Backup option for PHD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh and I am not hating you for saying it. I didn't go either route so I have my own opinions on what makes me a good clinician. Of course, I might be a bit biased about that. ;)
It's weird I feel like years ago the board was more equally divided with Ms first students but it anecdotally seems to have shifted over time. Or the threads I read just attracted a lot of ms first researchers and a lot of defensive direct admits lacking self awareness.

Members don't see this ad.

I think my point as you describe it can be disproven. A. I stated that top tier programs differentiate research competent undergrads from fakes better than average programs. B. They have to work a lot harder although they often do and graduate equal. C. They're a drain on all the ms students who have to socialize them to realize that despite their mis-self perceptions they can actually learn other ways to do things, which they seem to learn over time

I'm not sure what you are saying here. Are you saying these are measurable things?

Members don't see this ad :)
First, how would you propose to measure them? Second, without having seen any of these things measured, how did you come to the conclusion you did to generalize to tens of thousands of people in the field?
For a guy whose argument is substantiated by anecdotes you are pretty aggressive against anecdotes. Let me use my magic powers and speculate that you didn't get a master's before phd.

Just curious as to where the conclusions came from. Also, you are aware that your argument is based on anecdotal evidence too, right? Remember, I'm not the one saying X is better than Y, rather that there is no actual data out there to make that conclusion. At least for the clinical stuff. Still just curious as to where it comes from if it's not anecdotal from one isolated program.

Just curious as to where the conclusions came from. Also, you are aware that your argument is based on anecdotal evidence too, right? Remember, I'm not the one saying X is better than Y, rather that there is no actual data out there to make that conclusion. At least for the clinical stuff. Still just curious as to where it comes from if it's not anecdotal from one isolated program.
It's anecdotal from multiple programs and I'm welcome to incorporating anecdotes from others. It is what it is, just my experience across programs. I find direct admit peers a drain as they struggle to graduate on equal footing. Anyway assuming they spent those two years of ms coursework actively doing research a bit different than their doctorate... it's hard to say this provided no lasting value not gained by those without an intensive ms

What does "graduate on equal footing" mean? Also, glad we could clear up that it's all biased anecdotes all up in here. However, if you did want to substantiate the "better researcher" notion, the data is there if you ever want to do a study.

What does "graduate on equal footing" mean? Also, glad we could clear up that it's all biased anecdotes all up in here. However, if you did want to substantiate the "better researcher" notion, the data is there if you ever want to do a study.
The data on frequency of output is available. I've seen plenty of garbage research and so have you, and faculty who are just machines and crank out research does not indicate diverse knowledge for a more valuable article with a better written, more valuable discussion. That data is not available.

Making a claim that MS students have an edge because they have more research experience, that is one thing, and it could lead to a testable hypothesis. To say that the non-MS students have more ego than skill is a bit of a different statement. Just going into my research methods class teaching mode.

Reactions: 1 user
I mentioned more than just frequency as a measure. But, I also thought you said that these things are measurable. Now, you are seeming to say that they are not?
Are measurable is not the same thing as "data is available." I teach research methods too, and I encourage my students to make hypotheses but not be wedded to them until data slowly supports or discomfirms it, and even then identify limitations of what data we have. And right now, all we have is anecdotes suggesting hypotheses.

Ultimately though this is sort of a weird argument. Who cares what path someone takes to get into a solid doctoral program in clinical psychology? It seems like you are making an argument out of thin air.

Members don't see this ad :)
The data on frequency of output is available. I've seen plenty of garbage research and so have you, and faculty who are just machines and crank out research does not indicate diverse knowledge for a more valuable article with a better written, more valuable discussion. That data is not available.
Just for my knowledge, so I understand where you are coming from, you are a PHD plus MD student, right as your profile claims. Have you finished your PHD already?

Ultimately though this is sort of a weird argument. Who cares what path someone takes to get into a solid doctoral program in clinical psychology? It seems like you are making an argument out of thin air.
I made an observation, the argument formed in response to it

Actually, you made an assertion, not an observation. I was just being a good scientist and questioning the data behind the assertion. I got my answer in that it was anecdotal and biased. All I needed.

