Background Check

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saj000

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in a situation where I may have something on my background check, but it is in the process of being removed/expunged. I understand they don't do background checks until January 1 at the earliest. Can I get a background check from certiphi? What company should I use to get a background check on myself before AMCAS does their own? I just want to make sure I don't look like I'm trying to deceive them and say my record is clean when it shows up that it isn't.

Members don't see this ad.

There are lots of ways to do background checks on yourself... I think you can get a DPS check for $5. Just google.

If you have the court order for the expungement that's all you need. If something shows up on your background check that shouldn't be there (i.e. expunged, sealed, etc...) you can tell the entity that performed you background check and they will have no choice but to fix the mistake.

If it hasn't been expunged yet, you will have to either list the charge and explain your situation, or wait until the judge signs the court order. Personally, I'd wait until it's off your record.

Use Certiphi. Consider it part of the cost of applying. Worth it for peace of mind.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Use Certiphi. Consider it part of the cost of applying. Worth it for peace of mind.

How do I go about this? There website isn't very straightforward...I emailed their customer service email.

perhaps call if you don't get an email response.You have plenty of time.

Once you submit your AMCAS, they provide you a link to Certiphi to run the same background check that is performed once you are accepted.

I am in a situation where I may have something on my background check, but it is in the process of being removed/expunged. I understand they don't do background checks until January 1 at the earliest. Can I get a background check from certiphi? What company should I use to get a background check on myself before AMCAS does their own? I just want to make sure I don't look like I'm trying to deceive them and say my record is clean when it shows up that it isn't.
You might have to mention that you have an expunged record on your secondaries, if specifically asked.

I'm not applying this year, so I won't be turning in the application yet. Is there another reputable company that is comparable to CertiPhi that I can use?

I see no reason to use any other company. If you think you need to run your own background check do it once and properly.

If your conviction is expunged, it shouldn't show up on Certiphi. Even if it were to for whatever reason, they give you the option to review and dispute any findings that are incorrect or shouldn't be there (like dismissed or expunged convictions) before releasing the report to the school. Since you aren't even applying this year, there should be plenty of time for the courts to complete the expungement process, assuming you aren't still on probation or anything. Keep in mind, however, that even though your conviction may not show up on Certiphi, you still may be required to disclose the conviction on secondaries (be sure to read the questions very carefully, talk with a lawyer if necessary).

I've never had traffic violations or any kind of citation (or interactions with court). Would Certiphi pull up something that I'm completely unaware of?

I'm all for doing things for peace of mind, but it seems like I'm just throwing away money here. Anyone have a different opinion?

I've never had traffic violations or any kind of citation (or interactions with court). Would Certiphi pull up something that I'm completely unaware of?

I'm all for doing things for peace of mind, but it seems like I'm just throwing away money here. Anyone have a different opinion?
You are playing with "what ifs." Do the background check, then follow up on the background check. There's no other way.