Background check question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ranger001

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got my background check back from AMCAS's vendor and a misdemeanor that was dismissed showed up. I did not list this on AMCAS because I was not convicted and the school I am accepted to did not ask to list ANY criminal charges. On the check it says the case was dismissed so will this negatively impact me by it showing up or should I dispute it. The charge was a MIC.

Members don't see this ad.

So I just got my background check back from AMCAS's vendor and a misdemeanor that was dismissed showed up. I did not list this on AMCAS because I was not convicted and the school I am accepted to did not ask to list ANY criminal charges. On the check it says the case was dismissed so will this negatively impact me by it showing up or should I dispute it. The charge was a MIC.

nope

you correctly answered all the questions, and you disclosed all requested information. i was suspended during elementary school because i accidentally hit a kid...i have no plans disclosing that anywhere.

also, the amcas specifically tells you to NOT disclose arrests and charges; it only asks for convictions.

I sought out legal counsel in regards to your question. You did everything correctly.

Members don't see this ad :)
just out of curiosity, what's a MIC? I know what a MIP is, but never heard of a MIC.

Minor In Consumption. In AZ you can get cited for having any amount of alcohol in your system.

Should be fine, since it was dismissed. If you had something like deferred adjudication you would have to list it, probably one of the bigger mistakes people make. I had to list mine, no problem getting in.

Just a note. Keep any documentation/records you have of the incident. You will be asked about it again on residency and license apps. Sucks that something to minor keeps coming up over and over but just be honest and you will be fine.

Survivor DO

Dispute it. This happened to a friend of mine a couple years back and certiphi corrected the mistake and removed it.

Well I released it hopefully the school notices the dismissed under the reported misdemeanor

Aren't you still supposed to report anything on your record even if it was dismissed?

It specifically says on CERTIPHI to not disclose anything that has been dismissed or expunged.

No AMCAS only says to list convicted misdemeanors or felonies.

nope

you correctly answered all the questions, and you disclosed all requested information. i was suspended during elementary school because i accidentally hit a kid...i have no plans disclosing that anywhere.

also, the amcas specifically tells you to NOT disclose arrests and charges; it only asks for convictions.

It sounds like you still have not taken responsibility for your mistake. I would be concerned if I was an adcomm.

...end sarcasm.

Aren't you still supposed to report anything on your record even if it was dismissed?

Nope.

Misdemeanor
You must answer this question in the application: Have you ever been convicted of, or pleaded guilty or no contest to, a Misdemeanor crime, excluding 1) any offense for which you were adjudicated as a juvenile, 2) any convictions which have been expunged or sealed by a court, or 3) any misdemeanor convictions for which any probation has been completed and the case dismissed by the court (in states where applicable)?

Nope.

Misdemeanor
You must answer this question in the application: Have you ever been convicted of, or pleaded guilty or no contest to, a Misdemeanor crime, excluding 1) any offense for which you were adjudicated as a juvenile, 2) any convictions which have been expunged or sealed by a court, or 3) any misdemeanor convictions for which any probation has been completed and the case dismissed by the court (in states where applicable)?

this

OP doesnt need to do anything imo. he truthfully and honestly addressed ALL questions.

medical schools aren't entitled to every detail of your private life.

Would you have to report any arrests on TMDSAS? Or is it just convictions?