Reactions: 1 users
Just for my knowledge, so I understand where you are coming from, you are a PHD plus MD student, right as your profile claims. Have you finished your PHD already?
Working on it. The mph (and similar masters programs) are actually a pretty common pathway for people who didn't get in the first round and working in a medical research setting *anecdotally* is a boon and sets us up to teach students without

The main reason I chimed in was that I had never heard anything along those lines so it piqued my curiosity. The other reason was I don't like broad unsupported claims, they make me feel kind of queasy. I get enough of that watching political debates.
:vomit:

Speaking of ad hominems..... Want to whip out our CV's/Phallus and have a sword fight? :)
I would love to have my hypothesis that you were direct admit and would be SO EASY for a scientist to test in a few seconds confirmed or denied

I don't see how that answers the question of "scientific skill." Let's be good scientists and set up the intro and methods correctly first.
It also doesn't answer if there is a common neurological pathway between ADHD and autism. There are infinite hypotheses it doesn't answer. You can resolve that particular hypothesis though, though I suspect you are actively doing so.

As someone who went to a PsyD program because I didn't really know what the heck I was doing coming out of undergrad, I'm wondering where my ego and skills rank.
Gentlemen, please, one test at a time. First neuro

I would rather have the dependent variable be annual salary than publications though. :D
Or am I just compensating for my own sense of inadequacy? :arghh:
Well you are well aware of the need to control for extraneous variables! I worked with a particularly skilled PsyD graduate who said she made more stripping than her first year PsyD salary. So let's identify additional income factors first please!

It also doesn't answer if there is a common neurological pathway between ADHD and autism. There are infinite hypotheses it doesn't answer. You can resolve that particular hypothesis though, though I suspect you are actively doing so.

Two logical fallacies here.

Hmmmm, this coupled with your statements about "more valuable research" and your statements about ego.....Seems you are really bitter about this issue on a personal level. I found a new bias to add to the bias I have so far observed - phd vs psyD :). Now its MS vs non-MS.

Mod Note: All, let's please try to remain professional and on-topic. Perhaps the digression the current discussion has taken regarding pros and cons of entering a graduate program with/without a masters degree (to which I admit contributing) might be better addressed in a separate thread.

Given that much of the first two years of a Ph.D. program, as well as any good masters program, is spent on coursework in statistics and research design, as well as hands-on "in-lab" research experience, It would not be surprising that straight from undergrad admits are not as proficient in research as someone with a masters. Similar for clinical skills- hopefully that masters program taught you more than would be garnered in just an undergrad education.

I think one of reasons to prefer a straight from undergrad admit is that, after initially training them in lab procedures/culture/etc., they will be around for a few more years (than an already masters admit) to aid in the lab and be productive.

Given that much of the first two years of a Ph.D. program, as well as any good masters program, is spent on coursework in statistics and research design, as well as hands-on "in-lab" research experience, It would not be surprising that straight from undergrad admits are not as proficient in research as someone with a masters. Similar for clinical skills- hopefully that masters program taught you more than would be garnered in just an undergrad education.

I think you'd find a vast difference in the amount of undergrad research experience and productivity (posters and publications) between the two. Also, depends on what year the comparison is 1st year straight admit vs 1st year from masters admit. Of course they will be a clinical difference at that point in time. I highly doubt it carries forward in any systematic way, though.

I have my master's in psych, and completed a clinical and thesis track - the options are there, but you have to look for them! Last year I was a clinical supervisor at a "halfway house" type facility for people stepping down from a psych hospital before the re-entered the community. I supervised employees, did SOME one on one treatment planning with clients (I'm not licensed), and completed program assessment and development for our outpatient program. And this year I'm a research coordinator at a huge research hospital. So, I still get to interact with patients which I like, but we're collecting data the whole time. And if you want to keep your options open for teaching, you could always adjunct.

I would love to have my hypothesis that you were direct admit and would be SO EASY for a scientist to test in a few seconds confirmed or denied

Oh! I think I know the rules to this game!! Let me try:

Question: My friend and I entered graduate school at an R1 the same year. We were in the same Ph.D. program for the same number of years. We both did internship and postdoc at medical schools and are both now faculty at AMCs. We both had bachelor's degrees in psychology and were gainfully employed before applying for doctoral programs. Which one of us had the master's?

Answer: It's me, because I'm the one to point out that our outcomes are functionally equivalent.

Did I do it right?

Reactions: 1 users
Oh! I think I know the rules to this game!! Let me try:

Question: My friend and I entered graduate school at an R1 the same year. We were in the same Ph.D. program for the same number of years. We both did internship and postdoc at medical schools and are both now faculty at AMCs. We both had bachelor's degrees in psychology and were gainfully employed before applying for doctoral programs. Which one of us had the master's?

Answer: It's me, because I'm the one to point out that our outcomes are functionally equivalent.

Did I do it right?
Let's start a new thread if you want to continue. I would love to hear the debate!