but for now I'm planning to take some part time upper level science courses while working full time as a research assistant. If I get rejected again, I may start looking at PhD programs then.

I built in one back up plan before the VMCAS application had opened. If I don't get accepted this cycle, I will begin the vet tech program in my hometown. Build experiences, continue education, make some money, have some time to spend with others and reapply. Scary to have that in plan, but we all know this isn't the end of it. If you've got time, then use it to improve.
Keep your chin up mates.
Happy Thanksgiving!

If I don't get in this cycle, I'm going to go to graduate school to get a Master's in genetics and epidemiology. I've been feeling stuck for a while so I have to do something and re-applying after grad school really depends on my financial situation afterwards. I may not be able to afford to do it for a long time so it all depends.

I'm actually pretty sure I won't be accepted due to my grades, though I'm trying my best to stay positive. I'm currently in a PhD program, already have a Masters, and have so many credits that cumulative GPA boosting is about as easy as moving a mountain. Depending on the feedback I get if I do not gain admission, then I'll reassess what courses to take during the summer and fall. If it seems like a hopeless cause, I will just complete my PhD and see what comes of that. Given my Masters in Epidemiology, I am still eligible for the EIS program (after getting the PhD), so that's good. It's close to what I wanted to do with a DVM...just not my dream job. I want to be able to practice medicine, as well. I may apply to more than my IS next cycle. Just depends on finances and life... I'm just really, really, REALLY hoping I get in this cycle.